BenQ 2730Z setup for CSGO

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Monkey-47

BenQ 2730Z setup for CSGO

Post by Monkey-47 » 18 Aug 2017, 13:46

Hello all. I've had my BenQ 2730Z monitor for about a year now and while researching 240hz monitors came across this site. I feel I may not be getting all the right settings for my monitor to be optimized for CSGO. I have it set to it's native 2560x1440 @ 144hz. I run it in FPS 2 mode(not really sure if it's helping vs other modes). I have blur reduction off.

I'm not really sure how I came to these settings other than I did trial and error some settings off/on, but I didn't really know to much about what they really controlled other than the basic descriptions I could read up on. I was concerned with running blur reduction, #1 if I remember correctly it made the screen super dark and I had to crank gammas up to insane levels to be able to see models in CSGO; #2 I heard it could increase input lag in monitor???

I just want the best performance I can get out of this setup. If I can oc it to 165hz or something and people could point me to a correct guide I'd do that provided I won't nuke my monitor in short order. Any help is appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ 2730Z setup for CSGO

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2017, 16:13

Welcome to Blur Busters!

Blur reduction can add an extremely small amount of input lag (an average of half a refresh cycle on your monitor). Also, VSYNC OFF doesn't always look very good with strobing (strobing looks nicer with refresh-rate synchronized motion). It's a personal choice whether or not to use it for a specific game. For CS:GO, many competitive players tend to prefer turning off strobing and using extremely high frame rates instead. You're often just staring only at crosshairs. Blur reduction doesn't help with that, it only helps eye-tracking situations.

On the other hands, some games may force you to track eyes a lot more (e.g. Rocket League) where blur reduction can sometimes help you get a reaction time advantage (seeing motion clarity faster) that outweighs the minor lag of blur reduction. It's very gameplay tactic dependant.

Some models of monitors (e.g. Zowie XL2546) has extremely bright blur reduction. Specific models have backlight-boost technology that compensate for the dimness of strobe backlights.

Also, doing say, 100fps@240Hz has lower lag than 100fps@144Hz, so a 240Hz monitor isn't always completely useless at lower frame rates. Our GSYNC 101 tests showed that lag does improve even at the same frame rate, if the refresh went up -- that's because of the faster frame scanouts (e.g. 100fps frames are still converted to photons faster -- via 1/240sec scanout rather than 1/144sec scanout).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

davidjo

Re: BenQ 2730Z setup for CSGO

Post by davidjo » 29 Aug 2017, 01:25

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Welcome to Blur Busters!

Blur reduction can add an extremely small amount of input lag (an average of half a refresh cycle on your monitor). Also, VSYNC OFF doesn't always look very good with strobing (strobing looks nicer with refresh-rate synchronized motion). It's a personal choice whether or not to use it for a specific game. For CS:GO, many competitive players tend to prefer turning off strobing and using extremely high frame rates instead. You're often just staring only at crosshairs. Blur reduction doesn't help with that, it only helps eye-tracking situations.

On the other hands, some games may force you to track eyes a lot more (e.g. Rocket League) where blur reduction can sometimes help you get a reaction time advantage (seeing motion clarity faster) that outweighs the minor lag of blur reduction. It's very gameplay tactic dependant.

Some models of monitors (e.g. Zowie XL2546) has extremely bright blur reduction. Specific models have backlight-boost technology that compensate for the dimness of strobe backlights.

Also, doing say, 100fps@240Hz has lower lag than 100fps@144Hz, so a 240Hz monitor isn't always completely useless at lower frame rates. Our GSYNC 101 tests showed that lag does improve even at the same frame rate, if the refresh went up -- that's because of the faster frame scanouts (e.g. 100fps frames are still converted to photons faster -- via 1/240sec scanout rather than 1/144sec scanout).
Would you say then if im buying a 240hz monitor purely for csgo, then im better off with the xl 2540 over the xl2546 which only has dyac/motion blur reduction