Firmware version from packaging

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
golty

Firmware version from packaging

Post by golty » 09 Apr 2014, 09:39

Hello,

I bought the benQ xl2411z and of course it was using the v1 firmware. I contacted the place I bought it from and they would be happy to refund or exchange it for me. I did like certain aspects of the monitor but I do not want one which half works, the company are not sure if its possible to tell the firmware version from the packaging.

So here is my question, is there anyway to tell the firmware version from the packaging on this monitor?

Thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Firmware version from packaging

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2014, 10:35

I'm still amazed that BenQ hasn't recalled the defective monitors. Surely there's some law out there for this? I mean, you can't just sell broken equipment :-/

And even if there's no law, BenQ can't just continue to sell these in good conscience.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

golty

Post by golty » 09 Apr 2014, 10:47

ye its just ridiculous and causing me alot of hassle here, I was just checking out the labels on the packaging and I thought the revision number maybe related to the firmware?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2014, 10:59

RealNC wrote:I'm still amazed that BenQ hasn't recalled the defective monitors. Surely there's some law out there for this? I mean, you can't just sell broken equipment :-/
In BENQ's view, they aren't defective.
The artifacts were frustrating for some people like us, however, there's a good reason as I later discovered: They calibrated the strobe phase for minimum input lag, at the cost of motion artifacts (double image effect in bottom half).

Input lag is important for the competitive FPS gaming market that they are targetting. Of course, many of us would rather have perfect clarity while having 2ms extra lag. Version 2 now lets the user choose the strobe crosstalk setting, in a latency-versus-double-image-effect tradeoff.

BENQ will upgrade your monitor for free until April 30th 2014:
http://info.benq.us/blog/benq-america-c ... -utilities

The serial numbers to determine affected monitors are:
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/159104/file ... afd5abcbb2

If you want to purchase monitors that already have Version 2 firmware on them:
http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/v2-firmware-included/

You can also manually upgrade V1 monitors too:
http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-fir ... -z-series/

Ideally, version 2 should have been what was on all monitors, right from the beginning.
Now there fortunately are many ways to get version 2, to give the user the full control, the choice.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

golty

Post by golty » 09 Apr 2014, 12:52

I've decided to cancel my return, even with this problem its still a great monitor and its priced so much better than all the rest where I live. It was just too much to return so much.
I'm guna hope that maybe one day someone may find a fix with the v1 firmware

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2014, 14:04

golty wrote:I'm guna hope that maybe one day someone may find a fix with the v1 firmware
You can do it already: Upgrade V1 Firmware to V2

It is really easy to do if you order the prebuilt MSTAR ISP dongle rather than building it yourself. The MSTAR ISP is cheaper than shipping a computer monitor. Or buy a used MSTAR ISP from the buy/sell/trade thread. You might even eventually find someone who has the MSTAR ISP in the same country as you are in.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

golty

Post by golty » 09 Apr 2014, 14:16

The shipping on the return was free, but I know anyway that nearly all of the stock currently in the UK is using v1 firmware so there was no point returning it, its still a good monitor and ye I guess ill keep an eye for MSTAR kits in the UK.

Thanks for the help