Help with BenQ XL2411Z

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Westify

Help with BenQ XL2411Z

Post by Westify » 04 Jul 2016, 12:21

Just purchased a new BenQ XL2411Z monitor and after enabling the blur reduction on the monitor OSD the brightness is way too dark.

The brightness is currently maxed on the "standard" preset but it's extremely dim. I've heard there's ways to increase the brightness through a strobe utility found here but I can't seem to figure out what to do.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Falkentyne

Re: Help with BenQ XL2411Z

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Jul 2016, 22:29

Hello there!
Please read my thread.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2590

This gives you all the tools you need to create the proper "tweaks" that won't be incompatible or cause strange scalar lag.
E.g., Do NOT use Vertical Total 1502 at 120hz. Use VT 1500 instead; it's more reliable.

But assuming you took your time to read my thread and also to read the other threads on "Vertical total tweaks", what you need is :
1) ToastyX Pixel Clock Patcher.
2) ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility (I do NOT use and can not help with ANY sort of Nvidia utility).

Run the clock patcher and you can use the driver restarter packaged with CRU (or just reboot your PC).
Then you need to create custom resolutions with Vertical Total tweaks.
VT tweaks will GREATLY reduce the amount of frame "Double images", also known as Strobe Crosstalk. Crosstalk is the blending of two separate frames into one frame, which usually occurs in a band at a section of the screen. By default, it is mostly at the bottom, but depending on your strobe settings, part of it may appear at the top, and can be adjusted by changing the "Strobe Phase."

Please note that the windows blur busters utility has the strobe phase description wrong. Earlier strobe phase is a HIGHER strobe phase value (To the right), meaning less input lag (down to 1 frame lower), and Later strobe phase is a lower strobe phase value (to the left), which can give less crosstalk at the bottom of the screen, but 1 frame higher input lag.

Anyway most of the time you will just want a 100hz and 120hz custom resolution.
Detailed resolution:

You can use these values on a XL2411Z:
1920x1080
front porch 48,3
sync width 32,5
Horizontal total: 2080 (do NOT use 2200; 2200 is for 60hz refresh rate only. using 2200 at 100hz and 120hz can lead to shimmering pixels as the scalar is processing wrong values).
Vertical Total: 1500.
Refresh rate: 100hz and 120hz

As far as extension blocks in CRU: read the forums, as Nvidia seems to handle this differently than AMD.
If you decide to use a "custom" extension block, you will need to add 144hz refresh rate manually:
1920x1080, LCD REDUCED timings
(1098 Vertical Total, 144hz).

For some reason, about 10% of the time, when using a custom 144hz resolution like this, you may get an "out of range" error when switching to 144hz, unless you reset the monitor. Not sure why. The "Default" 144hz resolution doesn't do this.

That should be enough to get you started.

For brightness, always keep brightness at 100 when using blur reduction.
Then change the STROBE DUTY to increase brightness (Persistence), but higher strobe duty will mean less blur reduction.
With a VT tweak, you can start with strobe duty =006 and then go up from there.

Also: The windows utility for persistence sliders are based on having the VT Tweak installed!!
If the VT Tweak is NOT installed, the windows slider only matches values at 60hz refresh rate.
The persistence values for different refresh rates WITHOUT a VT tweak are here:

http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/BenQ_XL2411Z

When using a VT Tweak, all persistence values are "forced" to the 60hz values (Even at 120hz) so strobe duty 006 will be 1.0ms persistence.

Hope this doesn't confuse you. I tried to explain things clearly and concisely.

WARNING: WHEN USING A VT TWEAK, MAXIMUM STROBE PHASE IS LIMITED BY REFRESH RATE.
This limit is: 059 strobe phase at 100hz, and 049 strobe phase at 120hz.

The windows utility is capped at 047 (I think) for this reason.

going higher will shut off the backlight, but you can turn off blur reduction from OSD buttons to get the backlight on again.