Trying 1440x1080 with large vertical totals

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
tgrk!?

Trying 1440x1080 with large vertical totals

Post by tgrk!? » 02 Jul 2017, 11:36

Hello friends.

I've been trying to use ingame/desktop 1440x1080@120hz VT 1500(Via both CRU and nvidia CP.) for a while now in order to use lightboost/benq's MBR, for CS:GO and other FPS games. Found the pixel clock patcher, tried it since i read on other threads that it's necessary in order to achieve custom VTs. My screen gets brighter and the screen doesnt go out of range, but. The OSD settings make a fool out of me and tell me that the setup is running at 60Hz(Works on VT 1125.).
Apart from that, the games do feel like 60 hz. I've tried the alien invasion test and the results look pretty good though - just on browser. So here comes the confusion and the many-months research and frustration. At some random points or playing, the player models will look AMAZING, FANTASTIC, and slow motion-like, and after a short time of period they go back to laggy - motion blured - fast poping infront of you. I honestly don't think that's just in my imagination or a placebo effect. I trully believe that I've setup everything correctly (apart from the pixel clock patcher that doesn't seem to work..?), but yet, the results aren't here.

SPECS
   |
  \ /
   v

Monitor: XL2411z v4, connected to GPU via DVI-D(Dual link).
GPU: GTX 970.
CPU: i7 6700k @4.0GHz.
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1900MHz.

Things I've tried:
1)Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #4: Advanced EDID Override Method.
2)MBR/1440x1080@120hz/High AMA(Falkentyne's trick)/Contrast 40.
3)Optimized Persistence and Crosstalk w/ BBSU.
4)Updated all my drivers of course.
5)Optimized my internet connection in many, many ways, to exclude the fact that what I see isn't a monitor/setup thing.

Possibly this is the wrong place for my post.. I thank any of you in advanced for any response on my matter..

My nvidia CP 3D settings look like this: http://imgur.com/a/WGqS1

-tgrk!?

lexlazootin

Re: I don't even know..

Post by lexlazootin » 02 Jul 2017, 11:54

A easy way of testing your refresh rate is to turn on V-Sync.

My guess is that the refresh rate is getting reset when you alt-tab, custom NVCP resolutions can do that. i recommend trying deleting all of you custom resolutions in NVCP and CRU and just have one in CRU with the refresh rate/setting that you want. I even have the standard resolutions gone because HL was giving me issues when i alt-tabbed.

tgrk!?

Post by tgrk!? » 02 Jul 2017, 12:24

lexlazootin wrote:A easy way of testing your refresh rate is to turn on V-Sync.

My guess is that the refresh rate is getting reset when you alt-tab, custom NVCP resolutions can do that. i recommend trying deleting all of you custom resolutions in NVCP and CRU and just have one in CRU with the refresh rate/setting that you want. I even have the standard resolutions gone because HL was giving me issues when i alt-tabbed.
To avoid having my refresh rate reset i am using the -freq 120 startup command. Aside that, i am currently using the same resolution/refresh rate so that i avoid any input lag from desktop to ingame. This is also the only custom resolution that i've got.

tgrk!?

Post by tgrk!? » 04 Jul 2017, 05:54

bumpin...
Anyone?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jul 2017, 07:20

You really haven't given us much to go on. "laggy - motion blured - fast poping infront of you" sounds like your refreshrate is resetting to a lower one. Change "Preferred refresh rate" to Highest Available.

If that doesn't work try deleting all your standard resolutions besides the highest one.

If you don't know the problem i'm not sure how we are supposed to know the solution.

tgrk!?

Post by tgrk!? » 04 Jul 2017, 10:25

That is actually true, my descreption of the problem isn't detailed as is should be, perhaps..
The only reason my refresh rate is set to application controlled is that (as i read in other threads) is the way to go with lightboost/MBR without blocking it..

I can state 2 problems for sure at this point:
1)1440x1080@120hz 1500VT doesn't return 120hz according to OSD, but screen gets brightened as one of its' effects. - Thats a pixel clock patcher problem as far as i've understood. Having patched it, doesn't seem to have worked.
2)Ingame looks like a dark (MBR) 60ish(?)hz gameplay - models aren't so blurry i guess, but their "speed" in as how fast then peek me from a corner, is really similar to 60hz.

I tend to believe that the 2 problems that i am stating above, are actually the "problem" and its' cause. As far as i know VT 1500 removes a lot of ghosting. So in my case while on 1440x1080@120 VT1500(nvcp), the actual resolution doesn't agree with the one on my OSD (same res but 60hz), so i am playing on 60hz with VT1500 which is like, a better 60hz version(?), OR when i am playing 1440x1080@120 VT1125, all the resolutions meet, but im losing the VT1500 +brightness and -ghosting, which is like a MBR 120hz that looks like 60hz to me?

I really think that the problem is patching the nvidia pixel clock. If that worked correctly, when using VT1500 the OSD would't show me 60hz. I really don't know.

Opinions?

-tgrk!?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jul 2017, 11:09

I'm pretty sure the monitor uses VT to determine what refresh it is using so it might be confused and saying 60hz. If your monitor changes refresh rate and doesn't say "out of sync" when selecting the refresh rate then it's fine. Does it say 120fps on testufo.com?

Again, part 2 sounds like it's using 60hz. Have you tried turning on V-Sync to determine what refreshrate the game is using like i said?

Try creating the custom resolution in CRU and not NVCP.

tgrk!?

Post by tgrk!? » 04 Jul 2017, 11:44

lexlazootin wrote:I'm pretty sure the monitor uses VT to determine what refresh it is using so it might be confused and saying 60hz. If your monitor changes refresh rate and doesn't say "out of sync" when selecting the refresh rate then it's fine. Does it say 120fps on testufo.com?

Again, part 2 sounds like it's using 60hz. Have you tried turning on V-Sync to determine what refreshrate the game is using like i said?

Just tried using CRU and the results are the same.
I just used V-sync. It just looks like good quality 60 hz...

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jul 2017, 12:44

tgrk!? wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:I'm pretty sure the monitor uses VT to determine what refresh it is using so it might be confused and saying 60hz. If your monitor changes refresh rate and doesn't say "out of sync" when selecting the refresh rate then it's fine. Does it say 120fps on testufo.com?

Did you delete the custom resolution in NVCP?

have you tried deleting all the standard ones in CRU aswell?

tgrk!?

Post by tgrk!? » 04 Jul 2017, 14:39

lexlazootin wrote:
tgrk!? wrote:

Did you delete the custom resolution in NVCP?

have you tried deleting all the standard ones in CRU aswell?
Yeah all of em are gone...