BenQ XL2411Z Bad Ghosting?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
kioty

BenQ XL2411Z Bad Ghosting?

Post by kioty » 14 Nov 2015, 11:28

Hi, i'm trying to work out if my new BenQ XL2411Z has ghosting problems or i'm just not used to it. When using the UFO Ghosting test- it looks like this http://i.imgur.com/NAbVwxn.png at 120hz- and it feels very blurry ingame, obviously this isn't a photo of my screen but that's what it looks like: one very clear image behind it in that position and another very faint one. I've set BR on, toggle AMA High, contrast 40, VT tweak, used the Blur Buster utility thing and also changed the settings my self in the OSD as someone recommended and that's as good as it has got. Is it meant to be that bad?

SigmaOrionis

Re: BenQ XL2411Z Bad Ghosting?

Post by SigmaOrionis » 14 Nov 2015, 11:32

Hi,
ive got your exact same issue on the XL2730Z and just posted a topic about it.
Maybe we are not used to this type of panels, i really don't know.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Nov 2015, 11:52

I answered your post on reddit.
I'll copy what I wrote here.

Also I put some pictures in the other thread next to this one.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2551

----------------------------------------------------

Hi, Yeah, unfortunately that's how it's supposed to be.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5606/2/ ... -overdrive

The Benqs are gaming monitors and being such, they push the response time of the monitor extremely low, by using a very aggressive overdrive mechanism. In FPS games, this isn't much of a problem; I actually find that in most scenarios, I don't notice the inverse RTA artifacts (what you're seeing are RTA artifacts) in FPS games....it's when you are in 2D/side scrolling games in windows that it really gets to you.

Benq used an even MORE aggressive overdrive in blur reduction off mode. I find that in something like Black ops 3, you really can't see the RTA artifacts from the high overdrive at "AMA high" but you DEFINTELY can in windows and it gets annoying.

The XL2720Z monitor has some undocumented features and some bug exploits that allow you to remove all of the inverse ghosting (turning it into normal ghosting, which can then be mostly (but not fully) removed by lowering the contrast to 5-20. There is also a profile bug exploit that allows you to set blur reduction off to have a perfect overdrive balance where there are NO overdrive artifacts at all, making the overdrive better than any other monitor on the market, besides maybe the Eizo Foris or Ilyama Prolite 144hz directdrive monitor.

If you are on V3 or newer firmware, you can reduce the overdrive intensity by about 10% (XL2720Z allows you to reduce it by 50% which is MUCH MUCH better), by doing the following:

1) enable blur reduction. 2) go to AMA and set it to "high" AFTER enabling blur reduction. if its already on high, move it to off or premium then press back/cancel (or you could press enter ONCE on high then instead of pressing enter again to confirm, press "back"). that will overwrite AMA high with an AMA high -10% value.

This improves 60hz (single strobe=enabled) more than 144hz.

There is an exploit you can do to get this AMA -10% effect into a blur reduction OFF mode.

First, save a profile (standard mode with blur reduction OFF) into a gaming 1-3 preset. Save another copy of that same preset, but with blur reduction ON, into another gaming preset that is right next to it (e.g. gamer 1 and 2, gamer 2 and 3, but NOT gamer 1 and 3).

Activate the gaming preset with blur reduction enabled. Do the "AMA -10% toggle" I mentioned. Instantly activate the "Blur reduction off" preset.

This will improve blur reduction off's AMA by a pretty big margin (but won't make it as perfect as doing this on the XL2720Z with the exact same toggles, which somehow puts the overdrive right into the "Tracefree=50" Asus setting (which is theoretically perfect; Tracefree=50 does not exist, but Tracefree=40 has very faint ghost trailing of the UFO with no ghosting coronoas, while tracefree 60 has no ghosting but a faint corona trail).

About games being blurry: What game are u talking about? If testUFO shows a CLEAR image followed by a ghost inverse copy, games should NOT be blurry! Blur reduction should only be used if FRAMERATE is exactly equal to refresh rate in games. in counterstrike, you may get a blurry image if the rate tic of the server is too low (this limits the game framerate updates severely).

Kllrt

Post by Kllrt » 17 Nov 2015, 09:11

Falkentyne, thanks for posting this! I was really frustrated that I can't make my new XL2411Z to look like in Blur Busters website, this nearly fixed ghosting, there is nearly none in the center of screen now!

urut

Post by urut » 17 Nov 2015, 18:55

Falkentyne, so when i play on display scaled resolution (1024x768 @ 144hz in OSD ingame) and i doo all of this steps (gamer2 with contrast 43, ama high(toggled to low), bbr ON) and gamer3 with contrast 43, ama high, bbr OFF) when i do this in game this will be work ?

Cuz at 1920x1080 on testufo i see it works, and this will work when i do this ingame too? (on display scaled resolution) ? :D

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Nov 2015, 19:51

Yes it works. The monitor doesn't switch resolutions when changing profiles. The resolution isn't important.
I can even make it work at 2560x1440@115 hz (display scaled).

I only start getting difficulties at 3200x1800@60hz because blur reduction doesn't work. Strange VT to avoid "out of range" error makes monitor scaler not even identify the resolution correctly so turning on blur reduction makes the backlight shut off.

Why are you playing without blur reduction anyway? That's criminal ! I've turned it off from time to time just to mess around, but I've never seen any reason not to keep it on at all times...

urut

Post by urut » 17 Nov 2015, 20:01

Thanks for answer. :)

And why i play without blur reduction? Cuz i want less input lag at all :p. This is the main reason :P.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Nov 2015, 20:10

This is not true.

There is no difference in input lag if blur reduction is off or on. It's the exact same, UNLESS you use strobe phase 000.
strobe phase 000 will add 1 frame of input lag by pushing strobe into NEXT frame, for lower crosstalk at bottom of the screen.
Use strobe phase =100 if not using VT tweak. VT in use must use lower strobe phase (depends on refresh rate) as strobe width persistence must be 0.167ms, so maximum strobe phase is limited (but the same rule still applies).
I gave VT and strobe phase limits in main post.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

It is the same as blur reduction off. (I have tested it with a frame test).

urut

Post by urut » 17 Nov 2015, 20:18

But i feel mouse input lag when BBR is on i dunno why. :P And want to play with 144hz
Last edited by urut on 17 Nov 2015, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Nov 2015, 20:21

Strobe phase?