Unacceptable Over-Saturation, Stutter & Ghosting on XL2720Z

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
gamerscore

Re: Unacceptable Over-Saturation, Stutter & Ghosting on XL27

Post by gamerscore » 15 Nov 2014, 01:22

Falkentyne wrote:Can anyone with V3 firmware please try HDMI and see if Hue and Saturation are unlocked or locked?
If others with V3 are able to unlock Saturation in HDMI, then oppo needs to RMA his monitor as it's defective, as it seems his defaults to 100 and is also disabled.
If no one on V3 can unlock hue/saturation but all V2s can then V3 is bugged and people probably shouldn't update to it (Chief can contact Benq)
I have v3 firmware and both Hue and Saturation are unlocked and are set to 50 by default.
Last edited by gamerscore on 15 Nov 2014, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz
Gigabyte Gefore GTX 980 G1 Gaming
Benq XL2411Z

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Nov 2014, 01:38

Ok, then it's quite possible the OP has a defective monitor, if he can't get hue/sat to unlock through HDMI.

I actually found out something funny.
You can ADJUST hue and saturation in HDMI, save it to a gamer profile (hell, even a default preset, but I don't suggest that), switch back to DVI, then activate that preset and even though the adjustments become disabled again, the settings you used get RECALLED and and applied in DVI mode. I'd only do this for changing an EXISTING gamer preset and not one of the default presets, that way if you mess up, you can just overwrite the preset.

Another person in the general display forum section has banding on blue gradients, which I don't have, so I'm trying to get him to run AIDA64's monitor diagnostics test and check the blue gradient fill to compare mine..could be some bad monitors or cables floating around ...

gamerscore

Post by gamerscore » 15 Nov 2014, 01:46

BTW In Assassin's Creed Unity I can't stand the ghosting and blurr of the textures no matter how slow you scroll the mouse left or right, hard to focus except for your character. Anyone experiencing this? I noticed also the ghosting in other games, but it's more prevalent in ACU. Running the game at < 30-40 fps.
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz
Benq XL2411Z

gamerscore

Post by gamerscore » 15 Nov 2014, 01:55

Falkentyne wrote:Ok, then it's quite possible the OP has a defective monitor, if he can't get hue/sat to unlock through HDMI.

I actually found out something funny.
You can ADJUST hue and saturation in HDMI, save it to a gamer profile (hell, even a default preset, but I don't suggest that), switch back to DVI, then activate that preset and even though the adjustments become disabled again, the settings you used get RECALLED and and applied in DVI mode. I'd only do this for changing an EXISTING gamer preset and not one of the default presets, that way if you mess up, you can just overwrite the preset.

Another person in the general display forum section has banding on blue gradients, which I don't have, so I'm trying to get him to run AIDA64's monitor diagnostics test and check the blue gradient fill to compare mine..could be some bad monitors or cables floating around ...
I noticed the HDMI default saturation settings were better, so I saved them in gamer 1 profile then switched back to DVI. :D Assassin's Creed Unity looks better now, without tweaking colors in AMD CCC.
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz
Benq XL2411Z

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Nov 2014, 02:11

Weren't your default saturation settings already 50/50 (sat/hue?)
So you're saying saving the default setting (which was already 50/50) in hdmi mode, then recalling it in DVI changed the colors?

I'm going to try this...

gamerscore

Post by gamerscore » 15 Nov 2014, 02:43

Falkentyne wrote:Weren't your default saturation settings already 50/50 (sat/hue?)
So you're saying saving the default setting (which was already 50/50) in hdmi mode, then recalling it in DVI changed the colors?

I'm going to try this...
I didn't check what was my default saturation when I was using DVI. Maybe it triggered the monitor to use the default when I switched to HDMI the first time and make the setting permanent when I saved it in gamer1.
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz
Benq XL2411Z

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Nov 2014, 02:52

Yeah for some reason when I tried it just now, it just ignored the changed hue/sat and used the default >_>
It sure worked when I tried this yesterday...but now it's not working...although I *did* save it to the FPS1 profile yesterday LOL

OK I found out what's going on.
The saturation changes only work in DVI, if you save it to the FPS profile (or a FPS gamer preset).
It doesn't work if you save it to the standard profile or a gaming profile using standard.

jamesmay

Post by jamesmay » 24 Nov 2014, 00:34

phpBB [video]

Z series seem really bad at sub 60fps..

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Nov 2014, 19:52

Found what's going on here with your locked Saturation in HDMI.

Hue and saturation are ONLY available to be changed if you are using a certain color pixel format.
On my AMD R9 290x video card ,in AMD CCC, saturation becomes unlocked in HDMI mode, if you use the "ycbcr (I forgot the exact writing but it's something like this) 4:4:4 format. This format must be selected in the AMD CCC.

If you have :RGB:limited range or "RGB:full range" selected, then Hue and satuation are greyed out.
Then you can adjust saturation.

A few things to note here.
1) HDMI PC RGB Range in the OSD is NOT available when using the ycbcr formats. But Hue and satuation are.

2) HDMI PC RGB Range IS available when using the RGB Iimited or full range settings in the CCC, but Hue/Saturation are NOT. Using values which don't match, e.g. full range RGB in the CCC with 16-235 (limited) in the OSD will cause white/black crush and oversaturation. So use limited range with 16-235 and full range rgb with 0-255.

3) For some reason, any Hue and Saturation changes made in ycbcr mode remain in effect in ALL modes in HDMI, even if you switch to RGB, and remain in effect in DVI MODE TOO, despite being greyed out, except in standard mode (standard mode in DVI ignores all hue/saturation changes you made in ycbcr HDMI mode) but FPS and RTS DVI modes will still use any Hue and Saturation changes you made previously. So try this to fix your saturation issue.

Apparently its harder to get access to these settings on an Nvidia card. There were complaints about HDMI having either crush or washed out colors on a Geforce card due to the wrong pixel format being used. I think someone wrote a tool for this...

X-Leg1on

Post by X-Leg1on » 05 Jan 2016, 12:32

This forum seems a little old but thought I would give it a try. Also I am not using blur reduction only AMA=High.
I just purchased the xl2720z and am running it over display port @ 144hz.
My issue is when I set up the standard profile it seems very under saturated or washed out. Using the suggested 20 Brightness and 43 Contrast with Gamma @ 4. I noticed I have to go into nvidia control panel and lower gamma to get a normal picture. the fps modes are just the opposite they are very vibrant/bright and are perfect for their use but standard and rgb are so washed out that they are totally unusable. hue/saturation are grayed out tweaking seems to be left up the nvidia control panel and not through monitor since it is a little locked down in that area. seems odd that a monitor cant be setup for normal use only fps use. I am an IT guy and have access to a ton of monitors some IPS most TN so I have tried 7 different monitors to date on my PC under DPort and they all look normal at 50/50 brightness contrast but this monitor is way way off and requires IIC profile which I cant use since I game a lot and the ICC profile gets overridden(btw these ICC profiles reduce gamma drastically) or go through nvidia control panel. something seems wrong here. any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.