Unacceptable Over-Saturation, Stutter & Ghosting on XL2720Z

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
oppo

Unacceptable Over-Saturation, Stutter & Ghosting on XL2720Z

Post by oppo » 03 Nov 2014, 14:55

I've hit the breaking point with this monitor, and it seems no amount of research will get me the answers I need.
So I am creating this thread. Hopefully this thread eventually helps prospective buyers or others having issues with the BenQ 27 and 24 Z series.

Firstly, the monitor was purchased for the objective of efficiency in high-performance console games. This includes a variety of genres (beyond first-person-shooters) but most are 3D polygonal, thus the need for fast motion tracking with camera movement.

So again, console, not PC. I already have a display setup for PC. The objective of the XL2720Z was to optimize efficiency in the most demanding skill-based console games. I come here to say that the display has failed it's objective thus far. It is not fit for even casual play without annoyance. At this point a so-called "laggy" HDTV is doing better motion and even perceived input lag, which I will get into later in the post.

The console space is much more limited than PC in terms of what you can configure (framerate is locked, output resolution locked, and so on) so I assumed it would be relatively simple to find the ideal display that forgoes image quality to a degree for performance.

Previously, I had the ever-so-popular TN panel, Asus VG248QE. I destroyed it due to attempting the anti-glare filter removal mod, a relatively simple mod they said. The image was far too washed out, even if performance didn't seem terrible. I did not test it on much however, but it seems the few 60 fps fast-paced games I did try on it I could perform faster than on a typical high-end HDTV.

That's where the BenQ XL2720Z came in: I would have gotten a second Asus VG248QE, but I heard about the console-compatible hardware strobing. With the only other viable console strobing, the Eizo Foris FG2421-BK, being far too expensive and now a "display lottery" not to mention higher input lag, I went with the BenQ.

Before posting here, I've done some brief off-screen observation based experiments comparing the XL2720Z to other monitors, across various games.
But before the comparisons, let's start with the first issue:
  • 1) Over-Saturation
Let's make it clear that this monitor was not purchased for professional color reproduction, just high performance. However, the colors are far too saturated and even on the VG248QE was able to tone it down to acceptable level fit for efficiency rather than cinematics/scenery.
On the XL2720Z, the Hue and most importantly Saturation options are unavailable ("grayed out") across all mixes of configurations and selections. I read in a few places the options are only presenet on analog signals like D-SUB(VGA), but it was not avaialble there, either. I have tried VGA, HDMI and DVI across multiple devices.

Playing with Brightness and Contrast does not seem to do much. Contrast on this monitor seems more like a "brightness 2" setting instead of color depth/vibrancy like it shoud be. Color Temperature settings do not change much in terms of lessening the over-vibrance, only as it says, temperature. Overall the calibration potential here and options are painfully minimalistic, even lesser than the basics. The lowest and highest thresholds for things like Sharpness and Brightness seem too limited/locked as well.

It astounds me that something so simple as saturation toggle is being locked away. Is BenQ hiding something in terms of the panel's quality?
If there really is no way available via the typical end-user OSD, there must be a way to "break into" that setting perhaps via the factory menus. Is the option available in there? Even if not, if Mark of BlurBusters was able to create an external "hack" that controls the strobe, there must be ways to control even simpler things like the saturation. This is completely unacceptable. I am not asking for much with image quality, but a basic like that should be available.
  • 2) Excessive Stutter & Ghosting
While locked saturation, as much as an annoyance it is, is not a dealbreaker in terms of efficiency as stutter/ghosting.
Let's make it clear that because we are dealing with console games here, the maximum framerate will be 60 fps, with many being 30 fps. Still, I feel this should not be happening on a so-called performance monitor.
Below are some brief experiments.

Blur Reduction was tested on default (no Utility tweak) AND with Blur Busters Utlity sliders set to two different configurations. Unless noted the effects were the same across both Blur Reduction Utility configurations.
All configurations tested at 1920x1080 resolution.
  • Game: Forza Horizon 2
    Game type: 3D/Polygonal
    Game's framerate: 30 fps (locked/constant)
    Display's refresh rate: 60hz
    Device: Xbox One game console
A racing game. While a more "cinematic graphical showcase" (casual/not high efficiency) style of gamemore ideally suited towards a high-end HDTV, I used this because I could not get over how bad the stuttering and ghosting was on the XL2720Z.
Two types of tests were conducted.
A) Third person view behind car ("chase camera"): camera/background movement
B) Map screen: scrolling text, icons, and road lines

BenQ XL2720Z Monitor (27"):
  • A) Blur Reduction OFF: As the car makes a turn, all background elements such as trees or poles turn into a complete stuttering mess. Things are only fine when driving forward. This leads me to believe the display has an issue with horizontal movement.
    Blur Reduction ON: The stuttering/ghosting effect is nearly doubled.

B) Blur Reduction OFF: All of the text on the map as it scrolls in any direction (most pronounced horizontally because of the "stretch" effect the elements are receiving due to ghosting) becomes a stuttering, unreadable, jittering mess. It is unreadable bordering on eye-straining, until stationary again. Below is a demonstration:
    bs2.gif
    bs2.gif (6.35 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
    Around what it's supposed to look like in motion:
    bs1.png
    bs1.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
    Blur Reduction ON: The stuttering/ghosting effect is nearly doubled.
Samsung LN40A750 LCD HDTV (40"):
  • This is Samsung's flagship 2008 HDTV, an LCD comparable to the enthusiast-choice plasma of the time, Pioneer KURO line. This model has 120 Hz motion interpoliation feature ("Auto Motion Plus 120hz"). While scoffed at by many, it's effects on this 30 fps game were very noticable and positive.

A) Auto Motion Plus 120hz OFF: Similar to the stuttering/ghosting on the BenQ, but not as pronounced.
    Auto Motion Plus 120hz ON: The stuttering/ghosting is nearly eliminated completely.

B) While not completely eliminated, the text stuttering on the map has been contained and controlled. Stuttering on road lines and icons are not noticable.
Panasonic P58VT25 Plasma HDTV (58"):
  • This is one of Panasonic's flagship 2010 offerings. With ex-Pioneer staff (who worked on the aforementioned KURO line) on board, this is one of the firsts of the real pseudo-spiritual successors to the KURO line. As for motion clarity, plasmas are supposed to be great. Input lag not so much. But that is not the goal of this experiment. This HDTV has also has a toggle called "Blur reduction" within the settings, but seems to have no noticable effect, so I did not include it in the results.

A) Despite plasmas having better motion clarity, the same excess stuttering/ghosting effects present on the XL2720Z (and LN40750 without interpoliation on) happens here.

B) Same results as A.
  • Game: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Game type: 3D/Polygonal
    Game's framerate: 60 fps (variable, but mostly always constant)
    Device: Xbox 360 game console
Next we'll move on to a more suitable game for high performance. While we weren't completely in line trying to get performance out of a 30 fps game, any faults in motion in this locked 60 fps console game will not be as acceptable. A 3D action "hack & slash" game similar to the Devil May Cry series.

The test consists of one element: the 3D camera rotation motion tracking.

Blur Reduction OFF: The character shows no blurring, but all non-player character elements (background/floor) are a ghosting mess when rotating at a high speed. When rotating at a low speed, the ghosting on background objects is even more pronounced and evident, with things like poles giving double image. When the character moves forward, he remains constant, but the environment is not smooth.
Blur Reduction ON: The stuttering/ghosting is similar or even worse. The screen darkening/flicker effect of the strobe are the only evident changes, both negatives with none of the positives it's supposed to provide.

Auto Motion Plus 120hz OFF: No double image or ghosting, but things don't seem perfectly smooth either.
Auto Motion Plus 120hz ON: No perceived difference, possbly added very minor stutter.
  • Xbox One dashboard
    Game type: 2D
    Game's framerate: ?? fps (probably 60)
    Device: Xbox One game console
This is not a game, but I think it's a great way to show inaccuracies in motion. Both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One have a fast "sliding/swipe" menu system with large vertical static images, and this really brings out the ghosting oddities in the XL2720Z.

Blur Reduction OFF: When sliding through icons on the menus, there is very evident ghosting/double image effect. It can even be what can be called a "catch up effect": the image seems to be having trouble keeping up with the fast "swipe" and takes a second to "catch up" and merge, or unify, back to a static image.
Blur Reduction ON: The effect is nearly doubled.

Auto Motion Plus 120hz OFF: Noticable ghosting/double image upon menu sliding, but minimal.
Auto Motion Plus 120hz ON: The ghosting is nearly completely eliminated, very smooth menu transitions. Any perceived stutter would likely be at fault of the hardware, not display.

Summary: It is quite surreal when a previously thought "laggy" HDTV outperforms a performance monitor on the console front, in terms of motion. Even if it does, the input lag, while not tested here, may be worse much worse on the HDTV. Sacrifices must be made for situational purpose: It is nearly 2015 and there is not anywhere on the market something with the benefits of OLED/IPS image combined with fast response of TN. I was willing to make a comprimise for performance, but it seems the BenQ cannot excel with neither image nor motion in terms of consoles.
This really should not be a unicorn to chase though: developers of the fast-paced games are using something over in their offices to test, console exclusive games at that, and it shouldn't be a mystery on how to at least see these console games 1:1 of what they're pushing out.
While barebones and no strobe support for consoles, the Asus VG248QE may be the "no frills" basic for motion/input lag without any side-effects we're seeing on the BenQ; side-effects that beckon the question, "is this monitor really only for PC gameplay?" Then from there I ask, unless you're competitive gaming, why would you even use a cheap TN if you're playing with a beefed up PC that can output 4K visuals at very high framerate? Perhaps a discussion not fit for this thread, but just another mystery of these TN PC panels.

I would have preferred to do a comparison to other console-compatible performance monitors such as the aforementioned Asus or Foris, but I used what I have in inventory at the moment. I would have also preferred to do tests on a few 2D games as well, but I suppose the results would be similar to the Xbox One dashboard menu results.

I hope I, and others, can get some answers to the saturation mystery and how to make the BenQ be competent with consoles in terms of motion clarity. If there is no answer and the conclusions have already been made, I can conclude the BenQ is only viable with PC setups. Does the search for the best high performance console display continue, or is it right before us in the BenQ, with tweaks needed?
Last edited by oppo on 05 Nov 2014, 09:43, edited 4 times in total.

Falkentyne

Re: Unacceptable Over-Saturation, Stutter & Ghosting on XL27

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Nov 2014, 18:07

You're using 60 hz strobing; did you turn on SINGLE STROBE in the monitor options?
You can do that from the utility through windows; just enabling the checkmark will automatically turn on single strobe.
However, in the service menu, you can adjust the strobe phase and persistence while keeping single strobe on or off.
(the windows utility automatically enables single strobe as soon as you make any adjustments, although this is unlinked in the service menu).

This setting ONLY affects 60 hz; 100hz and higher are always single strobed.

Do the following:
Power on the monitor by holding down button #4 (from the top; the menu button) while pressing power. When the LED's flash, release button 4.

Then press button 4 to enter the service menu, then enable single strobe.
The problem you are describing is what it LOOKS Like when single strobe is disabled.
It looks like you have it set to do double strobe. That's what the Eizo Foris does by default at the lower refresh rates and there's no option to set it to single strobe (because single strobing at 60 hz creates CRT like flicker).

That should fix things.

About the saturation:
I'm not getting this problem. What preset are you using?
Only use the STANDARD preset if you want full contrast ratios and normal reproduced colors. You can adjust the gamma setting to your preference (gamma 4 or 5 may look better color depth wise, although gamma 3 gives you the 2.2 gamma setting).

If you are using the FPS 1 setting, then yes you are going to have a lot of saturation. Even trying to adjust the FPS1 setting to match standard (decent standard settings are brightness 20, contrast 50, RGB channels 100 100 92, gamma 3, with gamma 5 coming close to FPS1), and setting FPS1 to black equalizer level 12 (the closest to standard) will still have the colors slightly different. Apparently the FPS 1 and FPS2 have a slightly different factory default setting than standard (TFTcentral's 2420T review mention something like this).

If you saved a FPS or RTS setting to a gamer profile, use standard and save the standard to a profile (saving to a profile won't let you use low blue light, but the other normal standard settings will be available to change).

I have a VG248QE right next to the 2720Z and I can definitely tell you that the VG248 looks more saturated than the 2720Z.

oppo

Post by oppo » 04 Nov 2014, 09:01

Before I continue I'd just like to clarify that yes, I am running the latest firmware on the monitor (V3). I thought it was V2 judging from the April 2014 production date in the version ID, but apparently the V003 would mean it's V3.
Falkentyne wrote:You're using 60 hz strobing; did you turn on SINGLE STROBE in the monitor options?
You can do that from the utility through windows; just enabling the checkmark will automatically turn on single strobe.
However, in the service menu, you can adjust the strobe phase and persistence while keeping single strobe on or off.
(the windows utility automatically enables single strobe as soon as you make any adjustments, although this is unlinked in the service menu).

This setting ONLY affects 60 hz; 100hz and higher are always single strobed.
Yes, I have had it on Single Strobe mode the whole time when testing Blur Reduction ON. Not only that, various different toggles of the Strobe Duty and Strobe Phase were tested. ALL variations are giving glaring double image effect on all background elements upon camera movement...on a locked/constant 60 fps game!

This was done via the Windows Blur Busters Utility application. Just to double check I also just enabled and disabled Single Strobe via the Service Menu. Same effect. Default "double strobe" has little to no difference from the normal non-Blur Reduction mode.
It looks like you have it set to do double strobe. That's what the Eizo Foris does by default at the lower refresh rates and there's no option to set it to single strobe (because single strobing at 60 hz creates CRT like flicker).

That should fix things.
Once again, no, I had it set to Single. And of course the results are the same. Terrible ghosting and stuttering. This is unacceptable and if this is not able to be resolved I'm going to have to retire using this monitor. For console gaming it's currently as useful as a cheap mid-2000s off-brand budget TN.
About the saturation:
I'm not getting this problem. What preset are you using?
Only use the STANDARD preset if you want full contrast ratios and normal reproduced colors. You can adjust the gamma setting to your preference (gamma 4 or 5 may look better color depth wise, although gamma 3 gives you the 2.2 gamma setting).
I'm using variations of all the different presets. Mainly I use a tweaked Gamer1 profile, brightened and sharpened to maximize darkness viewability and clarity with 3D polygons or 2D static elements. Again this is limited as the calibration potential is very low on this display. Colors I'm going to have to go against the generic "cinematic warm" temperatures given by so-called AV professional calibrations time and time again; efficiency is the key here. This is a cheaper TN LCD, not a high-end plasma HDTV, and I feel a slightly blue temperature overshadowing the red gives the clearest image in the style of games I'm looking at for fast-paced play.
If you are using the FPS 1 setting, then yes you are going to have a lot of saturation. Even trying to adjust the FPS1 setting to match standard (decent standard settings are brightness 20, contrast 50, RGB channels 100 100 92, gamma 3, with gamma 5 coming close to FPS1), and setting FPS1 to black equalizer level 12 (the closest to standard) will still have the colors slightly different. Apparently the FPS 1 and FPS2 have a slightly different factory default setting than standard (TFTcentral's 2420T review mention something like this).
I don't use FPS1 setting. My issue is that I'm getting a lot of saturation even with my calibrations of Standard or Gamer1. Let's use the default Xbox One dashboard tiles as an example: on the BenQ, because I'm unable to actually toggle Saturation/color intensity, it's a bright, intrusive "slime green" color. On a proper calibrated display it's a more muted, "forest green".
Or say an element of a game I noticed, a gold HUD element. On the BenQ it's an over-vibrant "laser yellow" while on a properly calibrated more high-end display it's a majestic brown-tinted gold.
Nothing I can tweak currently on the available BenQ settings can make these colors more natural.
I also just tried your suggested Standard settings. Incredibly too dark, with over-brown hue due to the red temp. Cannot perform efficiently in any way with that darkness. Switching back to my Gamer1 settings was like night and day. Once again you may want to forgo the "traditional" standards of things like Gamma 2.2 for this monitor, because the fact of the matter is the quality of the display cannot compete with professional or high-end displays that actually can represent those statistics tangibly.

Beyond over-saturation, the low threshold of the "maximum" Brightness setting is upsetting as well - and Black eQualizer doesn't seem to do much on on certain games with dark areas. A 60 fps racing game where you go extremely high-speeds (one of the fastest I've played, a lower-end LED HDTV could not keep up with the refresh of the colors and motion...thus stuttered) has a continuous issue where the tunnels are too dark. There is no in-game gamma/brightness setting, so it's up to the display to compensate. The BenQ is unable to create clarity in the dark, fast-paced tunnels, leading to crashing and instability.

I will say that the over-saturation is much more apparent in static menus/dashboard, not as much in-game with 3D graphics. Once again the motion is the highest priority issue here, if I can get motion clarity but not able to toggle saturation it won't be detrimental; the monitor was purchased for efficiency, not scenery.

I have a VG248QE right next to the 2720Z and I can definitely tell you that the VG248 looks more saturated than the 2720Z.
Perhaps under the stock or settings you calibrated. I was able to make the VG248QE viewable with most darkness conditions (again the TN combined with washed out effect of the anti-glare filter prevent that from being perfect), desaturated just a bit from standard to nullify the "lowest common denominator consumer" saturation jack-up done by developers and UI elements and to also increase viewability/decrease eye strain (because of the over-vibrancy), and sharpened. I cannot replicate anything similar to this on the BenQ. Overly dark even with brightest Brightness setting and near maximum Contrast, and overly saturated with no option of even toggling that.

I'm starting to think that my issues may be multiplied because I chose the 27" Z series over the 24". I was told the differences are not noticable especially for 60 fps console games, but perhaps the things I'm seeing wouldn't exist on the 24.
I'd like to do comparisons but I am stuck with this expensive display now and cannot be returned.
Maybe for other users here with consoles available, we can agree on a "test game" and compare our results in this thread. Just to verify this monitor is not faulty and I'm not the only one seeing this terrible motion.

I am sad to report the same exact issues persist from my original post. I hope this forum can help to address these issues, or the BenQ is not fit for console efficient play - a more simple yet functional fast display like Asus VG248QE (with anti-glare filter removed) may be the optimal choice. And I even hear for most non-FPS games that there's capable IPS with neglible difference in motion/input, with none of the disadvantages of a cheap, "fast" TN. However, I want to like the BenQ and I want it to work.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Nov 2014, 09:38

Sorry you're having that issue.
I really don't know, then. I'm also using a 2720Z.

I forgot to ask:
Do you get these oversaturated colors ON THE WINDOWS DESKTOP? or ONLY on console?

That 'laser yellow" and "bright slime green" is EXACTLY how my uncalibrated VG248QE looks like. And believe me it sticks out like a sore thumb.
When I use lightboost mode on it, the colors tone down considerably, but get even more muted than the Benq (benq's BBR doesn't change the colors) and the contrast takes a SHARP nose dive.

The way you described laser yellows and slime greens is how my 2720Z looks like in FPS1 mode, with gamma 5 (pretty sure it's using gamma 5 even though this isn't changeable here) and black equalizer at 0. With Black equalizer at 12 in FPS 1 (apparently that's the default for standard mode, which isn't changeable there), and then comparing it to standard mode with gamma 5, the changed standard settings look almost the same as the FPS1 settings, just the FPS1 has a very slightly different color tone, despite both being at RGB 100 100 92.

I don't have a console to test, but I don't think using the HDMI connection to my card will change anything.

I forgot to ask the question:
Do you get this oversaturated colors ON THE WINDOWS DESKTOP?
*EDIT #2*:

Just hooked up the 2720Z to the R9 290X hdmi connection on the video card.
Hue and Saturation are unlocked.

Setting saturation to 100 gives me the bright green slime and laser yellow look, and also the edit button on this forum looks a bright ugly pink, instead of a muted off red.

oppo

Post by oppo » 04 Nov 2014, 15:48

Falkentyne wrote:Sorry you're having that issue.
I really don't know, then. I'm also using a 2720Z.
This is probably because you're not using consoles.
I have an ongoing theory that for console gaming, the maximum potential motion clarity can be met even on "good enough" modern IPS/VA panels for instance...and the BenQ is really almost exclusively made for PC gaming/framerates above 60 (120 usually). Sure the panel works on 60hz/60 fps, but it seems to not work well.
I forgot to ask:
Do you get these oversaturated colors ON THE WINDOWS DESKTOP? or ONLY on console?

That 'laser yellow" and "bright slime green" is EXACTLY how my uncalibrated VG248QE looks like. And believe me it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Yes, through HDMI the colors did seem a bit over-vibrant on the Windows desktop.

I don't have a console to test, but I don't think using the HDMI connection to my card will change anything.
I hope some members reading this (or if you're not a member, please sign up and post) who use consoles with the 24 or 27 Z can post their experience.
You really have none of the past or current generation HD consoles to test? (PS3, 360, Wii U, PS4 or X One). Just fearing nobody else will chime in, that's all.
I forgot to ask the question:
Just hooked up the 2720Z to the R9 290X hdmi connection on the video card.
Hue and Saturation are unlocked.

Setting saturation to 100 gives me the bright green slime and laser yellow look, and also the edit button on this forum looks a bright ugly pink, instead of a muted off red.
I just tried hooking up HDMI (previously been using DVI) to PC video card, and no, Saturation and Hue are still locked.
The "100" setting is what very may well be what I'm seeing by default on consoles. Of course I cannot verify because the setting is locked.

However, again, the first priority is this terrible double image/ghosting even on 60 fps console games, Blur Reduction on or off, single/double, same thing. I am going to have to retire this monitor for console games until I can find a remedy, it's actually starting to cause eye strain, at least perceived. Strangely I am fine with the single strobe 60hz flicker (if it actually did anything other than make the ghosting worse), but the general performance of the monitor in this current state makes me dizzy.
Last edited by oppo on 04 Nov 2014, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

oppo

Post by oppo » 04 Nov 2014, 15:56

Inviting any users reading who use the BenQ Z series monitors on HD consoles (PS3, PS4, 360, ONE, WiiU) to post their experience, if you're getting similar issues in your games upon closer inspection.

I'd like to establish some "test games" we can all use to compare, to show what I'm talking about, even if it's something like the Xbox One dashboard example in the first post.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Nov 2014, 17:58

So you are NOT getting oversaturated colors in DVI mode, right?

Do the following:
Set it to DVI, then go to system, then go to RESET ALL.

After that, go to picture menu and go to RESET COLOR.

Then do the following:
go to standard, set the contrast to 50 (it defaults to 71, which causes massive clipping), colors to user 100,100,92, save it as profile 1.
then go to FPS1, set the contrast to 50, black equalizer to 12, save it as profile 2.

Switch to either profile 1 or 2.
Unplug and plug it in to HDMI.
(you could do the above steps in DVI then hdmi but well, I'm not using hdmi, I only did it once as a test to verify that hue and saturation do get unlocked on mine).

Are hue and saturation unlocked?
There's no reason why they should NOT be unlocked.
If NO, then RMA the monitor; there's a problem.
(I am using V2 firmware but someone else with V3 should test the saturation unlock...)

oppo

Post by oppo » 05 Nov 2014, 09:19

I just replicated your steps from start to finish twice, and I am sad to report that Hue and Saturation are still locked.
The steps were taken with PC video card, that's what you did, right? I did not unplug, I simply did the steps under DVI then switched input to HDMI. Same locked options as if was plugged into a console. Both DVI and HDMI.
Also a note: those Standard options (besides Color Temperture) were already like that by default upon reset. Only FPS1 had the 71 default.

It was no mystery that the options are still unlocked, as earlier I replied that the options were locked in HDMI plugged to PC video card, while you and another user were able to get it to show up.

I know what you're getting at, though: Find a configuration that allows the options to show up, tweak them, then save the profile...and use the profile with the tweaks under other devices like consoles. However of course, I cannot get the options to show under any current tested circumstance.
Last edited by oppo on 05 Nov 2014, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

oppo

Post by oppo » 05 Nov 2014, 09:32

On the motion front:
I have tested a bunch more games on consoles. 2D and 3D. Mostly 60 fps games. I duplicate my previous sentiments: the ghosting upon camera movement/background elements, and HUD elements, are unacceptable.
I will probably attempt to capture what I'm seeing with 3 photos each: BBR Off, BBR On, and stationary.
I have attempted a mix of not only BBR on and off but AMA high/premium and Instant Mode on/off. AMA only seemed to make the trailing/ghosting intensify.

Here is a person that is getting a similar issue:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=9 ... &t=1834141
Here you can see he demonstrates it in motion:
GIF:: http://giant.gfycat.com/FaroffDeliriousGalago.gif
WEBM:: http://zippy.gfycat.com/FaroffDeliriousGalago.webm

The demonstration is of the game Destiny. Since that game is not on PC, it is a console demonstration.
Even though he didn't explicitly state which console it was running on (it's PS4 due to it's mention and the button icon on the UI), both Xbox One and PS4 versions run at 30 fps. Still, it's a decent first example in motion of what I'm seeing in even most 60 fps games.
The UI example here is similar to what I was seeing in Forza Horizon 2 map test, but in that it was much, much more pronounced and worse.

Unfortunately, because PC gaming was brought up, the conversation ends with no resolution on the console spectrum. It leads to questioning if it's how this monitor processes 60 hz and there is nothing that can be done...or if it's really the fault of lower framerate console games.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 Nov 2014, 10:44

Can anyone with V3 firmware please try HDMI and see if Hue and Saturation are unlocked or locked?
If others with V3 are able to unlock Saturation in HDMI, then oppo needs to RMA his monitor as it's defective, as it seems his defaults to 100 and is also disabled.
If no one on V3 can unlock hue/saturation but all V2s can then V3 is bugged and people probably shouldn't update to it (Chief can contact Benq)