BenQ XL2411Z - Just can't get it to look OK, let alone good

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
HenryCoe

BenQ XL2411Z - Just can't get it to look OK, let alone good

Post by HenryCoe » 15 Mar 2016, 20:20

Recently purchased this monitor to put alongside my old 120Hz XL2410T for dual monitors.

The XL2410T as far as I am aware doesn't have the newer blur reduction/lightboost tech which was my reason for upgrading as well as wanting a dual screen setup again.

As expected the XL2411Z looked horrible out of the box and I have followed many a guide to set it up and fiddled endlessly with the OSD settings. I will list my changes below and would appreciate anyone who can pick some holes in them or see if Iv'e gone wrong somewhere. Currently my XL2410T looks far far far! superior in terms of colours, and in game it is LESS blurry than the XL2411Z. However, in the moving picture test the 11Z is far superior. :/ I'm thinking perhaps games look worse due to ghosting? Anyway changes below:

Picture Profile: Standard
R95 G92 B97
Brightness 50
Contrast 40
Sharpness 5
Gamma 5
Blur Reduction ON

Toasty CRU 1920x1080@120Hz
Front Porch 48 - 3
Sync Width 32 - 5
Back Porch 80 - 262
Blanking 160 - 270
Total 2080 - 1350

Blur Busters Strobe Utility:
Persistence 2.0ms
Crosstalk - Far Left Slider (Earlier Strobe Phase)

Colour management profile:
I have switched back and forth from a custom profile for the 20Z panel and the default 11Z profile. Honestly I don't get on with either, but for me the default was better, hence the lower brightness settings.

So using these settings and trying it on both colour *.icm profiles. The screen just looks awful compared to my old 10T which is much clearer and richer. The 11Z just looks like its washed out and has a white sheen on the Blizzard games I play.

It also blurs, an example was I ran 2 instances of Diablo 3 one on each screen. Making loot text show and walking left to right its harder to read the text on the 11Z. But as mentioned before the moving picture test is way sharper on the 11Z then the 10T.

Any suggestions welcome, otherwise this thing is going back in the box and an ASUS shall be purchased.

Many thanks,
Henry.

Edit: forgot to mention that the pixel clock patch has been applied and the CRU confirmed as working because the monitor is reporting 60Hz in the OSD.
Last edited by HenryCoe on 16 Mar 2016, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2411Z - Just can't get it to look OK, let alone g

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Mar 2016, 04:21

Try enabling blur reduction to on, then after its enabled, set the AMA setting to high and see if that improves anything.
If its already on high, move the slider to another setting and set it back to high.

If that helps, any change you make to brightness or any strobe setting, refresh rate change or picture mode/display mode change will instantly revert the AMA (changing contrast or gamma or black equalizer will not).

HenryCoe

Post by HenryCoe » 16 Mar 2016, 09:52

AMA has no effect on the white washed colours which is what is annoying me the most. Screen just looks awful :(

HenryCoe

Post by HenryCoe » 16 Mar 2016, 10:40

Given up for now. Switched to Picture mode: Photo. This apparently can't have blur reduction but at least the screen looks somewhat decent.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 17 Mar 2016, 02:12

If you're talking about colour you want to be changing your settings to something neutral.

I believe neutral for that monitor is:
Brightness: 50 (Doesn't matter too much)
Contrast: 50
Preset: Standard
Colour temp: User (100, 100, 100)
Gamma: 3
Sharpness: 1 (or whatever off is)
AMA: high

But because benq is crazy i can never be too sure so you can use test images like the ones on this site too make any adjustment necessary to individual colours or gamma levels.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

Hope that helps.

HenryCoe

Post by HenryCoe » 17 Mar 2016, 08:54

Thanks I will give those tests a go and fiddle with the settings some more.

However, when using Standard picture mode, no matter what the settings, the picture looks white washed and faded compared to my 10T even with Blur reduction OFF. Will try using the tests linked to see if I can make it better.

Cheers.

HenryCoe

Post by HenryCoe » 17 Mar 2016, 11:28

Setup using the tests but to no avail. Just looks white washed and faded. So have gone back to picture mode: Photo and adjusted the OSD as best I can.

Still not happy with either setting, and cannot use blur reduction which was the whole point in purchasing. Oh well lesson learned, will save up for a more expensive IPS screen one of these days. Bit of a shame though seeing how my 10T has served me well all these years.

Thanks for the input.
Henry.