XL2720Z Owners ROLL CALL -- possible strobe issue workaround

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

XL2720Z Owners ROLL CALL -- possible strobe issue workaround

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2014, 12:29

Mark Rejhon wrote:UPDATE:
Blur Busters Strobe Utility app is now available.
http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility/
It can eliminate the artifact visibility by 90%.
Mark Rejhon wrote:UPDATE:
Better Instructions for Vertical Total 1350
This supersedes this post.
--- older, outdated original post below ---

It can fix 90% of the the issue.

Hello,

Calling all XL2720Z owners. You are aware of the issue I publicly reported in early January.
I'd like to do some Custom Resolution Utility experiements.

1. Switch to 120Hz and enable BENQ Blur Reduction
2. View http://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=alien-invasion.png with Height->Full Screen in a stutterfree browser.
3. During full Screen mode, observe the major double image effect problem for the full screen width, just below screen center.
(noticeable in games during panning/strafing/turning at triple-digit frame rates).
4. Open NVIDIA Custom Resolution (or ToastyX CRU), change Auto->Manual, then change Vertical Total to "1350"
5. View http://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=alien-invasion.png again with Height->Full Screen in a stutterfree browser.
6. There may be less strobe crosstalk now (center becomes much clearer, a small amount of crosstalk at top/bottom edge)

Please confirm if this temporary fix works adequately for you. The goal of a 1350 Vertcal Total is to force faster panel refreshing, with longer pauses (bigger blanking interval) between refresh cycles, to allow a more fully refreshed panel before strobing.

I am not sure if this works on unmodified XL2720Z's but I would like to hear from people who try this out.

IMPORTANT: Do not install ToastyX Strobelight. Install ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility. (ToastyX has multiple apps)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2720Z Owners ROLL CALL -- possible strobe bug workarou

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2014, 13:44

Before:

Excessive strobe crosstalk (double-image effect) below center of screen.
The issue is easily seen in games when playing 100fps+ during horizontal panning/turning/strafing.

After:

Far less strobe crosstalk, only some fainter crosstalk at top/bottom edges.
The issue is hopefully largely fixed and you can better enjoy games at 100fps+.

Please test this and post back!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bac0nsamm1ch

Re: XL2720Z Owners ROLL CALL -- possible strobe issue workar

Post by Bac0nsamm1ch » 02 Feb 2014, 14:55

I ordered the xl2720z on January 29th, picked overnight shipping and got it on the 31st. It apparently shipped with the bugged firmware still because mine suffers from this as well. I tried the workaround fix here and it did not do anything. It still has the excessive strobe crosstalk. I guess I am going to need to contact benq and ship it back...Kind of upset that they would release one in that state still.

EDIT: I called Benq today and they said they would send me out a updated firmware monitor and then I will need to send back the old one when it arrives. So its not as painful of a process as it first seemed, the monitor works fine when its not in blur reduction mode so it is good until the new one arrives.

LogicElite

Post by LogicElite » 07 Feb 2014, 12:56

I will try it as soon I get back home. Thanks again chief!

Update: Just tried it.. no luck. There is no significant improvement. However, I noticed that the UFOs look a bit more clear on the top of the screen but they are worst on the bottom. I've not tried with ToastyX CRU though.

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 12 Feb 2014, 02:49

Trying to do this on the xl2420z, but the toasty X app won't recognize the monitor and I have an amd card.

impulse

Post by impulse » 12 Feb 2014, 13:46

I purchased the xl27 last week, received it yesterday. My fw version is v001, it seems to suffer from the strobe crosstalk also. Is this the same firmware as everyone that purchased earlier? I waited till they came back in stock on benq store figuring they would have updated firmware. I didnt have a chance to try the toastyx fix, Ill give it a shot later tonight. This monitor is amazing, i regularly use the sony GDM21(21inch version of fw900), and hp zr24w. The motion clarity when you look around in bf4 is unlike anything ive seen on lcd.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Feb 2014, 14:37

impulse wrote:The motion clarity when you look around in bf4 is unlike anything ive seen on lcd.
Yeah -- for someone who has never seen CRT motion clarity on an LCD before, even seeing the worst can still look impressive.
It'll become much better once the new firmware is released.

I have all four major brands of strobe backlights here (BENQ XL2720Z Blur Reduction, ASUS VG248QE GSYNC's ULMB, BENQ XL2411T's LightBoost, and EIZO FG2421's Turbo240), and the currently bugged Z-series is my least favourite (worst), but the fixed firmware when combined with a Blur Busters strobelength/strobephase manual adjustment utility (coming soon), it leaps ahead quite a bit.

impulse

Post by impulse » 12 Feb 2014, 15:32

Thanks for the update, I'm really looking forward to the utility/firmware. Great site btw a lot of useful info.

Mouzuone

Post by Mouzuone » 13 Feb 2014, 08:17

I tried to do your workaround, but toastyX keeps on incrementing for ever and won't start.
GC: GTX650Ti and I deleted the old profile for the 2411t.

impulse

Post by impulse » 13 Feb 2014, 11:33

Just a follow up, I tried the work around and it helped move the strobelight ghosting down to the lower portion of the screen. It did help but there is still a shadow behind all the aliens, and on the lower 1/4th of the screen the aliens ship is smeared forward and backward in some spots. Will wait for firmware