Benq Service/Factory Menus, VT tweaks, XLX2720Z AMA Low

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
whitestar

Re: Benq Service/Factory Menus, VT tweaks, XLX2720Z AMA Low

Post by whitestar » 31 Oct 2016, 13:27

Falkentyne wrote:4) The service menu with the single strobe (For single strobing refresh rates lower than 100hz), strobe duty, strobe phase and other settings are holding button #4 for 5 seconds after powering on, or while powered off, on XL2420Z, XL2430T, XL2720Z and XL2730Z.
Hi again Falkentyne. :) I think you should rephrase this, since it's not quite accurate. I just tried this I could not get it to work until I saw that video you linked to in another thread. Maybe you should also link to it in this thread?
Anyway, I would change the wording to this: "To enter the service menu (XL2420Z, XL2430T, XL2720Z and XL2730Z) with the single strobe (for single strobing refresh rates lower than 100hz), strobe duty, strobe phase and other settings: Turn off the monitor, then press and hold menu button #2 from the bottom. While holding this button, press the power button to turn the monitor on. The lights will flash, and when the monitor has turned on press button #2 once to enter the service menu.
In the service menu use button #5 (up), #4 (down) and #3 (select) to navigate the menu.
"

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Oct 2016, 14:11

Ok I'll do this. Thank you.
By the way, if the monitor was ever powered off or from AC power or reset (not sure if signal loss also messes this up), you can't enter the service or factory menu without power cycling it once with the power button. Also the sticky on the general section is more up to date.

Have you seen firmware 006 for the "Zowie" XL2720Z or any of the other Zowie rebranded monitors?

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 31 Oct 2016, 17:38

Falkentyne wrote:Have you seen firmware 006 for the "Zowie" XL2720Z or any of the other Zowie rebranded monitors?
Unfortunately no, my middle and left monitors are V5 and my right is V4. Great monitors though. :)

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 11 May 2017, 20:58

How do I maintain 8bpc using Displayport with the XL2720Z at 120Hz? I'm using nvidia custom resolutions.

1920x1080
Front porch 48, 3
Sync Width 32, 5
Total 2001, 1499

120.00Hz

359.9399Mhz

And it still forces 6bpc.

If I simply change the vertical total to 1350 (dropping the clock to ~324Mhz) 8bpc is enabled again.

I thought that the limit was 360Mhz?

DP has been a major pain in the butt since I switched from DVI a month ago, I'm about ready to switch back, I just wish the DVI cables weren't so cumbersome.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 12 May 2017, 08:18

What happens when you use VT 1498 or VT 1497? (even though VT 1497 is unreliable and causes frameskipping at 120hz (very obvious) more than half the time)?

You're using an Nvidia video card?
On AMD, 359.94 mhz keeps 8 bpc.

One other thing you can try is decreasing the porch and sync values to see if that helps. But it might not, since that doesn't change the pixel clock. See if front porch 48/1 (instead of 48/3) and sync width 32/1 (instead of 32/5) works; you may have to readjust the VT.

If you're using ToastyX CRU, you could try using the Nvidia control panel. But I had problems on my NVIDIA card because when I hook up the Benq to the mini displayport on my laptop (GTX 1070 mobile), there is no option to switch to 6 bpc at all....its 8 bpc only. And when I use a custom that forces 6 bpc (like your example) with ToastyX CRU, the monitor just black screens. However i was able to get a display using VT 1498 via the NVCP (not VT 1499--black screen).

All I can say is this works with AMD.....

maou42

Post by maou42 » 18 Apr 2019, 19:28

Hi falkentyne

Apologies for butting in in that convo but I was impressed with your clear knowledge of Benq monitors. If you had the time to suggest a few things about my problem, I would very grateful of your time and effort.

I killed my 24 inches IPS Benq yesterday by accident. Screen broken... So I ordered a replacement for today. I was running it with AMA off without problem (response time of 5ms though I understand it is often a meaningless measurement.

I thought I had done my maths and research and got a GC2870H. I thought a VA panel would offer me better black levels than my IPS (it does). It also has a static contrast of 3000:1 which is much better than the 1000:1 I had.
I had read about VA being slow but most people online stated that this model was perfectly fine for gaming and it was advertised as having a resonse time of 8ms and 4 ms grey to grey. Also, it is a true 8bit panel, not a 6bit+frc. I addition to it being 28inches, I thought it was a good replacement for my gw2480e.

I just got the new one today and while the image quality is very good, the ghosting is shocking with AMA off. It seems to me that AMA high or Premium introduces the famed artifact. I looked online for some tips and after some rather fruitless search ended up on this thread.

If you could kindly advise:
Running it in standard or user mode makes no difference. The gamer mode is odd: It looks like the sharpness operates on a different scale (I have to turn it to 1 to get the same result than 5 in the other modes).

My question is: Is there a bug that can be exploited on this monitor that would result in what you describe on this thread? Any user mode I could enter and modify?

Thank you for your time if you eventually read this old thread

Mat

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Apr 2019, 14:24

Sorry, I know nothing about that panel. I don't even have a current Benq monitor with the Realtek 2796BF scaler (still have the old XL2720Z) so my ability to help now is very limited.

saw141

Post by saw141 » 05 Dec 2020, 06:48

I'm adjusting my OD Gain on my XL2740. I've found that changing the default from "4C" to "35" with AMA Premium...has completely eliminated ghosting for me. However, I turned Blur Reduction on and now I have a slightly different form of ghosting, and OD Gain always resets to a default value of "3A" instead of "4C" or any custom set values. Is this due to Blur Reduction being on?

I saw in this video from Solid Lad https://youtu.be/iF2ar02wGnc?t=1682 where he describes the "Intensity" setting in the internal menu, as increasing the time for black frames to be inserted. He claims that for his monitor in the video, on Firmware version V001, shown in his menu...that "Intensity" was bugged at the time and only lowered the brightness, and did not increase the time for black frame insertion accordingly.
  • 1: So, my main question is...is it worth it to have Blur Reduction on with AMA Premium and "OD Gain 3A", on my XL2740? Instead of just having AMA Premium without Blur Reduction? When adjusting OD Gain without Blur Reduction, I seemed to entirely eliminate ghosting.
  • 2: Is there any way to make OD Gain adjustments persistent?
  • 3: My XL2740 shows F/W Version: V003 20180914, does anyone know if this setting is now working properly? It would seem that based off Falkentyne's comment on this Overclock thread (https://www.overclock.net/threads/benq- ... t-25815528), that is does work properly in V002+ for this series.
  • 4: Is "Intensity" it worth it? If it actually is working accordingly, of course. I tested setting "Intensity" to 25, from its' default of 10...it didn't seem to help motion clarity in a brief test I did at >240FPS constant in a game. The brightness was intensely... reduced; so much so that it makes me really wonder whether or not the trade-off could be worth it for me...I also didn't personally notice a difference in clarity, it already looks wonderful. I set "Intensity" back to its' default value of 10 for now.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Dec 2020, 00:30

Only way to know is to try it. I don't own any of these Realtek monitors, so I have no way to help you.
Usually when you change resolution, refresh rate, the AMA setting or DyaC (blur reduction), you need to change the OD Gain *afterwards*.
That's because the OD Gain is calibrated automatically when the monitor changes settings, so it's not a persistent setting.

There's no way around it. That setting wasn't exactly designed to be accessed by end users...

saw141

Post by saw141 » 07 Dec 2020, 04:34

Falkentyne wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:30
Only way to know is to try it. I don't own any of these Realtek monitors, so I have no way to help you.
Usually when you change resolution, refresh rate, the AMA setting or DyaC (blur reduction), you need to change the OD Gain *afterwards*.
That's because the OD Gain is calibrated automatically when the monitor changes settings, so it's not a persistent setting.

There's no way around it. That setting wasn't exactly designed to be accessed by end users...
Thanks so much, I appreciate your response. :) I love the community here.