Benq 2720Z no difference in blur reduction?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
juice99

Benq 2720Z no difference in blur reduction?

Post by juice99 » 30 Dec 2014, 20:20

I bought Benq 2720Z, i conntected it via DVI cable that came in a box. I updated drivers with attached CD so my monitor is seen as Benq 2720Z, i changed refresh rate to 144 (tested also 120), i installed Strobe Utility, i turned on Blur reduction via Benq menu (and screen became so dark it's uncofortable for me to use it even at max 'persistance' setting).

But the real problem is - i cannot see any improvement in blur reduction! 2 other persons that i showed it to, also claim there is completely no difference, we all can see it on ufo tests, 60fps and 120fps are identical, i really mean it, 30fps is totally different, and 60fps and 120fps ufos are exactly the same.

Everything in desktop is as blurred as it was when i for example move a window with some content, it's unreadable durning movement. I even checked which firmware version i have - V3 (turned on service mode in Benq).

what is wrong? is the difference really SO small (as like unnoticeable) and that's normal?

gamerscore

Re: Benq 2720Z no difference in blur reduction?

Post by gamerscore » 30 Dec 2014, 22:06

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... 0&height=0

You should be able to read the street names with Benq Blur Reduction mode on.
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz
Gigabyte Gefore GTX 980 G1 Gaming
Benq XL2411Z

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Dec 2014, 23:40

juice99 wrote:I bought Benq 2720Z, i conntected it via DVI cable that came in a box. I updated drivers with attached CD so my monitor is seen as Benq 2720Z, i changed refresh rate to 144 (tested also 120), i installed Strobe Utility, i turned on Blur reduction via Benq menu (and screen became so dark it's uncofortable for me to use it even at max 'persistance' setting).

But the real problem is - i cannot see any improvement in blur reduction! 2 other persons that i showed it to, also claim there is completely no difference, we all can see it on ufo tests, 60fps and 120fps are identical, i really mean it, 30fps is totally different, and 60fps and 120fps ufos are exactly the same.

Everything in desktop is as blurred as it was when i for example move a window with some content, it's unreadable durning movement. I even checked which firmware version i have - V3 (turned on service mode in Benq).

what is wrong? is the difference really SO small (as like unnoticeable) and that's normal?
1) is your monitor brightness set to 100 in the OSD? If not, set it to 100.
2) set OSD to 'standard' preset, after you set brightness to 100, set contrast to 43 or 50.

When you adjust the persistence setting in the blur busters windows utility, does the brightness change at all?
What happens when you go from maximum to minimum?
144 hz at maximum persistence with blur reduction ON should be ALMOST as bright as blur reduction OFF.

First, go into the service menu and make sure single strobe is enabled.
It should be enabled. There is a 'bug' where if single strobe is disabled, and you enable BBR through the OSD, it uses default strobe values until the brightness, strobe phase or strobe duty is changed, at which it instantly will switch to the custom settings (this does not happen if single strobe is enabled). The windows utility SHOULD enable single strobe automatically if any slider is moved.

Finally, if you ARE getting brightness differences from adjusting the persistence slider, but everything is still blurred....do you by any chance have "AMA" turned off? (the default is "high", so I don't know why it would be off)

etegv

Post by etegv » 31 Dec 2014, 00:08

gamerscore wrote:http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... 0&height=0

I have the same problem as the op. I clicked your link and I could make out 2 streets with the blue letters with BR on. The rest was hard to see

is it supposed to be like that? Is there a way to make it clearer?

I didnt do the VT trick yet. I have xl2411z v2 /r9 290/ windows 8.1 64-bit

I wish this worked out the box. Thanks, this is very helpful thread

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Dec 2014, 05:49

etegv wrote:

I have the same problem as the op. I clicked your link and I could make out 2 streets with the blue letters with BR on. The rest was hard to see

is it supposed to be like that? Is there a way to make it clearer?

I didnt do the VT trick yet. I have xl2411z v2 /r9 290/ windows 8.1 64-bit

I wish this worked out the box. Thanks, this is very helpful thread
What refresh rate and frame rate does that testufo website say it's running at?
Are you sure the test isn't reporting HALF of the FPS?
Please try that test at *100hz* only.

If you are running at 144 hz on internet explorer, that website and that scrolling test will say 72 hz and 72 FPS (half of 144). HTML5 doesn't seem to run VSYNC'D properly at over 100 hz in some browsers.

@Juice:
please run TESTUFO at 100hz ONLY, not 120 hz or 144 hz. Only certain browsers will run that test at the windows refresh rate vsync'd at higher than 100hz, and internet explorer is NOT one of them.
Even firefox has had problems with this.

juice99

Post by juice99 » 31 Dec 2014, 06:21

I don't see street names, it's all very blurred, speed 960p. I was able to read 'union station' after like 1 minute of looking at the screen. I turned on 'blur reduction' in the menu before. (and turned it off afterwards, as it's a little too dark for my tastes for normal usage)
Falkentyne wrote: 1) is your monitor brightness set to 100 in the OSD? If not, set it to 100.
2) set OSD to 'standard' preset, after you set brightness to 100, set contrast to 43 or 50.
1) yes it is.
2) 'PictureMode' in OSD is set to Standard. no difference in blur reduction
Falkentyne wrote: When you adjust the persistence setting in the blur busters windows utility, does the brightness change at all?
What happens when you go from maximum to minimum?
144 hz at maximum persistence with blur reduction ON should be ALMOST as bright as blur reduction OFF.
Yes, it changes, it gets brighter and brighter when i increase persistance but it's still quite a difference between blur reduction off even at max. persistance (5.0ms)

as to AMA, i have no idea where is it, i didn't turn it on, but i cannot find it in the menu, where is it exactly?

attaching service menu screenshot, i would have attached movie to show you the difference, but i don't have high quality camera to record so many frames (if that's the only thing that is needed of course)

I have Windows 7 64bit, Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X, catalyst version 14.9 if that matters...
Attachments
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (150.29 KiB) Viewed 10238 times

juice99

Post by juice99 » 31 Dec 2014, 06:34

ok the problem was with the browser (Firefox 34.0.5 newest version), I tested it on Chrome and it worked as described! I was able to read street names even WITHOUT blur reduction on, seems like Firefox flash or whatever it is, is locked at 60Mhz.

but i also ran some random applications with text content like Total Commander with all listed directories on my hard drive and i moved it quite quickly (but not too quickly) across the screen trying to read the contents... It was not possible, it was blurred... I read that when i switch from 60Mhz to 144Mhz it will be visible immediately for example at the desktop.

Is it going to be a problem with every application separately?

and another question is brightness, is there any way to increase brightness in blur reduction mode even futher? it's max Persistance and Max OSD brightness... i could download some third party utility and increase Gamma, but... well, i'm not sure if this is recommended. probably not.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Dec 2014, 08:23

Whoa whoa whoa.
You don't want the persistence at 5.0ms(!)
The higher the persistence, the LESS the blur reduction! Also, raising the persistence (strobe duty=persistence; aka "intensity on the XL2430T) also has a side effect of lowering the position of the TOP strobe crosstalk settling error. The lower the persistence, the higher up this error is (at strobe duty 001, this settling error is completely off the top of the screen, although the screen will be too dark; with a strobe duty of 001, you should be able to read the "street map" moving photo test even at 3840 pix/sec.

Ideally you want the persistence at 1.0ms or lower (006 strobe duty if using a VT 1350 or 1500 tweak) for best results. You can go 0.5ms persistence in a dark room.

juice99

Post by juice99 » 31 Dec 2014, 09:14

but at persistence 5.0 which you don't even recommend it's still a little bit too dark for me (although not much more needed)

at persistence 1.0 i cannot see anything. so what can i do?

i hate using PC in dark room, my personal preference is that i like it when it's quite bright - but not that much to distort colors of course. On standard default settings without blur effect it's perfect for me.

do i really need to use blur reduction at all to see difference between 60Mhz?

is it a problem with Benq only? i have 30 days to give it back, and i might wait for monitors compatible with AMD FreeSync... just not sure if this will help. what do you recommend? other than getting used to dark screen :) gamma correction might distort colors.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Dec 2014, 09:23

juice99 wrote:but at persistence 5.0 which you don't even recommend it's still a little bit too dark for me (although not much more needed)

at persistence 1.0 i cannot see anything. so what can i do?

i hate using PC in dark room, my personal preference is that i like it when it's quite bright - but not that much to distort colors of course. On standard default settings without blur effect it's perfect for me.

do i really need to use blur reduction at all to see difference between 60Mhz?

is it a problem with Benq only? i have 30 days to give it back, and i might wait for monitors compatible with AMD FreeSync... just not sure if this will help. what do you recommend? other than getting used to dark screen :) gamma correction might distort colors.
** ARE YOU AT 100 BRIGHTNESS ON THE OSD**?

Persistence 5.0 WITH a vertical total tweak, or without?

if you are NOT using a VT tweak, then you can't have 5.0ms persistence unless you are at 60hz refresh rate.
The persistence values WITHOUT VT tweaks per refresh rate are given here:
http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/BenQ_XL2411Z

Using any VT tweak (1350/1500/1502) forces the backlight to use the 60hz pulse widths (thus the 60hz persistence settings).

you also should never have a dim screen at strobe duty 030 (max persistence setting) unless you are at 144 hz refresh rate, and even then that's about a persistence of 2.1ms which should still be decently bright unless you're in broad daylight.

** ARE YOU AT 100 osd brightness **?
(also use standard mode, or maybe FPS mode under some situations), color settings 100/98/96.

If not, set the brightness to MAXIMUM (100).
That's the ONLY possible reason your screen would be dim....if you were using something like 20 brightness....