BenQ XL2411Z: 3D Vision and Crosstalk

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
masterotaku

Re: BenQ XL2411Z: 3D Vision and Crosstalk

Post by masterotaku » 15 Jan 2016, 15:48

Falkentyne wrote: If you want a low res (why? just why??)
Sometimes performance is worse than we would want at native resolution :cry: . I would be playing Wasteland 2 at 1600x900 in 3D if it weren't for the random crashes, intead of 1920x1080 in 2D.

As another example, I'm playing FFXIII-2 at 1280x720 in 3D. The GPU usage in this game is unexpectedly high, compared to FFXIII. Even then, apart from the CPU usage peaks that cause fps drops and some other random drops, my GPU is still limiting me in some situations (where I get 60fps in 2D). But I don't want to sacrifice both native resolution and 3D.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Salk

Post by Salk » 16 Jan 2016, 01:52

Falkentyne wrote:You can't use VT tweaks with custom resolutions lower than native.
If you want a low res (why? just why??), use GPU scaling if you create the resolution. Then it will use the resolution data for 1920x1080 and the video card will downscale it.
I created a 720p custom resolution using VT1350 and when I tested it, I immediately understood it worked because the brightness was consistent with the customized 1080p.

The reason why I usually opt for a lower resolution is that the icons and text at 1080p is way too small and I don't want to strain my eyes to read or to put my face one inch away from the monitor to do it.

There is the large DPI option of course but switching to a lower resolution is the easiest method.

tygeezy

BenQ XL2411Z: 3D Vision and Crosstalk

Post by tygeezy » 29 Feb 2016, 22:07

masterotaku wrote:1) The glasses generation doesn't matter regarding to crosstalk. The difference is about the glass size, battery duration and shape of the glasses. So don't worry about this.

2) For 3D Vision, no difference. Zero. For blur reduction (no 3D) it makes a difference (it looks better) in inverse ghosting when toggling AMA to High.

3) The lower the contrast, the less crosstalk you'll get in general. Also, let your monitor warm up about half an hour before playing. 37 contrast is the default, and it's a good number. There is nothing else you can do. TN isn't fast enough to get 0 crosstalk. And you can't configure the overdrive in 3D, at least with this monitor.

4) No. I made my own ICC profile, adjusting gamma with QuickGamma until it was nearly perfect. Again, let it warm up. It will be more washed out until that.
Hey there, sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I didn't think it was necessary to create a new one since this is pretty new. I just got a ben q xl2420g monitor. I primarily got this for g sync, but i'm thinking I want to give 3d a shot since there is quite an active, passionate community.

From what I read about my monitor on ben q's page, for me to use 3d vision I must be in g sync mode. My monitor has two different scalers. One is for classic mode; which is using my dual link dvi connection. For the gsync mode you have to use the display port.

That being said, do you think this is a quality monitor for 3d? Also, could I use the ULMB mode with 3d vision? In gsync mode I can use ULMB if I set the refresh rate to 120 hz and I disable gsync in the nvdia control panel. How much of a performance hit are we talking? I'm currently running an i7 860 @ 3.2 ghz with a geforce 970. I can run quite a few games with dsr enabled at 4x; provided I turn down some eye candy. Is the performance hit with 3d vision similar to that of dsr 4x? Dsr 4x is essentially running 4k, but down-sampled. I believe this is actually a larger performance hit than native 4k because there is no down sampling taking place.

Is there any noticeable input lag when you play with 3D vision? How long of gaming session are you able to do? I've seen people say an hour and give yourself a break. I'm not sure about this advice because movies tend to be between 1 and a half and two and half hours. Perhaps playing is a little more stressful on the eyes than simply watching.

Finally, are there any deals out there for it? Seeing as how nobody is really excited over the 3d tech anymore with VR coming around. I see it for 150 on amazon. I actually got this monitor refurbished for 238 dollars. A pretty killer deal if you ask me. So far i haven't spotted any dead pixels and the monitor looks amazing after some calibration.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 04 Mar 2016, 16:07

Sorry for the late response, but here it goes.
tygeezy wrote: That being said, do you think this is a quality monitor for 3d?
It's probably just as good as any other 24" 3D Vision 2 compatible monitor. Differences are little between brands and models, so don't worry.
tygeezy wrote:Also, could I use the ULMB mode with 3d vision? In gsync mode I can use ULMB if I set the refresh rate to 120 hz and I disable gsync in the nvdia control panel.
Not exactly. 3D Vision 2 uses Lightboost, which is a blur reduction method very similar to ULMB. You can use it at 120Hz and 100Hz. Persistence is 1.4ms at the lowest point (10%, don't turn it down one step more). It will be automatic when you boot a game.
tygeezy wrote:How much of a performance hit are we talking? I'm currently running an i7 860 @ 3.2 ghz with a geforce 970. I can run quite a few games with dsr enabled at 4x; provided I turn down some eye candy. Is the performance hit with 3d vision similar to that of dsr 4x? Dsr 4x is essentially running 4k, but down-sampled. I believe this is actually a larger performance hit than native 4k because there is no down sampling taking place.
For the GPU, 60fps (per eye) in 3D is more or less like 120fps in 2D (some games are less demanding in 3D while others aren't). For the CPU, 60fps in 3D can be a lot less demanding than 120fps in 3D. In some CPU limited games I had like 90fps in 2D because of the CPU, but 60fps in 3D.

tygeezy wrote:Is there any noticeable input lag when you play with 3D vision?
It depends. I always play with adaptive vsync enabled, so I feel that shooters have less input lag at 120fps in 2D compared to 60fps in 3D.
tygeezy wrote:How long of gaming session are you able to do? I've seen people say an hour and give yourself a break. I'm not sure about this advice because movies tend to be between 1 and a half and two and half hours. Perhaps playing is a little more stressful on the eyes than simply watching.
All the time I want. Even 6 or 8 hours with no problem (eh, I have to eat :p). The glasses are a bit uncomfortable for my nose, but it's totally worth it.
tygeezy wrote:Finally, are there any deals out there for it? Seeing as how nobody is really excited over the 3d tech anymore with VR coming around. I see it for 150 on amazon.
That's a normal price. It's very hard to find it cheaper and new. It cost me 125€ three years ago, but that was a great exception. I always see it at 150€ or a bit more.
tygeezy wrote:I actually got this monitor refurbished for 238 dollars. A pretty killer deal if you ask me. So far i haven't spotted any dead pixels and the monitor looks amazing after some calibration.
OMG! Unbelievable. The normal price is over 500€ last time I looked.

Really, 3D Vision 2 is great. The monitor screen turns into a window where things can come to your face or at a distance inside, with far away things going into the infinite. Another thing I like is that I have myopia, so I need glasses in real life to look at distant objects, but I don't need them for 3D Vision 2, because the monitor is near me even if I'm looking at many meters away.

If you need more help about configuring 3D when you buy it, ask me if you want.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 04 Mar 2016, 17:50

masterotaku wrote:Sorry for the late response, but here it goes.

Not exactly. 3D Vision 2 uses Lightboost, which is a blur reduction method very similar to ULMB. You can use it at 120Hz and 100Hz. Persistence is 1.4ms at the lowest point (10%, don't turn it down one step more). It will be automatic when you boot a game.
Ahh okay, this makes sense.
masterotaku wrote: For the GPU, 60fps (per eye) in 3D is more or less like 120fps in 2D (some games are less demanding in 3D while others aren't). For the CPU, 60fps in 3D can be a lot less demanding than 120fps in 3D. In some CPU limited games I had like 90fps in 2D because of the CPU, but 60fps in 3D.
My CPU would be a little on the weaker side. This is a first generation i7 that is only really stable at 3.2 ghz these days. I haven't had any issues with it running any moderns games however.

masterotaku wrote: It depends. I always play with adaptive vsync enabled, so I feel that shooters have less input lag at 120fps in 2D compared to 60fps in 3D.
A little trick I used which reduced input lag quite heavily was capping my framerate at my refresh rate(it was 60 on my old monitor). When I tried using adaptive vsync along with the my 60 fps cap I found that vsync was never initializing. My fps would be like 59.9 and I would be getting screen tears. Without the framerate cap and vsync enabled the input lag would be too much for me. Setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia control panel also reduced input lag for me.[/quote]

masterotaku wrote: All the time I want. Even 6 or 8 hours with no problem (eh, I have to eat :p). The glasses are a bit uncomfortable for my nose, but it's totally worth it.
That's good to hear. I have read mixed results from people regarding eyestrain.
masterotaku wrote:
OMG! Unbelievable. The normal price is over 500€ last time I looked.

Really, 3D Vision 2 is great. The monitor screen turns into a window where things can come to your face or at a distance inside, with far away things going into the infinite. Another thing I like is that I have myopia, so I need glasses in real life to look at distant objects, but I don't need them for 3D Vision 2, because the monitor is near me even if I'm looking at many meters away.

If you need more help about configuring 3D when you buy it, ask me if you want.
I know right? The guy had 1 more and I was trying to get any one of my friends to buy it, but they passed. Such an incredible deal for this amazing monitor. Thanks for answering all my questions.