Did I destroy my panel/cause problem with my overclock?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
pp-pp-man

Did I destroy my panel/cause problem with my overclock?

Post by pp-pp-man » 17 Sep 2023, 06:17

Hi, this is my first post here after months of just reading and scrolling :) Hopefully this is the right corner to post this.

I have an old BenQ 2720Z with newer firmware (above V2). I am saving up for something with 165 or 240Hz at the moment but wanted to try to overclock my monitor. I created a custom resolution with CRU and the 165Hz overclock works fine, and I can feel the difference playing counterstrike.

Two problems:

1. How can I "calculate" or find the settings for Front Porch, Sync Width, Back porch, Blanking and/or Total? Also, polarity?

2. I am not sure if this problem came with the overclock, but it is here to stay as far as I can tell. For some days now, I can see small white lines on my monitor (left to right) which fill 85% of the screen and then stop. After this line, the lines disappear and the panel also has more contrast in the area.

I tried taking a photo of it, but it is rather hard with a phone. You can't really see the lines. The strong black bar on the top is just the Photoshop window. I am talking about the change in gray below.

Maybe someone can help me out or clear things up for me. A lot of stuff here is too technical for me.

Thanks a lot!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Did I destroy my panel/cause problem with my overclock?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2023, 18:10

pp-pp-man wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 06:17
1. How can I "calculate" or find the settings for Front Porch, Sync Width, Back porch, Blanking and/or Total? Also, polarity?
You can't always calculate for overclocks. You just have to become familiar with what the stuff means, as a virtual resolution beyond visible resolution. Sync's were used to reset a CRT beam, and porches were used as overscan. These vestigal paddings in digital signals still remain today, wasting bandwidth, but this gives you a slush fund that you can transfer to active image (e.g. reduced porches/sync).

It's luck of the draw -- sometimes monitors glitch when the porches are too big or too small, other times, it allows you to overclock higher because the Pixel Clock (number of pixels/sec) can support more Hz (refresh cycles per second) if you reduce the bandwidth wasted in large porches/sync. To overclock more within a bandwidth budget.

Other times you're playing with monitors' sensitivities, so you're doing lots of experimenting. Sometimes overclocks work better with a goldilocks porch & sync.

See CRU Glossary
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pp-pp-man

Re: Did I destroy my panel/cause problem with my overclock?

Post by pp-pp-man » 18 Sep 2023, 17:58

Thank you for the clarification! I guess I need to better understand what I am doing. Will check out the glossary. Appreciate it!

Even though I reset everything, the faint line stays. Could this also be a problem from changing settings?