XL2720z, Win7, Display Pilot = dark screen with blur reduc.

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
solidOz

Re: XL2720z, Win7, Display Pilot = dark screen with blur red

Post by solidOz » 30 Mar 2016, 10:01

At 1497 it's 359.4597.

With 1485 I do get an out of range error, the screen is black tho I can't see anything and have to wait until it reverts back.
I'm using Nvidia control panel.

Maybe the issue is because I don't have any drivers for the screen? The monitor is recognized as PnP-Monitor, the Blur Buster Utility Tool isn't working because of that either. I tried the Display Pilot in hopes it would install the drivers but that didn't go so well. Win10 found the drivers on it's own easily, Win7 is a little more probelmatic. I need to stay on Win7 for a while before I go back to 10.

I can't tell you if it was 6bpc on Win10, I didn't know about the 6&8 bpc until I swapped over and had to look a little deeper into stuff trying to fix what Display Pilot broke. I didn't use any patcher either, if I recall correctly it stated if I use displayport I don't need to.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Mar 2016, 11:32

Please try ToastyX CRU instead of the Nvidia control panel with VT 1499.

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 01 Apr 2016, 00:39

How do I know if it worked?

I used CRU with these settings:
Active : 1920, 1080
Front: 48, 3
Sync: 32, 5
Back porch: automatic fill in
sync width: automatic fill in
Horizontal Total : 2080
Vertical Total : 1144
Refresh : 120hz
Horizontal khz: automatic fill In
Pixel clock: automatic fill in

I put this in detailed resolution, and also put it in Custom Extension block.

I then used restart64 and the picture got brighter as it should. (I feel like it's brighter than before, could be wrong tho since I deleted the one in the Nvidia Control Panel before I set up CRU messing with my perception since it got darker before it got brighter again.)
The monitor is saying I'm using 1080p 60hz.

The control panel says 8bpc, but also 60hz, if I can't trust the 60hz to be correct, how do I know 8bpc is?
Ufotest says 60hz aswel.
I downloaded CS:GO, set VSYNC On, and see there, I have 60fps. I guess it's actually not 120hz even tho it's 120 in CRU -_-

After all of this, I went back to CRU and deleted everything under standard resolutions.
Press reset-> 1280x1024@75hz

Somehow he's not using my custom ones, but it makes no sense since the screen did get brighter.

Unticking everything under Established resolutions-> reset64->Monitor lost signal and stayed black.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Apr 2016, 01:32

Did you read any of my links or pages? This was already clearly explained for you and answered in links I posted.

Monitor reports 60hz when the VT tweak is working. VT tweaks run out of specification cause the strobe width to "revert" to 60hz pulse widths (0.167ms per strobe width (Strobe duty). 0.167 x 100 = 16.7ms (which is the response time for 60hz refresh rate).

Using the Nvidia control panel to set VT Tweaks can cause bizarre/inconsistent results. One person (monitor_butt) had headache inducing dizziness and lag from using the Nvidia CP to set VT 1500, and a strange ghosting effect. When he switched to ToastyX CRU, all his dizziness and bizarre display irregularities went away and he was happy.

Another user was able to use the same type of bugs in the Nvidia CP to set an "invalid" 180hz refresh rate with the Benq. The video card and TestUFO/browser "Acted" and showed like it was 180hz, and synched as if it was 180hz. the monitor itself was at 144hz. This caused very nasty artifacts and stuttering because the video card was trying to run at a refresh rate different than the physical monitor. When he switched to ToastYX, anything above 145hz correctly reported "Out of Range", as it should.

8bpc isn't in the monitor. it's in the video card drivers. That means it's working. you can ALWAYS trust the video card drivers. That's why the video card reports the correct refresh rate. The monitor doesn't.

Always use ToastyX CRU. Never use the Nvidia control panel.
Last edited by Falkentyne on 01 Apr 2016, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 01 Apr 2016, 01:35

The Nvidia Panel says 60hz, vertical sync says 60fps, ufo says 60hz.
Just toasty says 120, or rather, toasty has 120 bcause I wrote 120 in it, it's not exactly reporting back.
Also when I delete everything else while leaving the VT Tweak on CRU my screen loses it's signal and stays black.

What exactly is telling me it's 120hz?
Last edited by solidOz on 01 Apr 2016, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Apr 2016, 01:37

Um...I don't know what you did.
Did you reboot?
I don't use an Nvidia card. I can't directly help with Nvidia issues. I thought you said the windows drivers reported 120hz. Sorry.

The monitor will always report 60hz when a VT tweak is active. Mentioned right here:
http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/BenQ_XL2411Z
. It is not fully clear yet, whether at all or in how far the image quality depends on the sync timings. It should be noted though, that whenever the monitor timing deviates too much from any standard timing – which is clearly the case for the timings mentioned here –, the monitor adopts the 60 Hz backlight pulse widths. This is somewhat problematic as it allows to choose pulse durations which could shorten the lifetime of the LEDs. At 120 Hz, for example, the pulse width can be set to 5 ms, which is the intended maximum for 60 Hz though and, thus, pushes the average LED current at 120 Hz way beyond the limit considered safe by the manufacturer. Moreover, the tweaked monitor timings might not work at all (i.e., black screen) if the value for the pulse phase is too high. So, know what you are doing!
Might want to remove all custom refresh rates you set in the Nvidia CP. run "Reset-all.exe" in toastyX CRU. restart the driver, then add the custom resolutions in Toastyx CRU. That's all I can tell you. I can't give technical support for Nvidia. I use AMD.

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 01 Apr 2016, 01:46

I tried reset-all, and set up everything again.
For some reason, if I do it with toasty my hz goes down to 60. It stays at 120 if I do it over the Nvidia Control Panel but then I get 6bpc.

Strange things, the screen does get brighter so it does work to a degree.

Toasty is more likely taking one of the other resolutions because if I delete/untick everything in there and only leave the VT Tweak the screen loses it's signal. Meh, thanks for your help, I guess I will stay at 6bpc or not use the Tweak.
Maybe 8bpc doesn't work with that Tweak+Nvidia, there must be a reason why I lose my signal when I force it over Toasty or why I'm stuck at 6bpc when I use the Nvidia Panel.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Apr 2016, 07:32

Oh yeah I forgot,
Make sure you read the monitortests / toastyX readme and the website for making custom resolutions on the Nvidia video cards, in ToastyX CRU. There's some extra stuff you have to do for extension blocks. Those steps aren't necessary on AMD.

If the screen gets brighter then the VT tweak definitely worked. Make sure you run TestUFO test with HW acceleration +Aero enabled (use chrome, not internet explorer) and check the FPS. That should report correctly.