BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
asc_one

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [and firmware bug]

Post by asc_one » 14 Mar 2014, 12:07

Anyone knows where i can buy this MSTAR programming unit. Google doesn't give me anything. I'm also unlucky i guess. I have the old firmware.

asc_one

Post by asc_one » 14 Mar 2014, 12:14

Hm . This thing is to expensive for a one time use. And ofcourse i cannot receive this thing due to my location ( germany) . either don't want to wait 3 Weeks + for RMA...

revnu

Post by revnu » 14 Mar 2014, 13:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Good things come to those who are patient...

I am patient and going to wait one more month in hope they get out a new hardwarerevision.

But plz can you help understand me this bug. So BenQ states, that the bug will not affekt normal usage. I think this is a lie, because as I understood it the bug makes that I have more blurring in the lower field of the monitor, even if I dont play games, but watch movies with fast motion.

Chief, what do you think, is it likely that they will bring out fixed versions in aprox one month, that are better performing, even if I dont use your utility?

greetz revnu

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 14 Mar 2014, 17:29

Hi there,

Very interested in this monitor having read the latest posts and learned that I can make it do 60Hz strobing - too many of my favourite games are old...

One question that may be dumb; are the monitor settings that are to do with strobing persistent across inputs? Could one customise the strobing with the BB utility, and then switch to an Xbox on the HDMI, or a Dreamcast running into the VGA port?
Failing that, does the monitor's normal "Blur Reduction" setting function on those other inputs, or is it greyed out? These things are never specified in the manual!

Mouzuone

Post by Mouzuone » 14 Mar 2014, 19:04

revnu wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Good things come to those who are patient...

I am patient and going to wait one more month in hope they get out a new hardwarerevision.

But plz can you help understand me this bug. So BenQ states, that the bug will not affekt normal usage. I think this is a lie, because as I understood it the bug makes that I have more blurring in the lower field of the monitor, even if I dont play games, but watch movies with fast motion.

Chief, what do you think, is it likely that they will bring out fixed versions in aprox one month, that are better performing, even if I dont use your utility?

greetz revnu
The bug will still exist even in the updated version. Obviously, they won't admit the bug for indemnity reasons. They call the new firmware an extra feature in addition to the old firmware to work with the utility.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 22:51

LogicElite wrote:And where we can find this tool?
Keep tuned. I'll be posting information that tell you how to use the MSTAR ISP upgrader to install the new Z-Series firmwares.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 22:55

Mouzuone wrote:The bug will still exist even in the updated version. Obviously, they won't admit the bug for indemnity reasons. They call the new firmware an extra feature in addition to the old firmware to work with the utility.
It is a matter of perspective. Some people (such as myself) has viewed it as a bug, while others view it as normal. But either way, the "fix" is here -- it's the V2 firmware -- and I'm happy there's a solultion now, and people can now install V2 firmwares on their monitors if they wish (using an MSTAR ISP upgrade).

Either way: What's done is done. Blur Busters Strobe Utility turns the strobe crosstalk from "worse than LightBoost" into "competitive with LightBoost", while still having better colors than LightBoost and having a massively wider persistence adjustment than LightBoost. The great thing is, with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, is that persistence is fully adjustable all the way from clearer than "LightBoost 10%" all the way to much brighter than "LightBoost 100%". This is good for fans of the adjustable-persistence feature.
revnu wrote:Chief, what do you think, is it likely that they will bring out fixed versions in aprox one month, that are better performing, even if I dont use your utility?
This is the "fix" -- it is as good as the Z-series will get. The strobe crosstalk can be reduced by more than 90% (when combining Blur Busters Strobe Utility, combined with the "Vertical Total 1350" tweak, both at the same time). LightBoost always had a bit of strobe crosstalk near the top/bottom edges, while being darn near perfectly clear along most of the screen. The Blur Busters Strobe Utility is now able to do something equivalent.

Also, there is much less strobe crosstalk at 100Hz and 120Hz than at 144Hz, but it can still be tolerable at 144Hz, especially if adjusted to make the center band pretty clear clear. The strobe crosstalk limitations is one of the reasons why LightBoost was not available at 144Hz. But it's there, if you don't mind the slightly increased strobe crosstalk.

What BENQ has not changed is the default strobe crosstalk setting, they have it calibrated to have slightly less input lag (e.g. 1-2ms less) in exchange for awful ghosting at the bottom half of the screen. But with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, you can make it much better overall quality than LightBoost.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

revnu

Post by revnu » 15 Mar 2014, 06:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote: What BENQ has not changed is the default strobe crosstalk setting, they have it calibrated to have slightly less input lag (e.g. 1-2ms less) in exchange for awful ghosting at the bottom half of the screen. But with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, you can make it much better overall quality than LightBoost.
Did I understood this right: if I completely turn off MBR non off these bugs should affect the Monitor and it will perform well for normal Desktop-usage?

Im asking this, because for normal usage I want to use the flicker free technology, non-pwm Backlight. And if I play BF3 I activate your tool to eliminate blurring ?

So if this is true Im good to go. Then I simply wait till The Monitors are sold with new Firmware on it and this waiting has an end.

greetz revnu

phroaig

Post by phroaig » 15 Mar 2014, 07:45

On the morning of BenQ F/W V2 release
I decided to get my Money Back.
It was Z-day-of-no-return, so a friend of mine got me a 3-hour lift through friday morning traffic jams...
IN VAIN
I failed -- as it turned out, my youger one unstuck the Very-Important-Piece of plastic from the mirror surface that surrounds the VESA mount -- he thought it would be better not to obstruct the vents. Very smart...
So I backpacked the BoxQ to a nearby BenQ service (2 or 3 km walk, lucky me)
After a 10 min cross-talk with lazy youngs
("a S/W update is NOT a warranty case", "strobe sync... and WHAT?" etc)
it seemed to me that their "Master Technician" became interested in the subject discussed.
So they TOOK the Z -- "only to TRY" -- to flush it with a V2 missile.
Will wait.

P.S.
benq_ripoff wrote: Their QC is clearly in the toilet
In my native language BenQ, if transliterated, is pronounced as "Benya" -- an affectionate diminutive
name for Benjamen. So their QC -- probably -- were Z-strobed by an alien Golem.

Haste

Post by Haste » 15 Mar 2014, 09:33

revnu wrote:Did I understood this right: if I completely turn off MBR non off these bugs should affect the Monitor and it will perform well for normal Desktop-usage?
Im asking this, because for normal usage I want to use the flicker free technology, non-pwm Backlight. And if I play BF3 I activate your tool to eliminate blurring ?
Yes. The "bug" is related only to the MBR mode. So no issues there.
Note that some people like to use the strobbing mode for normal desktop use as well. For example to be able to read text while smooth scrolling on their web browser.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X