XL2411Z V2, my findings so far [settings, VT1500 trick, etc]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: XL2411Z V2, my findings so far [settings, VT1500 trick,

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Mar 2015, 01:48

If it looks good there's nothing to worry about.
It's only when you get artifacts or stobe stuttering (jittering mouse cursor, etc) that you need to fix stuff.

Supernovav

Post by Supernovav » 19 Apr 2015, 20:49

Hey so is there any way to check if the VT1502 trick worked?

I just got the monitor XL2411Z the other day and am trying to get the most out of my monitor. I mostly play csgo so I'd want the fastest response time but I also care about being able to see things clearly
Am I able to have it like? http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/u ... ttings.jpg
When I use the UFO test, I can see it clearly but then I see like a clear/whitish trail behind.

janne907

Post by janne907 » 28 Apr 2015, 04:07

Is it possible to change between custom resolutions automatically when starting a game? I mean that normally i use 120hz/vt1502 but in GTA V i use 60hz. I have made custom resolution 60hz/vt1350 in nvidia control panel so is there any way to get this in use automatically when clicking the .exe? Currently i'm using normal in-game 60hz refresh rate and have made new profile to benq's menu which doesn't use blur reduction.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Apr 2015, 05:29

I don't understand what you are asking.
You said "You made a 60 hz 1350 VT custom resolution", but you want to use a 60 hz refresh rate WITHOUT blur reduction, while still having a 60 hz one WITH blur reduction?

Um...No you can't do that, at least not easily.
You can either have a saved profile in CRU for your 60 hz blur reduction setting and another saved profile for the default one, then just import the default one when you want normal 60 hz, and then use the toastyX Driver restarter to activate it without needing to reboot the PC (I do this a lot), which is the long way,

But I think you can try a 60.5 hz refresh rate without a VT Tweak.
Create a custom 60 hz resolution, change 60 hz value to 60.501 hz, and then save it.

After restarting the driver, the CCC should show 61 hz, but if you use it, it will still be 60 hz in actuality.
I don't know if this will work.
It DID work when we wanted a 120hz Lightboost resolution with a VT 1149, back in the old lightboost days, and if we wanted a 120hz without lightboost, adding a 120.5 hz resolution would show a 121 hz in the amd CCC, but selecting it would give you 120 hz without lightboost (Vsync on would show 120 hz instead of 121 hz).

So try 60.5 hz without a VT, and see if that works. That's the most I can suggest here.

janne907

Post by janne907 » 28 Apr 2015, 13:36

Sorry, it try to explain this again.

So, normally i have 120hz/vt1502 and blur reduction ON and this is looking very nice to me. When i start to play GTA (which i need to run 60hz because my GPU can't keep constant 120fps@very high settings) with these normal 120hz/vt1502 desktop settings my screen start flickering, i guess this is normal. So if i want to run this game at 60hz without changing refresh rate from nvidia control panel (and flickering screen), i need to disable blur reduction and for that i have made this new profile to benq's menu which have lower brightness and blur reduction OFF. If I want to keep blur reduction ON when using in-game 60hz refresh rate, i need to use 60hz/vt1350 custom resolution on desktop.

My main question was that is it possible to change between these two custom resolutions automatically when i start/end the game so that i could have blur reduction turned ON all the time? 120hz/vt1502-> Start game -> 60hz/vt1350 -> End game -> 120hz/vt1502 and blur reduction constantly ON. Thanks for your advice.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Apr 2015, 14:16

You can try Radeon Pro, but I don't know if it can do that. That's otherwise not possible if you can't do this through the AMD CCC as a game profile. You would need some sort of launcher/hotkey script that would do a resolution switch when an exe is loaded and then start the game then switch back ...sounds complicated.

victor123

Post by victor123 » 28 Apr 2015, 19:27

Hello,
Is there any way to increase the brightness when using low refresh rates like 80Hz? I already have the 1502VT tweak but in some games I feel like I need some more brightness.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Apr 2015, 19:34

Increase the strobe duty, although this will cause the strobe phase at the "Top" of the screen to drop downwards. A bizarre workaround for this, if you do NOT care about the BOTTOM of the screen, but DO care about the top of the screen, is, after unlocking the service menu (see the other posts on how to unlock it; its either button #1 or #2 held down with the power OFF, then power on while holding down the button!) to set the strobe duty to 010, then increase the strobe phase (in the service menu!) until the backlight shuts off, then, LOWER the strobe phase from the point the light turns back on (this is 0.167ms persistence), down by up to 10 values (which will then stop at the strobe duty value). You should never ever need a strobe duty value higher than 010 when using VT 1500/VT 1502. Or use the video card control panel (this will hurt image quality massively and/or cause improper white points or saturation).

victor123

Post by victor123 » 28 Apr 2015, 20:26

Thanks for answering, I got 2 questions about blur reduction:

1- Is there any difference in having BBR always activated? I mean in the windows desktop or watching movies or videos from youtube can you see the difference between BBR on or off?

2- Can I use use the custom resolution with the 1500VT tweak even If I'm not using BBR? Or it's recommended to use it only with BBR on?

I ask this questions because I mainly play CS:GO without blur reduction but In some games like GTA:V or others I like to use BBR and for me is more easier to have the BBR always OFF and only change my monitor profile to BBR ON when I'm gonna play GTA:V or any other game.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Apr 2015, 20:42

Um, the first answer is, why don't you test it for yourself? Your computer doesn't bite.....try it out and see if you like it or not. You already own the monitor, so I Think it would be much faster for you to try out these settings by yourself and see if it works for you, than waiting for a reply on forums (I'm a bit busy).

Second, Vertical total tweaks do nothing if blur reduction is off, as it's a tweak to increase the vertical blanking interval period from 0.5 ms to around 4 ms (that gives the screen more time to complete a pixel refresh (which in turn, lowers the amount of strobe crosstalk (NOT to be confused with AMA/ghosting/overdrive). However, since the blanking interval is increased when the resolution is active, the monitor is being run way out of specifications. The Benq was actually designed to accept vertical total tweaking, while an identical panel (the Asus VG248QE) will instantly black screen out of range at any VT over the end of the lightboost range (around VT 1200). that's because lightboost mode uses an LC panel update to accelerate the scanout, to help the panel do a refresh faster. It's basically the SAME Thing as the VT tweak except its done through the LC panel, but the actual effect is the same (you can see it if you enable lightboost mode at 100 hz refresh rate and test the crosstalk at the bottom area of the screen and compare it to VT 1500 blur reduction (Strobe phase 000):
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

However when using a VT tweak, the panel is run out of specification and the scaler itself gets confused and thinks another resolution is running. This causes the "Display mode" aspect ratios to not work correctly and causes "Aspect" to suddenly be selectable at 1920x1080, because due to the increase in VT, the internal scaler thinks the monitor is being run at 1280x1440.

Using a VT tweak can cause a strange scanlines effect on the desktop, particularly on light backgrounds, due to the panel being run out of designed limits. This causes NO effect on lifetime or durability, but some panels may have a very obvious scanlines effect while others may not. Lightboost mode pushes the scanout even harder than a VT 1502 tweak does, so the scanlines will be even more intense in lightboost mode. This varies from panel to panel.

If this is a problem for you, you can create a custom resolution without the VT tweak, which will be at the same refresh rate.
The trick to that is, to make the refresh rate a fraction. e.g. 100.500 hz at 1125 (default) vertical total, or 120.500 hz. This was a popular trick during the Lightboost days when people didn't want the ugly washed out contrast and purple tint and wanted LB disabled.