Where find info/troobleshoot for BenQ2411Z Colors?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
HOLECHIEN87

Where find info/troobleshoot for BenQ2411Z Colors?

Post by HOLECHIEN87 » 07 Jul 2017, 22:43

Hello,

I may post on the wrong forum,
but i would like to know if someone know if there is any real solution to improve BenQ XL2411Z colors / images.

There is a ton of settings possible (with FPS1 Mode, FPS2 Mode, Photo Mode, Etc..) and different point of views (see youtube videos and reddit posts).

Some include you'r page https://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/ as a solution but on the page it appear that you are just giving tools to modify how the monitor delete motion blur.

Do some of you know if running that monitor at 120hz only help to have a better image?

If there is any solutions to adjust all the setting to a better end?

There is,

- Color calibration (with lines and square and a certains angle to see the monitor and adjust what you see to the best - not user friendly at all)

- Color calibrations settings (RGB managment)

-Gamma

-Thiness (or something like that)

- Luminosity

- Contrast

- Modes : (photos, fps, etc.. may just be each of them a special rgb/luminosity/gamma etc.. settings only, but maybe not).

My focus is to have a better image quality without loosing all the features for FPS games.

I don't know, maybe to do that reducing the refresh rate is a key. Maybe not.

To a final; TL;DR, I really don't know what are theses problems everybody are talking about that could be fix, too much informations, nothing precise. One real issue could be the brightness (too bright, or not enough, no good middle point) and I would love to fix it without loosing any of the FPS features (HZ, motion blur, etc, blue light for long gaming / time in front of the monitor, etc..)

Thanks.. (i'll update clearly with what i found later here. for now i need more real info)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Where find info/troobleshoot for BenQ2411Z Colors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jul 2017, 11:13

Welcome to Blur Busters!

Yes, Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility is only for improving motion blur on BenQ/Zowie gaming monitors -- that's the job of a separate colorimeter if you want to accurately calibrate color.

The TN panels of gaming monitors are extremely difficult to get good colors while keeping FPS features.

Raising gamma automatically ruins contrast/colors, and Blur Reduction has a mandatory light-reduction penalty, so there's a lot of tradeoffs to fight.

So sometimes it's a "pick-your-poison" battle!

There is, I'm afraid, no easy solution to "have cake and eat it too".

You can do better, by purchasing a colorimeter such as a Spyder or i1 Display/Pro or a ColorHug. This will get you to a certain point, but will not solve everything. Some of them even adjust your monitor automatically for you! (After initial hassle of configuring a new computer accessory, then it can become as simple as putting the colorimeter on your screen -- and then pressing a button -- and waiting several minutes while it scans color & adjusts for you).

But remember, they can only do so much, given TN panel limitations found in many fast gaming monitors. They are not a magic pill, and may only help desktop color.

You'll want profiles to get good colors in your Windows Desktop, while keeping your FPS gamma settings for certain games. Switching automatically between picture settings upon launching a game.

If you don't need to stick to TN for the fastest competitive speed, then there's also IPS and VA options too (with different tradeoffs).

One idea is to get one of the 165Hz IPS monitors, found at Official List of Best Gaming Monitors -- this will produce much better colors. It may not have as good blur reduction as TN in terms of strobe crosstalk but it would have much better colors. Tradeoffs are different (IPS has slower pixel response than TN).

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Jul 2017, 11:37

Note that a colorimeter will not help in the majority of games. It only calibrates the Windows desktop by creating an ICC profile. ICC profiles don't work in most games, unless you run them in windowed mode.

There's some hacks/tools out there that try to enforce ICC profiles even in exclusive fullscreen games, but I have no experience with them.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

HOLECHIEN87

Post by HOLECHIEN87 » 08 Jul 2017, 18:05

RealNC wrote:Note that a colorimeter will not help in the majority of games. It only calibrates the Windows desktop by creating an ICC profile. ICC profiles don't work in most games, unless you run them in windowed mode.

There's some hacks/tools out there that try to enforce ICC profiles even in exclusive fullscreen games, but I have no experience with them.
Yeah i red you'r answer and his answer carefully. Nice to have some real info here. When i bought xl2411z i red a lot of post saying the color is horrible on it. But apparently it's really inside the same panel as xl2430 and others asus 24 tn 1080p 144hz.

Is it real that the intern color calibration is bad in the xl2411z and done better on the xl2430?

Is it real you can't do it by yourself?

Because with any tool, the only "seem really internal" feature in display plot benQ software for color calibration is not a RGB thing, but a system with rectangles which in you have squares, and you have, viewing you'r monitor at a certain angle, to adjust a scale to make the squares look all the same, forming a possibly perfect rectangle. So even if i have the best color tool on the market, i won't be able to do any calibration with it at this level.

For thoses who are interested, it looks like there is always in the scale a moment you catch, and with this moment + and - all go to a kind of worst "perfect rectangle (called line in the software)", and you kind need to aim like at the middle between + and -. It's not really clear because at this point it never look a perfect line and somehow this moment on the scale you catch doesn't really look better than if you put 0 on the scale.

I don't know if there is such as "intern color calibration" step for tn panels..

Anyway people tend to say that with you'r tool + some setting image get better.

Does image always get better when running at 120hz? or 120hz just help for stroble crosstalk calibration etc..

Usually videogamers like going into specs and for them this mean you improve you'r monitor. But it looks like it's just a pro & cons choice.

----

I did a glance at the 144hz list, and it looks like the best for me would be xl2430. BUT if it's just that XL2430 have a better calibration setup - that could be modified on xl2411z just by setting yourself you'r favorite RGB / gamma choice, there is no better tn panel for me on the market right now.

It looks like the improvment in high frequency monitor are pretty non existent since long time.

P.S. : You'r list is exactly the list of available monitor on EU/US market.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Jul 2017, 19:16

Yes, it is worse.
Low level color calibrations can NOT be adjusted by the user.
You want proof?

Set the color "Picture Mode" to RTS and look at the blues and the "Cyans".
Notice what color they look? (note: Cyan turns into teal in both FPS and RTS profiles).
Now, try to use the color RGB settings in the OSD to "Fix" Cyan and blue.

Even at RGB 100,100,100 you won't be able to fix it. Try it and see.

You won't be able to.
Browns also look reddish in FPS (not sure about RTS).

HOLECHIEN87

Post by HOLECHIEN87 » 08 Jul 2017, 21:11

Falkentyne wrote:Yes, it is worse.
Low level color calibrations can NOT be adjusted by the user.
You want proof?

Set the color "Picture Mode" to RTS and look at the blues and the "Cyans".
Notice what color they look? (note: Cyan turns into teal in both FPS and RTS profiles).
Now, try to use the color RGB settings in the OSD to "Fix" Cyan and blue.

Even at RGB 100,100,100 you won't be able to fix it. Try it and see.

You won't be able to.
Browns also look reddish in FPS (not sure about RTS).
i'll maybe. But also maybe theses colors can be fixed by software. I think in some videogames (maybe with source engine i don't know), you can also have you'r own RGB choice.

I don't know if correcting by software the bad calibration pretty most = same as intern color calibration (they are just colors, i still have rgb).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question would be what is intern color calibration, there's always the possibility to open the monitor motherboard and do it (not for me, but i would follow a guide if everybody valid). ?

Possibly BenQ did it on purpose, as a commercial action. Theses things are usual. But also, usually there some people who know (like you'r overclocking tools for some of really capable without damaging monitors) how to bypass them.

It does remember me some old school stuffs where brand made two "level" of electronic object and was just an internal setting.

It may be a lot of things. We don't know. The basic thing is that the panel IS the same.

EDIT : It's look like they added a few feature in the 2420, like saturation you can add on the screen menu (may be powered by the screen hardware). But I think it's the same panel