Thinking of buying BenQ Xl2430T

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
downthesun

Thinking of buying BenQ Xl2430T

Post by downthesun » 06 May 2015, 00:11

Hey guys ive been reading through a few threads to try and answer my own question but now im more confused that anything.

At the moment i have a Qnix 2710 Evolution II which i have overclocked to around 119hz.. And what a difference that makes to 60hz!!!!

But lately i have been considering downgrading in size and going for the absolute fastest 24inch panel i can get. Which has brought me to the benq and its 1ms response time. Afaik the qnix is 8ms and i know its not huge but if that gives me a fraction of a second longer to see and react im happy. I Understand the TN panels are probably the way to go for gaming to get as close to the old CRT smoothness back in the days.

I understand that the 2430T has its own motion blur reduction built in but if you turn it the image may be a bit darker but then you can turn up the strobe to counter that.. now does that have its own drawbacks? Ive also read that you can only run it at 120hz if you wish to turn blur reduction on successfully.. is this right? And if this has its own inbuilt settings for motion blue what is the need for the downloadable utility to do also... does it have extra features or work better.

Will the monitor perform better in terms of hz/motion blur/response time over my existing qnix running at stock regardless of all the extra tweaks?

I live in New Zealand so we are limited by availability anyway so the only other option at this stage is the ASUS VG248QE 24.. I have an ati 7970 so probably wont benefit from the g-sync thing and ive used z-sync OFF since LCD days and not gonna bother trying anything until there is absolutely zero input lag cos i have the drifting mouse thing.

Cheers for your time
Last edited by downthesun on 06 May 2015, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Re: Thinking of buy BenQ Xl2430T

Post by Falkentyne » 06 May 2015, 00:33

If you turn on the single strobe option (in the service menu), on the XL2430T, you can use strobing anywhere between 60 hz to 129 hz in 1 hz increments (by custom resolutions) and up to 145-146 hz (with reduced timings). Most can also accept vertical total tweaks to lower the strobe crosstalk, but different refresh rates will have a different limit on vertical totals. I think the XL2430T is the exact same panel as the XL2411Z and XL2420Z (and funny enough, the Asus VG248QE), so Masterotaku's settings will work identically for you.
It's also good for gaming consoles running at 60 hz.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=560

The difference is this already has the firmware with the improved overdrive, so unlike XL2411Z/20Z/xl2720Z, you don't need V4 firmware. The XL2430T is a good buy if you don't want or care about Nvidia 3d vision (the Z series have 3d vision, the xl2430t does not).

Some refresh rates may act strangely or randomly go out of range (like 76 hz) so you can see what works for you.
The Benq monitors are the only ones that can do 60 hz single strobe successfully. All of the others are limited to 85-120 hz.
(the xl2730z has strobe errors and missing the single strobe option, this will hopefully be addressed in a firmware update).

downthesun

Post by downthesun » 06 May 2015, 00:40

Oh man i dont really understand what strobe crosstalk is? What do you mean when you say 145 - 146 with reduced timings?

Im mainly looking at playing cs go and bf4 and any other good FPS game. What exactly is VT tweak and what does it do compared to the ToastyX CRU?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 06 May 2015, 04:20

downthesun wrote:Oh man i dont really understand what strobe crosstalk is? What do you mean when you say 145 - 146 with reduced timings?

Im mainly looking at playing cs go and bf4 and any other good FPS game. What exactly is VT tweak and what does it do compared to the ToastyX CRU?
ToastyX CRU (custom resolution utility) is a program that lets you customize and create new screen resolutions. If you use it and use their settings you will get less crosstalk which is the artifact of seeing a part of the previous/future frame at the top or the bottom of the screen when ULMB is enabled.

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=al ... &height=-1

downthesun

Re: Thinking of buying BenQ Xl2430T

Post by downthesun » 06 May 2015, 17:52

Ok cool. So Will i have a better visual experience changing from my qnix to the benq? Or will there not be a huge amount of difference?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 May 2015, 18:16

If you're talking about gaming, then any gaming monitor with motion blur reduction will kick the pants off that Qinx.
The Benq (benq blur reduction, proprietary, can be used on any system or game console; 60 hz (single strobe available)-144hz), the Acer Predator (ULMB, NVidia only, 85 and 100hz strobing only since it's an IPS, and not fast enough for 120-144 hz strobing), and the Asus Rog Swift (ULMB, NVidia only, 85 ,100 or 120hz and maybe 144 hz strobe) will all be much better.

For picture and content creation, you want a VA monitor for that.
You can't have both a good visual experience motion blur wise and a good experience image quality wise, unless you go with the Eizo Foris, which is a VA panel, has strobing but because all of these panels are "discards" of the $6,000 commercial Eizo panels that didn't pass quality control, the Eizo is an even bigger panel lottery (on getting a decent panel without huge defects) than either the Asus Rog or the Acer XB270HU predator are.

The main benefit of the Benq over the others are the insane amount of tweaking you can do, and a single strobe service menu option for strobing at lower than 100hz (no other monitor on the market can single strobe at 60hz for 60 fps locked games and game consoles). The Benq lags far behind the other monitors in motion blur ghosting quality, unless it's flashed with V4 firmware, which allows it to compete with the other panels, instead of being an overshoot mess like V2 firmware was.

It's also easier to win the panel lottery with the Benq than the other panels.

downthesun

Post by downthesun » 06 May 2015, 20:20

So why is single strobbing at 60 hz good for me if i am going to be using it at 144hz? I wont be using a console through it. And there is only two options in NZ at the moment and that is the ASUS VG248QE or the BenQ XL2430T so looks like the benq is my best bet?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 May 2015, 20:23

I never said it was good for you.
I was listing the advantages of the monitor.
I don't know what's good for you. Only YOU know what's good for you.

Sorry I was in a hurry.
But I list what advantages the monitor has or doesn't have, then you choose based on what's right for your needs.