XL2720z, Win7, Display Pilot = dark screen with blur reduc.

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
solidOz

XL2720z, Win7, Display Pilot = dark screen with blur reduc.

Post by solidOz » 28 Mar 2016, 21:06

Hi

BenQ XL2720z Firmware V5

I don't know where to go with this, so I decided to post it in here.
Yesterday I installed Windows 7, and ran into a couple issues:

Blur Buster Strobe Utility Tool is not detecting my monitor.

I searched for drivers but I didn't find any, the screen is recognized as a PnP-Monitor.
During my search I found a program on the BenQ site called Display Pilot. I was in hope this would solve my issue, but man was I wrong.

After installing BenQ Display Pilot my screen got very bright, it changed all the settings I had = turned Blur Reduction off. I'm using VT tweaks. My first go to solution for this was to simply try to enable Blur Reduction again.

To my horror, the screen get's insanely dark when I enable Blur Reduction. It's so dark I can't do anything with the screen, it's not black tho, I can still barely make up the edges of the open windows I have. When I turn it off again, the screen goes back to it's very bright state. I should also mention, the OSD menu get's dark too. I can't read it at all if I activate Blur Reduction, luckily that remote control thingy from the screen allows me to change profiles with the 1 2 3 buttons.

I tried uninstalling Display Pilot, I tried Windows Recovery, nothing works. I have no idea how to google this problem since all I get are official BenQ stuff and no one with this issue. This stupid *** program messed up my entire screen.

Can someone please help me out? How can I revert everything Display Pilot did? I don't know what caused it, maybe it installed wrong drivers? I also uninstalled the drivers over the win device manager. I tried to revert the settings over the monitor OSD aswel, nothing helps.

I'm so frustrated, instead of getting better everything went for the worse.

Edit:

I found out the issue why everything went black with Blur Reduction. I had to delete the custom resolution I was using, for some reason the VT Tweaked resolution isn't working properly anymore. The moment I try to set it up again, the screen goes dark with Blur Reduction on. In essence, I can't use the VT Tweak anymore, and the picture looks worse than before when I do the Ufo test...

Still struggling to revert everything Display Pilot did, and also, the Display Drivers for my XL2720z so I can use Blur Buster Strobe Utility Tool.

I downgraded from Win10 to Win7 bcause I had performance issues with a game, I had literally 0 issues on Win10 when it comes to my screen. (It worked for the game, but created problems with my screen =()

The picture on this one was clean: http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... 0&height=0

Now the ufo is really black/dirty, very bold colors, it's really awful. WHY the fk would they make a program like that and not give you any option to revert the shit it changes.

lexlazootin

Re: XL2720z, Win7, Display Pilot = dark screen with blur red

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2016, 22:20

Make sure you have the strobe phase all the way too the left before switching too BR. This can be done in the BlurBuster Utility or the Benq service menu. I would check both just too make sure.

Your monitor might just not support the VT tweak? Check this thread and ctrl+f 'black screen' and maybe you can see what other people have figured out :)

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=560

Also in the MonitorPilot just set colour too standard and just make everything neutral and everything should be fine. It's funny because my monitors colours were completely borked before i installed the Pilot software and fixed them in there because the OSD didn't have enough options or presets to fix it.

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 29 Mar 2016, 06:14

I've said it worked fine properly before I installed the pilot.

Now after the pilot it doesn't, the VT Tweak darkens my screen by a crazy amount.
Win7 somehow does not recognize my screen as XL2720z and has no drivers for it, which only leaves me with the service menu.

I've played with all the settings inside the pilot aswel, trying to revert whatever it broke.

I really need to revert everything this program did, just to feel better about myself...
Removing the GPU Drivers with DDU didn't help either.

Service Page
HDMI HPD: On
DVI HPD: Off
Logo: On
Auto Power: On
Internet Cafe: Off
Strobe Duty: 020
Strobe phase: 100
Single strobe: Off

Edit:

If I ask for help I still try what you suggest tho, and look at that, it worked thank you.

I've set Strobe phase to 000, and Strobe duty to 009, and the VT tweak is working again.
Just for me tho, is there anything else this Pilot changed? I would love to revert it back.
Also, since I did those changes in the Service Menu, do I still get a benefit from the Utility tool? Or did I do what the tool does manually? I don't know how to get the drivers for my XL2720z, am I in a disadvantage because of it? <- I guess yes? Since drivers are important?
Last edited by solidOz on 29 Mar 2016, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Mar 2016, 06:40

You didn't say if you tried setting the strobe phase to 0 and Duty to something like 15 in the service menu.

Also have you tried opening Blur Busters Strobe Utility with admin?

You could try uninstalling the pilot software and replugging your monitor into a different slot of your GPU and/or monitor, ticking it into thinking it's a fresh monitor?

Undo all overclocks and run the reset-all.exe in custom resolution utility zip file.

Covering all bases too fix the Blur-Reduction problem.

Edit: Strobe phase: 100 Theres your problem :D i'm happy it's fixed, you posted that comment before i finnished mine :lol:

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 29 Mar 2016, 06:47

I didn't play with the Factory menu, not beeing able to use the Utility tool was kinda my way of saying I didn't/can't change those settings. My bad sorry :) The Pilot did change my Strobe to 100, it wasn't 100 before, that program is evil!

How about the driver issue, I can't find any drivers on the BenQ Site unless I'm blind.
While I'm at it, this came up aswel:

Falkentyne suggest this:
120hz: HT 2001, VT 1499 (Displayport input; reduced HT to keep 8 bpc over displayport)

I can't choose 8bpc in my Nvidia panel, it's only 6 when I use the VT Tweak.
I can choose 8bpc when I don't use VT Tweak, the moment I set up VT it changes to 6bpc

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1
During this, the Ufo does a weird little move, I really don't know how to describe it. I guess that is frame skipping? This behavior was not there before on Win10, could it be the missing drivers? So many questions :|

Edit2:
The strange behavior with the Ufos disappeared on it's own, I didn't change anything. Yay \o/

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Mar 2016, 07:23

> During this, the Ufo does a weird little move, I really don't know how to describe it. I guess that is frame skipping? This behavior was not there before on Win10, could it be the missing drivers? So many questions

This could be a bad problem :| Did you disable Aero in windows? Also have a gander at this test here:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

if you have frame skips with the green Valid* up then your monitor might not be stable with that overclock for whatever reason. But do try chrome as it hold the best result for me.

Also are the colours still pooped? i opened DisplayPilot and it broked mine again :lol: If you want you can copy the base settings i use (Pretty much neutral colours.)
https://youtu.be/BteQ59XycPs

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 29 Mar 2016, 07:40

No the colors got better, they look like before.
The only 2 issues left are 6bpc and missing driver.

I will never install the pilot again :P

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Mar 2016, 11:58

Are you using displayport or DVI?
Over DVI, there is no option to change bpc. DVI doesn't have bpc limitation. I see no mention of this. bpc can only be changed over displayport.

please check your pixel clock.
if its higher than 359.99 MHz, displayport will revert to 6 bpc. If you're using Nvidia, check the pixel clock of 2001 HT and 1499 VT

The values of 2001 HT and 1499 VT for 120hz (not needed at 100hz) are to keep 359.94 MHz pixel clock which uses 8 bpc on AMD.

Nvidia may give different ranges for pixel clock than AMD. If that number is 360.00 MHz or higher, try 1498 VT instead of 1499.
1497 VT is the lowest you can go, however some VT's will "frame skip" when changing resolution or activating a monitor setting. VT 1502 at 120hz is known to trigger this. VT 1500 and VT 1499 do not. I don't know if VT 1498 or VT 1497 are stable or not. I listed some VT tweaks I tested in my VT thread you can search for yourself.

solidOz

Post by solidOz » 29 Mar 2016, 20:51

I'm using displayport, a GTX970 with a pixel clock of 359.9399, HT2001, VT1499.

I tried 1498, it stayed at 6bpc. I'm not even sure if I notice any diffrence between 8 and 6.
Even with 1497 I can't choose 8, the only one I can choose is 6.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Mar 2016, 21:48

What was the pixel clock at 1497 VT?

You will get an out of range error, but the screen will still be visible. Try VT 1485 and see if it lets you switch from 6 to 8 bpc. It's unusable because of the OOR error however.

Are you using Toastyx CRU to do this or the Nvidia control panel?