Xbox one 60 Hertz xl2720z questions

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: Xbox one 60 Hertz xl2720z questions

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Dec 2015, 21:43

Hi,
No, firmware v2 does not have the AMA low trick. Do you have V2 on your monitor?

If you do the "toggle" trick with V2, it makes the AMA *FAR* more aggressive than before....like...it makes the Benq look like a VA monitor's overdrive. It turns AMA high into worse than AMA premium.

It was because of that that this was changed in V3, so instead of making the AMA worse, it made it much lower.
So you can't do this to improve blur reduction off, either.
V3 firmware is useless due to the Displayport bug (which also affects V2 and V1 firmware, making displayport useless on XL2420Z and XL2720Z) so you need V4.

There are several ways to update to the newest V5 firmware.

1) http://www.yoycart.com/Product/5278188206/ <--100% works every time, I own this.
This can even recover if the DVI port EDID gets corrupted after a Linux flash (this has happened to a few people, maybe from UEFI Bioses on their motherboard?)

2) http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=220 (my exact instructions on page 23 here, step by step, will work).

Someone has the V5 firmware in a sendspace or onedrive file, I forgot.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2461
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... D90690A202

3) The AMA low toggle works FOR BLUR REDUCTION ON until 1) monitor brightness (OSD) is changed, 2) ANY Strobe setting is changed
3) resolution/refresh rate is changed. You can still change contrast or black equalizer without a problem, but not brightness.

4) The AMA low/profile switch toggle for blur reduction OFF works until you change resolution, refresh rate, or change any sort of scaling option in the OSD picture (advanced) settings, turn on or off Instant mode, or power cycle the screen. You can change brightness or contrast without a problem. Since blur reduction is off, changing strobe settings wont change the AMA.

David29

Post by David29 » 29 Dec 2015, 23:03

Tanks again for the response lets say i dont do nothing and keep the stock v2 firmware, and put strobe phase to 100 with blur reduction on will setting strobe phase to 100 make a big difference with the picture quality and give me a better input lag as well ? I dont feel like buying that chip to upgrade maybe throught linux but it does look a bit complicated and i don t want to mess up. Maybe someone should explain it in a youtube video ? Anyway if u can anwser would be awsome as usual :D

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Dec 2015, 00:17

Yes the strobe phase timings are unchanged from V2-V5. Its the same. Phase 100 has 1 frame lower input lag than strobe phase 000.
Strobe phase has NOTHING to do whatsoever with picture quality, besides changing where the Crosstalk is on the screen. It's the timing of when the strobe begins and ends.
I explained what it does. For more information check the other thread I wrote.

I don't have any Benq official changelogs on firmwares. This is all I know.

V2->V3 - Fixed low blue light profile option not being able to be changed in gaming presets
Changed AMA toggling after enabling blur reduction to lower the AMA current level (v3-v5), not increase it (V1 and V2). XL2420Z, XL2411Z will lower current AMA level slightly if AMA is set after enabling blur reduction. XL2720Z will lower current AMA drastically if AMA is set after enabling blur reduction.

Bugfix: Fixed Single Strobe "off" setting sometimes not allowing strobe adjustments at 100hz-144hz refresh rate. Now SS setting is ignored at 100-144hz and always considered on.

V3-V4 (XL2420Z, XL2720Z): Fixed Displayport instability
V4 XL2411Z: unknown

V4-V5 (XL2720Z) - unknown changes

David29

Post by David29 » 08 Jan 2016, 10:14

Okay so ive recived my monitor from amazon firmware v.5 :D last few question for the AMA LOW TRICK. Lets say the trick is done i am on profile one with the ama low trick applied, if for what ever reason the screen go off but not the power cord just the screen will i have to do the trick again ? Lets say i switch to a nother profile will i have to do the trick again ? Basicly is theres a way to do the trick without having to ever do it again or u got to do it everytime the screen go off/on like i said im not talking about taking the power off the wall just the screen goin black "off" tanks again

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Jan 2016, 13:40

If you use the AMA low trick with blur reduction, ANY change to monitor BRIGHTNESS, any profile switch, any resolution or refresh rate change or ANY strobe setting adjustment reverts the AMA. Same goes for the picture/display modes.

If you use the AMA low trick with the "bug" that allows AMA low to work with blur reduction OFF (a combination of AMA low+blur reduction on, then switching to a profile with blur reduction off), you can change brightness and strobe settings, but not refresh rate, resolution, or picture/display mode options.

Power cycling reverts the AMA always.

David29

Post by David29 » 08 Jan 2016, 14:44

Ok but my question is what is power cycle lol im still not sure is it when i unplug the power cord or just the screen going off like sleep mode "black screen " ?

David29

Post by David29 » 08 Jan 2016, 14:59

And what about switching to a nother preset does it revert the ama when i go back to my ama low presets ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Jan 2016, 17:55

If AMA is low with blur reduction OFF, and you switch to another PICTURE MODE preset with blur reduction ON OR OFF, AMA gets reset.

if AMA is low with blur reduction ON and you switch to another picture mode preset with blur reduction OFF, the picture mode preset gets AMA low applied to it.

The toggle only works MBR on to off, not Off to On.

Why aren't you testing this on your own?
In the time you're waiting for me to reply back (I am moving tomorrow, I may not have internet for a VERY long time), you could have tested all of this yourself.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

You can tell the difference between AMA high (MBR off), AMA high (MBR on), AMA low (MBR on) AMA PERFECT (MBR off), AMA low, MBR Off (technically this is switching directly from blur reduction on preset to blur reduction off preset as blur reduction has lower AMA by default anyway), etc.

guyfawkes47

Post by guyfawkes47 » 27 Jan 2016, 03:50

had a quick question regarding this flickering, it seems its more noticable on the white areas is there a way to make it less viable ?
noticed that its not much of a difference if single strobe is on with ama low trick with bluer reduction off profile... is single a advantage if only using blur reduction ? i noticed that i can still do the ama low trick with single strobe off or on. but it makes things look much better if single strobe is on and blur reduction and ama low trick. but the flickering though....ahhh :x

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Jan 2016, 04:03

LCD's don't flicker unless they use PWM dimming, if there is no strobing (blur reduction). This monitor is flicker free if blur reduction is disabled.

Single strobe is ONLY used for blur reduction. This setting is ignored and N/A if MBR is disabled.
A strobe is a full backlight on/off cycle. This strobe occurs EVERY refresh if single strobe is enabled and TWICE every refresh if single strobe is disabled.

At 60hz refresh rate, the video card refreshes 60 times a second. With single strobe enabled, the monitor will shut the backlight off and on 60 times a second, in sync with the refresh. With single strobe disabled, it will shut the backlight off and on TWICE per refresh for 120 times a second, and all strobe adjustments (phase, duty) are ignored if single strobe is disabled.

Single strobe is always enabled at 97hz and higher.

The strobe on/off cycle lasts for the duration of the refresh. The total time for the on/off cycle is the persistence time of the refresh rate (e.g. 60hz = 16.7 milliseconds). The monitor will be on for a very short time (this depends on the strobe duty value), like 1 or 2 milliseconds, and off for 14-15 milliseconds, for example; the total on/off time is equal to the persistence of the refresh rate.

The reason you get flicker at 60hz with single strobe enabled is very obvious...the human eyes can easily see a flicker if something is turned off 60 times a second.

Yes you can do the AMA low trick regardless of single strobe on/off. But when you do the AMA low trick, remember that ANY change (afterwards) to single strobe, strobe duty, strobe phase OR monitor brightness will instantly make the AMA revert back to default again.

If you use the profile bug to apply AMA low to blur reduction off, then changing single strobe or strobe settings won't revert the AMA since blur reduction is disabled.