Dynamic control of BenQ overdrive

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Bulletproof

Dynamic control of BenQ overdrive

Post by Bulletproof » 28 Jun 2016, 22:44

Has anyone considered dynamically controlling AMA overdrive? I see that Premium tends to show overshooting artifacts, but the overshoot artifacts depend on luminance of the image, meaning sometimes it will show alot and sometimes not. So why not create a utility that dynamically can adjust between Premium and High depending on an "error" threshold which is determinable by quantifying the luminance of the screen. Too much error, switch to high. Not very much error, switch to premium. Also, why is AMA not fine-tune adjustable on any panels? It's always 3 settings.

Falkentyne

Re: Dynamic control of BenQ overdrive

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Jun 2016, 01:49

I suggest you ask Benq that. None of us know. And what you're asking for is impossible.
You're best off using my AMA low toggle that I've explained about many times in other threads. that gives best results, and excellent results (with no drawbacks) if blur reduction is disabled.

Bulletproof

Post by Bulletproof » 29 Jun 2016, 11:49

I'm asking because Blur Busters does have a utility which can control strobe parameters through windows. Perhaps the AMA setting can be toggled in a similar way, but I don't know for sure. I don't think what I'm asking for is impossible. All I'm saying is that the AMA setting needs to changed based upon certain parameters. You could do this with your fingers by toggling the settings on the panel. The only problem with this is that it's slow and tedious and not quick enough. I'm not familiar with the low AMA setting. As far as I can tell, the consequence of the high setting is negligible. At low it must not offer much(?) Does not the Blur Reduction offer strobing? Strobing is a huge improvement. But if you can show me that the AMA low setting with blur reduction off is better than strobing combined with AMA high, I would be surprised.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Jun 2016, 13:49

Bulletproof wrote:I'm asking because Blur Busters does have a utility which can control strobe parameters through windows. Perhaps the AMA setting can be toggled in a similar way, but I don't know for sure. I don't think what I'm asking for is impossible. All I'm saying is that the AMA setting needs to changed based upon certain parameters. You could do this with your fingers by toggling the settings on the panel. The only problem with this is that it's slow and tedious and not quick enough. I'm not familiar with the low AMA setting. As far as I can tell, the consequence of the high setting is negligible. At low it must not offer much(?) Does not the Blur Reduction offer strobing? Strobing is a huge improvement. But if you can show me that the AMA low setting with blur reduction off is better than strobing combined with AMA high, I would be surprised.
The windows utility only controls what's in the service menu itself, meaning already user adjustable settings.
You can't control what the firmware doesn't allow.
You can use Soft MCCS also to control strobe settings, but they are called strange names like "Trapezoid" or something.
In SoftMCCS, only AMA settings are off, high, premium. Only 3.
Can't make more. That's why I said it's impossible. And useless to do it dynamically anyway.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 29 Jun 2016, 19:10

btw g-sync can do dynamic overdrive?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Jun 2016, 19:15

I have absolutely no idea, but rather certain (90%) of "no."
No one ever mentioned this.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 30 Jun 2016, 01:27

G-Sync AND Freesync both do dynamic overdrive, although most FreeSync monitors are not setup correctly or lack overdrive completely in Freesync mode.

Because most G-Sync monitors have to be 'verified' by Nvidia it's typically a lot more clean.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 30 Jun 2016, 03:26

lexlazootin wrote:G-Sync AND Freesync both do dynamic overdrive, although most FreeSync monitors are not setup correctly or lack overdrive completely in Freesync mode.
Can u please name models that lack overdrive completely in Freesync mode?
I know only one 144Hz monitor that have overdrive but haven't any overdrive control at all. It's Acer Predator GN246HL. May be most 144Hz TN models by Acer have no overdrive control?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 30 Jun 2016, 03:57

Q83Ia7ta wrote:Can u please name models that lack overdrive completely in Freesync mode?

I'm not too sure what monitors specifically but i know the BenQ XL2730Z didn't have it at one point.

"We have been tracking the differences between AMD’s FreeSync and Nvidia’s G-Sync for some time now. The launch of FreeSync-capable displays started out a bit shaky, as some features we took for granted went missing. The first round of FreeSync displays we reviewed came with non-functional overdrive when the display / GPU pipeline was operating in FreeSync mode."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/B ... rive-Fixed
Q83Ia7ta wrote:I know only one 144Hz monitor that have overdrive but haven't any overdrive control at all. It's Acer Predator GN246HL. May be most 144Hz TN models by Acer have no overdrive control?
Acer Predator GN246HL not having overdrive settings in the OSD isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it's setup correctly and don't need to be tweaked. Most Acer monitors have a "Off" "Normal" "Extreme" setting but i wouldn't know why that one doesn't.

Bulletproof

Post by Bulletproof » 30 Jun 2016, 11:36

Thanks for letting me know. So then it is possible for the current BenQ panels to do this. Either BenQ would have to implement this, or as Falentyne said, someone would have to implement it through DDI/CI (if it even allows it?). Honestly, I can't see why nVidia or Microsoft don't directly implement strobing into their drivers or into DirectX. nVidia started allowing graph based tweaking of voltage on their new GTX cards. It would be nice if you could just tweak the overdrive parameters like this. But if they are configured properly, I guess it wouldn't offer much. Unfortunately most G-SYNC or Freesync panels don't allow strobing to be enabled while they are on. The strobing IMO offers more than overdrive.