Benq 2720Z no difference in blur reduction?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
juice99

Re: Benq 2720Z no difference in blur reduction?

Post by juice99 » 31 Dec 2014, 09:32

Falkentyne wrote: ** ARE YOU AT 100 BRIGHTNESS ON THE OSD**?
As i already wrote in my first response to you, yes i am at 100% brightness in OSD.
Falkentyne wrote: Persistence 5.0 WITH a vertical total tweak, or without?
without i guess, i don't know what is it.
Falkentyne wrote: if you are NOT using a VT tweak, then you can't have 5.0ms persistence unless you are at 60hz refresh rate.
The persistence values WITHOUT VT tweaks per refresh rate are given here:
http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/BenQ_XL2411Z
strobe utility allows me to set persistence to 5.0 when i'm at 120 or 144Mhz. i see it is working because when i increase persistence, screen becomes brighter (if blur reduction is on in OSD of course)
Falkentyne wrote: Using any VT tweak (1350/1500/1502) forces the backlight to use the 60hz pulse widths (thus the 60hz persistence settings).
should i use this VT tweak?
Falkentyne wrote: you also should never have a dim screen at strobe duty 030 (max persistence setting) unless you are at 144 hz refresh rate, and even then that's about a persistence of 2.1ms which should still be decently bright unless you're in broad daylight.

** ARE YOU AT 100 osd brightness **?
(also use standard mode, or maybe FPS mode under some situations), color settings 100/98/96.

If not, set the brightness to MAXIMUM (100).
That's the ONLY possible reason your screen would be dim....if you were using something like 20 brightness....
well.. like i said, i'm at 100. and in standard mode. what should i do then?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Dec 2014, 09:43

I'm not sure. because this monitor is blindingly bright if you are using a VT tweak AND 120hz refresh rate..in fact if you set it to MAX persistence (5.0ms)/030 strobe duty, at 120hz refresh rate, the screen should actually become BRIGHTER if you enable blur reduction over having it disabled (ONLY if you are using a VT tweak at 120hz, but that's because 120hz is only rated for 2.5ms maximum (as you saw from the link I gave you) but VT tweaks force 60hz pulse widths, which go to 5 ms. can you test that ?

Use a VT tweak for 120hz (u will need the pixel clock patcher if the pixel bandwidth exceeds 330 MHz!) then go to max persistence and see if enabling blur reduction makes the screen BRIGHTER.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Dec 2014, 11:25

I was in a game so I couldn't give the exact details I wanted
but try the following for a test.

1) download CRU (custom resolution utility) as well as the "experimental" driver restarter restart.zip, all on the monitortests forum.
Also download the AMD or Nvidia pixel clock patcher.

2) create a custom 120hz resolution with CRU. If you want to use a vertical total of 1500, you will need reduced timings to avoid possible dvi corruption from having a 396 MHz pixel clock:
1920x1080
120hz
Front porch 48,3 (the default is 88,4)
Sync width 32, 5 (the default is 44,5)
Horizontal total 2080 (default is 2200
Vertical total 1500 (absolute max is 1502; 1503 will give an out of range)
Pixel clock will be 374 mhz.
MUST be patched with the pixel clock patcher or these timings will either be 1) ignored by the driver completely and the defaults used, 2) 120hz may "disappear" from the video driver completely.

Run the driver restarter (PLEASE use the pixel clock patcher FIRST).
(you can always restore the patcher later btw)

If you do this correctly, and set 120hz, the OSD should report 1920x1080@60hz <-this means your Vt tweak is working; monitor has switched to 60hz backlight pulse widths.

Now enable single strobe.
Changing anything with the windows blur reduction utilty should enable single strobe if it somehow got disabled Otherwise there's the service menu.

Set strobe phase to 000 and strobe duty to 030 (5.0ms persistence)
(warning: exceeding 049 strobe phase with a 120hz VT will set a "0ms" persistence and turn off the backlight (various other posts you can find here explain exactly why this happens, but masterotaku was the first to find this out); for 100 hz with a 1500 VT, do not exceed 059 strobe phase or the backlight will shut off when blur reduction is enabled). If NO VT tweak is used, strobe phase can go up to the max of 100 (the windows BBR utility maxes out at 047, by the way).

Ok, back to topic:
First turn off blur reduction. Monitor brightness at 100--should be ...ahem..very bright.
Now enable blur reduction.
the screen should get -brighter- slightly (this is abnormal behavior; it's because you are using 5.0ms persistence backlight pulses at a refresh rate designed for 2.5ms maximum; but if this happens, it means everything is working properly, which is good).

But seriously, the brightness should be --too-- bright to comfortably use...it should hurt your eyes.

If its somehow still too dim --BUT...it DID get brighter anyway if you ENABLED blur reduction vs having it disabled, with this tests I did, then 1 of 2 things are happening:

1) the monitor is defective--RMA it.
2) your video card driver panels brightness controls are overriding the defaults and making everything dark.

That's basically it. I covered everything.

juice99

Post by juice99 » 01 Jan 2015, 10:43

thank you for your explanation, i just tried applying VT tweak, but it's still a little darker than normal, but i didn't try your instructions yet (doing it now)
Last edited by juice99 on 01 Jan 2015, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jan 2015, 11:12

Check the other thread in my previous posts.
I wrote exactly how to apply a VT 1500 tweak and exactly what timings to use. You really need to spend more time searching and reading, because typing this is VERY time consuming.

But since I'm in a good mood I'll tell you exactly what to do. but please in the future, read these forums more carefully as all of this stuff has been explained step by step to the finest detail.

1) download custom resolution utility and the driver restarter here:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... tility-CRU
From the same page, download either the AMD or Nvidia pixel clock patcher
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... ck-Patcher
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... ck-Patcher

2) run CRU and make a VT tweak for 100 hz if you want (keep in mind that you can NOT use virtual super resolution (AMD) or Nvidia's DSR with custom resolutions, so if you do use these, you may want to make separate cru profiles (you can 'export' your current CRU settings into a bin file and save it, and "import" it later). e.g. if you try AMD's VSR with a 100hz VT tweak active, when you go to 2560x1440, it will only be at 60hz instead of 100hz.
Anyway:
for 100hz and a VT 1500 tweak, all you have to do is click "Add" (manual-detailed resolution) and 1920x1080,
Front porch and sync width should be default of 88/4 (front porch, for pixels and lines) and 44/5 for sync width (pixels and lines).
Back porch and blanking will fill in automatically.
Horizontal total should be 2200 (default), Vertical total will say 1125. Change this to 1500.
This should give you EXACTLY 330.00 MHz pixel clock (this should work without the pixel clock pater). If you used VT 1502, which is the MAX possible value before you go "out of range", that's 300.44 MHz and requires the patcher since you're above 330.00.

For 120hz, REQUIRES THE PIXEL CLOCK PATCHER, and you should probably use lower timings (similar to the ones "strobelight" installs), because using the same timings, would put you at 396 MHz pixel clock, and you might have swimming pixels depending on your DVI cable and video card. I do NOT know about displayport or its limits! YMMV on displayport.
120hz:
1920x1080
48/3 front porch (lower than default)
32/5 sync width (lower than default)
2080 horizontal total (down from 2200)
1500 VT
Should put you at 374 mhz. This will REQUIRE the patcher.

If you absolutely do NOT want to use the pixel clock patcher, then you would have to use 2020 or 2040 horizontal total and you would be limited to 1350 Vertical total (whatever keeps you under 330 MHz), but when using VT tweaks, the OSD's scaling options (under display mode) get messed up anyway, so you might as well just use a VT 1500 to improve the quality of the blur reduction (by having the crosstalk settling errors at the top and bottom of the screen as far away as possible).

you can save and export your settings to a file.

After you make your changes and press OK to exit CRU, BEFORE restarting the driver, make sure you run the pixel clock patcher *FIRST*. The values must be patched BEFORE you restart the driver. Only then will your VT Tweak take effect.

Also make sure strobe phase is set to 000. High strobe phase values when using VT tweaks may blank the backlight if blur reduction is enabled.

Enable single strobe if you know FOR A FACT that you will never ever have the screen set to 50hz by an errant game (Hi, Crysis, I'm looking you) or by accident--there's a bug with single strobe and 50hz where the monitor won't enter strobe mode at all. Double strobe works fine. if you have single strobe DISABLED, 100, 120 and 144 hz will ALWAYS single strobe anyway, HOWEVER, toggling off and on blur reduction will cause 'default' strobe values to be used, until strobe phase, duty or brightness is changed. (this annoying problem (bug) can be avoided by enabling single strobe, which ALWAYS applies custom values instantly, or by activating a profile on the S-switch or "picture mode' (activing a profile resets the brightness, and as I said, changing brightness avoid this "bug"

VT 1500 tweak should never give you a problem at 100 and 120hz. Vt 1350 works also, (but you will have more crosstalk between the top and bottom of the screen).

That's all.

juice99

Post by juice99 » 01 Jan 2015, 11:35

thank you, it worked! Now it's even brighter with blur reduction on than it was without. I gladly lowered persistence to make it not too bright but at the same time reduce blur as much as possible. 3.75 seems fine for me, could even lower it a little more, but i will need to test it.

sorry i know it was all explained already, the problem is that it's hard to find. google doesn't show it if you search 'vt tweak' or anything similar, and these forums are full of comments about VT and it is hard to find original post that probably explained it all. I know it was possible to find it, i just was not able to do it somehow.

thank you! now i will test it also in games, not only in desktop ;)

btw, happy new year!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 01 Jan 2015, 13:40

juice99 wrote:3.75 seems fine for me, could even lower it a little more, but i will need to test it.
That's still too high. At high Hz with VT tweak, that persistence is forcing too much brightness (and voltage, I guess). By default, the max persistence at 120Hz is 2.5ms. I don't know if that can badly hurt your monitor in the long run, but I'd prefer to be on the safe side.
juice99 wrote:btw, happy new year!
HNY yo you too!
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jan 2015, 14:01

3.75ms persistence...that's like 100 brightness with blur reduction off...how can you use a screen that bright?
Also with persistence that high (strobe duty is probably around 20+), your top of the screen will have too many crosstalk strobe pulse errors for sure, because the top gets more strobe settling errors (moving down from the very top, assuming strobe phase 000), as you increase persistence------- (this is what the 2430T actually avoids, by inverting the pulse and duty values, and making a high persistence with VT tweaks able to keep the top looking decent).

You really should try persistence between 0.5 ms to 1 ms, and go no higher than 1.4ms (lightboost 10% @ 120hz). With brightness at 100 and contrast at 50, your screen should be very eye pleasing with lots of blur reduction without burning out your eyes. 1.0ms for daylight, 0.5ms for a black room at night. Try it?

juice99

Post by juice99 » 01 Jan 2015, 16:03

I lowered it to 2.50. It was unconfortable at the beginning, but i guess i got used to that. going any futher down makes the screen less comfortable to watch.

I read that having too dim display is bad for your eyes (same as having it too bright by the way...). I think 2.50 is ok

P.S. any idea hos to force Firefox to operate on 120Mhz? Only Google Chrome works for me. I have of course newest Firefox and on ufotest i don't see any difference, but i see huge difference under Google Chrome
P.S.2 ok i found the solution, latest version of Firefox that works fine is 32.0.1, newer versions are broken, including 35.0 beta 8. no idea why, but i'm sticking with 32.0.1 then. (downloaded from oldapps)

juice99

Post by juice99 » 02 Jan 2015, 05:56

I still have ghosting at the top of my screen though when i run ufotest, only upper part is 'ghosting'. When i try to fix it with Crosstalk, i can only make ghosting to appear at the bottom and dissapear at the top, bot not dissapear completely.

I even tried on persistence 0.5 (just for tests) and it's the same, on persistence 0.5 it's less visible because screen is so dark that obviously any shadow-like things will be less visible, but it's still there. on persistence 1.0 it's clearly visible

so is there any way to get rid of this ghosting at the top of the screen? Crosstalk doesn't help, it just changes position of this ghosting.