Reverting to Default settings?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
johndahon94

Reverting to Default settings?

Post by johndahon94 » 15 May 2015, 13:16

Hello, I've recently used this tool on my benq xl2411z and noticed alot of flickering on 60hz I know, it says and I've turned off the override setting so it doesn't do it but as I brought this monitor because I get eyestrain really easily I've decided the best thing to do is probably to revert to default settings.
how can I go back to default settings?
does using this program without the override has any flickering at all or even make any changes?

Thanks in advance,
John

Falkentyne

Re: Reverting to Default settings?

Post by Falkentyne » 15 May 2015, 13:51

tl;dr: turn single strobe "off" in the service menu.

If your screen does not come with version 4 firmware, updating it to it via Linux is not a bad idea. It improves the default overdrive setting so it isn't quite as intense (another 2411Z user who went to V4 said that even non blur reduction overdrive (AMA high) seemed improved), and overall it's a lot nicer than V2 (There's no information on V3, however).

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=200

About the override stuff:
The override box in the windows utility simply turns on the "Single strobe" option in the service menu.
You can enable or disable this yourself by going into the service menu. You can enter the service menu by powering off and holding down button #2 for 5 seconds and then pressing power with button 2 still held down.

On the 2420Z and 2720Z (and maybe the 2430T), it's button 4 that does this, not button 2.

Turning single strobe off causes 60 hz to double strobe (strobes at 120hz rate (one strobe every two refreshes, I think)), but there is not much difference between double strobe at 60hz and blur reduction off. Double strobe looks a bit fake.

More about the override button (why it says it 'allows' customization):

I believe this was due to a BUG that existed when custom strobe settings were first implemented.
In V1 firmware, you could not change strobe settings at all.

In V2, notice this description:
"allows customization of blur reduction. Also enables 60hz blur reduction (single strobe) and will cause flicker.
The first part: (allows customization) may have actually been a BUG on benq's part.

In version 2 firmware, if single strobe is turned OFF at 100 hz to 144 hz refresh rate, if blur reduction is off, when you turn blur reduction ON, it seems to act identically to version 1 firmware: using "default" values that are not the custom values you selected. (I sometimes saw this happen after resolution switches too, although after a hard power cycle of the screen, that stopped happening). I Don't know if this happened on the 2411z or 2420z but it did on the 2720z. But, as soon as the BRIGHTNESS setting were changed on the OSD, or any change to strobe duty or strobe phase (Only at 100hz and higher) were changed, the custom strobe settings instantly got applied. Due to this anomaly, single strobe being turned on automatically (from the windows utility) whenever any slider was moved fixes this (as all custom settings instantly work when you enable blur reduction, if single strobe is enabled).

Version 4 firmware fixed this bug (one of the undocumented changes to V4, as well as improved default overdrive during blur reduction, plus a hidden AMA setting (not accessible if blur reduction is off) by changing AMA after MBR is enabled (instead of before).

In V4, you can now use custom strobe adjustments with single strobe set to off (and have them apply instantly when you enable MBR), as long are you are at 100hz refresh rate or higher. Custom refresh rates lower than 100hz require Single Strobe to be enabled for custom settings to work (also some refresh rates < 100hz will double strobe unless single strobe is enabled).

johndahon94

Post by johndahon94 » 15 May 2015, 14:32

Falkentyne wrote:tl;dr: turn single strobe "off" in the service menu.

If your screen does not come with version 4 firmware, updating it to it via Linux is not a bad idea. It improves the default overdrive setting so it isn't quite as intense (another 2411Z user who went to V4 said that even non blur reduction overdrive (AMA high) seemed improved), and overall it's a lot nicer than V2 (There's no information on V3, however).

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=200

About the override stuff:
The override box in the windows utility simply turns on the "Single strobe" option in the service menu.
You can enable or disable this yourself by going into the service menu. You can enter the service menu by powering off and holding down button #2 for 5 seconds and then pressing power with button 2 still held down.

On the 2420Z and 2720Z (and maybe the 2430T), it's button 4 that does this, not button 2.

Turning single strobe off causes 60 hz to double strobe (strobes at 120hz rate (one strobe every two refreshes, I think)), but there is not much difference between double strobe at 60hz and blur reduction off. Double strobe looks a bit fake.

More about the override button (why it says it 'allows' customization):

I believe this was due to a BUG that existed when custom strobe settings were first implemented.
In V1 firmware, you could not change strobe settings at all.

In V2, notice this description:
"allows customization of blur reduction. Also enables 60hz blur reduction (single strobe) and will cause flicker.
The first part: (allows customization) may have actually been a BUG on benq's part.

In version 2 firmware, if single strobe is turned OFF at 100 hz to 144 hz refresh rate, if blur reduction is off, when you turn blur reduction ON, it seems to act identically to version 1 firmware: using "default" values that are not the custom values you selected. (I sometimes saw this happen after resolution switches too, although after a hard power cycle of the screen, that stopped happening). I Don't know if this happened on the 2411z or 2420z but it did on the 2720z. But, as soon as the BRIGHTNESS setting were changed on the OSD, or any change to strobe duty or strobe phase (Only at 100hz and higher) were changed, the custom strobe settings instantly got applied. Due to this anomaly, single strobe being turned on automatically (from the windows utility) whenever any slider was moved fixes this (as all custom settings instantly work when you enable blur reduction, if single strobe is enabled).

Version 4 firmware fixed this bug (one of the undocumented changes to V4, as well as improved default overdrive during blur reduction, plus a hidden AMA setting (not accessible if blur reduction is off) by changing AMA after MBR is enabled (instead of before).

In V4, you can now use custom strobe adjustments with single strobe set to off (and have them apply instantly when you enable MBR), as long are you are at 100hz refresh rate or higher. Custom refresh rates lower than 100hz require Single Strobe to be enabled for custom settings to work (also some refresh rates < 100hz will double strobe unless single strobe is enabled).

Well I'm currently on v3 and I feel if I update something is bound to go wrong haha as I know literally nothing about monitors. What settings would you recommend that are easy on the eyes? I followed this guys tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvsmO5cjB6A as I was recommended it but the settings don't seem to work to well, I guess because I'm on v3. Cheers buddy

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 May 2015, 14:52

The only problem with the 24" monitors (ALL of them have this problem, including the much older T series, as they all use the exact same panel (AU Optronics M240HW01 V8, a fast, popular panel used in a bunch of models, including the Asus VG248QE) is that the Gamma point drops drastically as the refresh rate increases. Someone way back was saying that Asus used 'substandard' hardware which caused this, but now it's known that it's just the panel itself that suffers from this), so if you change refresh rates, you need to either use different ICC profiles for each, or change the monitor OSD gamma setting.

On some panels, even gamma 5 may not be enough to get 2.2 gamma at 144 hz, then you need to calibrate.
I don't know if color depth is lost also (The 27" panels don't suffer from this).

Besides that, you can try brightness 100 (for blur reduction), brightness 20-40 (for blur reduction off), contrast 43-50, Standard Mode, and color channels at whatever.

Using vertical total tweaks is recommended for blur reduction, otherwise there is too much strobe crosstalk (particularly at the bottom of the screen).

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=560

May I ask a question if you're still here? (please)
Go to 100hz refresh rate and enable blur reduction first.

Go to this site.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

Go to the OSD menu->picture and go to AMA
Go to AMA high, press enter once so high is highlighted yellow (over the existing checkbox) (but don't press enter a second time) then press either Back (easiest, as you won't see the shifts of off/premium to distract you), or move to AMA off (or premium) then back to high.

What happens to the inverse ghosting on that page? Does it get -worse- or -better-?

johndahon94

Post by johndahon94 » 16 May 2015, 09:41

Falkentyne wrote:The only problem with the 24" monitors (ALL of them have this problem, including the much older T series, as they all use the exact same panel (AU Optronics M240HW01 V8, a fast, popular panel used in a bunch of models, including the Asus VG248QE) is that the Gamma point drops drastically as the refresh rate increases. Someone way back was saying that Asus used 'substandard' hardware which caused this, but now it's known that it's just the panel itself that suffers from this), so if you change refresh rates, you need to either use different ICC profiles for each, or change the monitor OSD gamma setting.

On some panels, even gamma 5 may not be enough to get 2.2 gamma at 144 hz, then you need to calibrate.
I don't know if color depth is lost also (The 27" panels don't suffer from this).

Besides that, you can try brightness 100 (for blur reduction), brightness 20-40 (for blur reduction off), contrast 43-50, Standard Mode, and color channels at whatever.

Using vertical total tweaks is recommended for blur reduction, otherwise there is too much strobe crosstalk (particularly at the bottom of the screen).

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=560

May I ask a question if you're still here? (please)
Go to 100hz refresh rate and enable blur reduction first.

Go to this site.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

Go to the OSD menu->picture and go to AMA
Go to AMA high, press enter once so high is highlighted yellow (over the existing checkbox) (but don't press enter a second time) then press either Back (easiest, as you won't see the shifts of off/premium to distract you), or move to AMA off (or premium) then back to high.

What happens to the inverse ghosting on that page? Does it get -worse- or -better-?
Hey man, sorry for late reaply, I appreciate all the help.

I find that there's ever so slightly less ghosting on high over none or premium

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 May 2015, 10:03

Ugh, I don't think you understood me.

Is there less or more ghosting when you set AMA on high AFTER blur reduction is turned on, compared to setting AMA on high BEFORE blur reduction is turned on?

if you set AMA on high AFTER blur reduction is turned on, the existing default AMA high settings get overridden and applied with a new value.

the default value is turning off blur reduction, setting AMA to high, and THEN turning on blur reduction.
So I wanted to ask if you can test that.

On version 4 firmware, if you set AMA to high after turning on MBR, the (inverse overshoot) is less intense than setting MBR on normally (with it on high BEFORE turning on MBR).

johndahon94

Post by johndahon94 » 16 May 2015, 14:08

Falkentyne wrote:Ugh, I don't think you understood me.

Is there less or more ghosting when you set AMA on high AFTER blur reduction is turned on, compared to setting AMA on high BEFORE blur reduction is turned on?

if you set AMA on high AFTER blur reduction is turned on, the existing default AMA high settings get overridden and applied with a new value.

the default value is turning off blur reduction, setting AMA to high, and THEN turning on blur reduction.
So I wanted to ask if you can test that.

On version 4 firmware, if you set AMA to high after turning on MBR, the (inverse overshoot) is less intense than setting MBR on normally (with it on high BEFORE turning on MBR).
So with blur reduction on the picture is clear with slight ghosting and with blur reduction off the ship is just one big blurry fuzz

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 May 2015, 14:56

Yeah I know that.
But this is what I want you to do.
I want you to do blur reduction on, in both tests, but in the first test,

set blur reduction off (I don't care about the result with MBR OFF), then set it on.
Look at how much ghosting or inverse ghosting is on the UFO.

Then the second test, keep MBR on.
then go to AMA setting.
If it's on high, "retoggle" it to high (this will over-write the original setting with a new setting).
Is this clear, now?

Masterotaku, can you help? :( I don't think he understands what I'm asking :(

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 16 May 2015, 18:19

Simple steps of what Falkentyne said (he already explained it well, anyway):

1- If you already have AMA at High, just in case toggle blur reduction off and on again.
2- Check ghosting.
3- While blur reduction is still on, change AMA to Off and then to High again.
4- Check ghosting again.
5- Notice differences (or not) in overdrive artifacts/ghosting compared to step 2.

With the XL2411Z and XL2420Z, the change of overdrive is most noticeable at low refresh rates, like 60Hz (it looks better in step 4). That happens at least in the V4 firmware, but not in V2. We just want to know if the V3 firmware already has that change.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR