Ghosting Problem.. (xl2411z)

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
alex667

Ghosting Problem.. (xl2411z)

Post by alex667 » 12 Jun 2015, 19:27

Hey guys, I recently upgraded my Benq XL2411z to firmware 4.
Then I used the VT 1502 Tweak and limited my hz to 120.

After experiementing with the strobe utility and testing on testufo.com I still have much ghosting..

Blur Reduction is activated and AMA in on HIGH

Falkentyne

Re: Ghosting Problem.. (xl2411z)

Post by Falkentyne » 12 Jun 2015, 20:15

Ghosting or strobe crosstalk?

crosstalk will be higher at 120hz than at 100hz or lower, even with a VT tweak.
This also applies to Nvidia LIghtboost mode (which uses an equivalent of the VT tweak by hardware accelerated scanout).

If you're talking about 'overdrive ghosting artifacts, you can lower that on V4 by doing the following (This didn't work in V2).

1) enable blur reduction
2) go to AMA, press enter once
highlight high, if its already highlighted press "back" (but don't press enter again),
or, move AMA slider to off or premium then back to high then presss enter.
(for some reason, AMA is toggled instantly by moving the selection over the AMA value instantly. It's also toggled by pressing "Back" (Menu) on the OSD, but pressing Enter to confirm the selection doesn't do anything).

This should lower the ghosting a bit. You will know you did it right because you will see the screen do a 'refresh'.
You can gain a bit more improvement by lowering the contrast in combination with this.

Changing refresh rate or resolution, Brightness level (OSD), strobe duty, strobe phase or single strobe, will reset the AMA back to default

alex667

Post by alex667 » 12 Jun 2015, 20:23

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

I've just tested it in ingame and it feels sooooo much smoother. Even my mouse aiming feels "faster".

I can still make a screenshot how bad it looks with testufos. But first I'll sleep ^^

alex667

Post by alex667 » 13 Jun 2015, 05:11

I don't know why the 30fps Ufo is not bluring on the photo but in fact it is bluring the most :D

I've uploaded screenshots on imgur (album) :
http://imgur.com/a/RCybF

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Jun 2015, 05:36

Alex did you understand what I asked you to do?
I told you to enable blur reduction then TOGGLE AMA to high (even if its already on high before). it will lower the overdrive ghosting. You need to use the alien invasion test to see this

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

Did you do this?

alex667

Post by alex667 » 13 Jun 2015, 05:40

You said my screen will do a refresh.. But it didn't.
I'm doing something wrong. How can I highlight it ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Jun 2015, 06:22

Go to AMA
press enter once so its on "high"
then press BACK(Menu) (Don't press enter though, that will not "Toggle" it).

**OR**
Move AMA from high to premium or off, then move it back to high and press enter.

monitor_butt

Post by monitor_butt » 13 Jun 2015, 07:42

alex667 wrote:You said my screen will do a refresh.. But it didn't.
I'm doing something wrong. How can I highlight it ?
I only notice the "refresh" when on the actual motion test page. Watch the Aliens and you will notice a slight hiccup when you do it properly and the trails will be reduced.

Also, I would tweak the settings manually via the service menu, as they provide better results in my experience over the official blur tool. From a bunch of different settings I've tried, the ones Falk posted in another thread are the best I've seen:
So, for a strobe duty of 004 (0.668 ms persistence) and for gaming at the lowest input lag, without having too much crosstalk at the bottom of the screen, and having the top of the screen perfect (this is what masterotaku likes to do), you could use:
125 hz: VT 1498, strobe phase 044 (max persistence is 0.668), strobe duty 004
120 hz: VT 1500, strobe phase 046, strobe duty 004
100hz: VT 1502: strobe phase 056, strobe duty 004,
Edit: I forget, but I also believe the new AMA refresh trick needs to be done every time the monitor powers off or switches resolution/refresh rate. Kind of a pain in the ass.

alex667

Post by alex667 » 13 Jun 2015, 08:15

thaanks I'll try later and edit this post

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Jun 2015, 08:23

Yeah. Also has to be done when you change the brightness (although not the contrast, gamma, black equalizer or color channel settings).
I think the AMA setting is tied to contrast level too, so changing the undocumented AMA setting also changes the contrast point for overdrive point, which may make certain ghosting patterns worse and less desirable. So you need to find the contrast level that gives you suitable quality when you use the AMA toggle.

For example:
On XL2720Z:
With the default blur reduction and AMA settings (not toggled, just default)
Contrast 50 has the highest ratio without oversaturation of white/yellows, but intensifies inverse overdrive ghosting almost -double- that of contrast 40. Inverse ghosting can look somewhat purpleish on testufo alien invasion. But some games may look better since you're at the max correct contrast ratio without overwashing the white point.

Contrast 43 has the correct overall white balance point.
Contrast 40 has the lowest amount of inverse ghosting possible at the default AMA settings. Going lower than 40 does not improve inverse ghosting at all. it DOES improve normal ghosting but causes a very unpleasant white spectral trailing artifacts to appear instead of darker artifacts on black to white ghost transitions, which look horrible at contrast 0. This makes dropping the contrast undesirable without the toggle; the monitor performs best between contrast 40-50.

With toggled AMA high:
Inverse ghosting gets completely removed due to lower overdrive gain settings. Becomes rather intense -normal- ghosting at contrast 50 (far too much normal ghosting).
Lots of normal ghosting at contrast 40. Obvious dark ghost copies of black letters/objects on white backgrounds. Even though inverse ghosting was removed, normal ghosting that was added will make many things actually look worse at high contrast (this is sort of the "good" thing about having inverse ghosting).

But....
Almost all normal ghosting that was 'added' is removed at contrast 0, WITHOUT any of the 'white' spectral trails anymore (remember if AMA is not toggled, you will get very sharp, white translucent ghost patterns from dark objects). Very faint to virtually unoticable inverse ghosting, equal to or better than lightboost mode (at a higher contrast), but contrast ratio and black level are -very- low, and image is pretty dim unless you use a persistence higher than 1.3 ms.