Using Mstar Microcontroller WILL VOID WARRANTY!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
edeka3

Using Mstar Microcontroller WILL VOID WARRANTY!

Post by edeka3 » 15 Feb 2016, 08:30

Hi there! After doing some research contacting the BenQ Support, they told me that using the official Mstar microcontroller (mentioned in the guide here) to upgrade the firmware WILL void the warranty (even if it is successful) - the monetary risk is too high for them. According to the Support, even the people at BenQ and their service partners sometimes mess up flashing and have to exchange the whole system board (meaning a wrong flash would cause a total loss). So, the only option that won't void the warranty is either buy an already upgraded Monitor or send it to BenQ...

UNLESS you are a Progamer playing in a League like ESL etc, which would mean there are other ways to get your hands on an updated Monitor or might get a technician to update it in your place.

If you have any questions, please post below. I am still in contact trying to get my update :)!

Greets

Falkentyne

Re: Using Mstar Microcontroller WILL VOID WARRANTY!

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Feb 2016, 14:53

Why are you spreading apocalypse rumors like this?
If this were true, how come I *flashed a Benq XL2720Z firmware* into an **ASUS VG248QE**, bricked the monitor hard and completely, then reflashed the backup I made of the VG beforehand, and the VG248QE came right up and worked perfectly?

What's with the fear?
If the Mstar ISP device would fail, then the monitor is probably doomed anyway.

edeka3

Post by edeka3 » 16 Feb 2016, 07:38

Falkentyne wrote:Why are you spreading apocalypse rumors like this?
If this were true, how come I *flashed a Benq XL2720Z firmware* into an **ASUS VG248QE**, bricked the monitor hard and completely, then reflashed the backup I made of the VG beforehand, and the VG248QE came right up and worked perfectly?

What's with the fear?
If the Mstar ISP device would fail, then the monitor is probably doomed anyway.
Not my stance, it's BenQ's. I can send you the screenshots of the conversation, if you need proof

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 16 Feb 2016, 08:36

Didn't the Benqs give us the firmware? what were we supposed to do with it if we can't flash em?

Seems silly.

edeka3

Post by edeka3 » 16 Feb 2016, 08:40

lexlazootin wrote:Didn't the Benqs give us the firmware? what were we supposed to do with it if we can't flash em?

Seems silly.
They officialy give out V2 of the firmware, everything else is from Betas etc. When you try to download v2, you get the following disclaimer:

Disclaimer

The firmware is the property of BenQ Corporation and is offered for the purpose of engineering and testing only. Any modification to the firmware, or any use of the firmware not for the said purpose, is strictly prohibited.

Unexpected monitor issues may occur when using the firmware. Please consider these risks before installation as warranties may not be valid in the event of monitor malfunction as a result of updating and/or using the firmware.

(http://gaming.benq.com/downloads)

---

I just wanted to inform you that the support told me that, even if the update is successful, warranty may not be granted.

Here is the answer from BenQ:

Vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage. Für Geräte die am Europäischen Markt verkauft wurden sind leider andere Maßstäbe als etwa auf dem US Markt.

In Europa hat die Erfahrung gezeigt das ein signifikantes FW Update daheim in überwiegenden Anteil aller Fälle zu einem Schaden der Systemplatine führt. Daher ist dies generell nicht mehr möglich - das finanzielle Risiko ist leider nicht vertretbar. Dies hat im Übrigen mittleierweile nichts mehr mit der Bildung des Kunden zu tun, sondern hat mittlerweile ein IP Schutz als Grundgedanken. Daher wäre so ein Upgrade für uns ein verletzen der Garantiebedingungen - in den Staaten übrigens auch.

In english (free translation):

Thank you for your request. Devices sold on the European market are treated differently than those from e.g. the US.

In Europe, experience shows that, in an overwhelming amount of cases, a significant FW update at home leads to damaging of the system board. Therefore, this is generally not possible - the financial risk is not tenable. This is not due to the technical knowledge of the customer, but foremost due to IP security. That is why that kind of upgrade would violate our warranty conditions - the same applies to the United States.