Firmware v1 + Trick1350-1502

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Firmware v1 + Trick1350-1502

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2014, 10:36

thizito wrote:It works without the software or need to have the utility with crosstalk ability?
It requires the utility for best performance.

Behind The Scenes: The purpose of the "Vertical Total" tricks is to enlarge the blanking interval between refresh cycles. The purpose of doing this is more time for LCD GtG pixel transitions to finish between refreshes, so that a strobe backlight can perform better (flash on fully refreshed frames, as LightBoost does, http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/video/ ...) Increasing the Vertical Total accelerate the refresh cycles (e.g. scan each refresh faster than 1/120sec) while increasing the pause between refreshes. LightBoost does this internally already (partially buffers input and then does accelerated scanout) so has very low strobe crosstalk. However, BENQ Blur Reduction doesn't do this.

What Is Visible: With the Utility, you are able to adjust the "Crosstalk" setting (strobe timing relative to refresh cycle) - so that the ghosting band moves upwards/downwards. The ghosting band (double image effect) exists because the backlight strobes in the middle of a refresh cycle. Earlier strobe timing results in very slightly less input lag (default ~1ms to ~2ms less), but can cause bad motion artifacts. With a larger Vertical Total, you are able to adjust the crosstalk setting, so that the ghosting band fits more fully offscreen (between refreshes) before bad crosstalk (double image effect) reappears at the top edge.
-- Small Vertical Totals, the ghosting band wraps around more quickly to the top edge.
-- Large Vertical Total, the ghosting band falls off the screen more before parts of it shows up again at the top edge.
Given a sufficiently large Vertical Total, and at a low enough refresh rate, the ghosting band completely fits offscreen between refresh cycles. VT1500 at 75Hz, creates a blanking interval of something north of 4 milliseconds, large enough to fit the majority of a 1ms LCD GtG transition between refreshes.

If you are anxious to try it on V1, you try to do this with V1, you might be able to get the ghosting band to shift slightly downwards, but won't be as good as calibrating with V2 firmware. Try low and high numbers for the Front Porch values (e.g. try a number of 240 for Front Porch). It may shift the ghosting band downwards by approximately 240 pixels. This may not noticeably improve things unless you're paying attention.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2014, 11:16

thizito wrote:Chief, not wanting you to waste time with me im sry, believe me you do 'A w e s o m e' work as always and might be busy.
Thanks for the compliment! I try my best.
thizito wrote:But, my max resolution is 1080p k? I always played with stretched-out non-native resolutions, enemys wider etc. My sweet spot is 1400x1050 or 1440x1080, which make it wider and enough pixels to make everything visible. What u think about that? Ill be suffering too much inputlag from stretching as monitor or vga?
There has been a lot of confusion about scaling -- letting the monitor scale versus letting the GPU scale. Sometimes there's more input lag, and sometimes there isn't. Due to this reason, I am unable to say something definitive about scaling.

However, there are two things that are useful to know:

(1) Use ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility to create a 1440x1080 resolution that's based off 1920x1080 timings. Use a large Horizontal Total (add 1920-1440 = add 480 to Horizontal Total, then add half that (240) to either Front Porch). This creates a 1920x1080 timing with 240 pixels blank left and right (480 total), so you've got a 1920x1080 signal that's pillarboxing a 1440x1080 signal. If your monitor successfully syncs to it, you've got zero scaling (zero GPU scaling, zero monitor scaling), and zero delta on latency. This has to be a true EDID, possibly on a Generic PnP monitor driver, because NVIDIA may try to scale the mode (against your wishes).

(2) As far as I know, BENQ Z-Series does real-time scaling (laglessly), so you can output a 1024x768 native signal, and it will scale without adding input lag. But that's only if the graphics drivers isn't doing GPU scaling.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Apr 2014, 01:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
thizito wrote:It works without the software or need to have the utility with crosstalk ability?
It requires the utility for best performance.

Behind The Scenes: The purpose of the "Vertical Total" tricks is to enlarge the blanking interval between refresh cycles. The purpose of doing this is more time for LCD GtG pixel transitions to finish between refreshes, so that a strobe backlight can perform better (flash on fully refreshed frames, as LightBoost does, http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/video/ ...) Increasing the Vertical Total accelerate the refresh cycles (e.g. scan each refresh faster than 1/120sec) while increasing the pause between refreshes. LightBoost does this internally already (partially buffers input and then does accelerated scanout) so has very low strobe crosstalk. However, BENQ Blur Reduction doesn't do this.
Chief:
If I may be so bold, why doesn't benq blur reduction do this?
Did they give you any reason why they had to omit this?

Would it have caused some other compromise? It seems like that would have been a no-brainer to implement....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Apr 2014, 07:51

Falkentyne wrote:Chief:
If I may be so bold, why doesn't benq blur reduction do this?
Did they give you any reason why they had to omit this?
Would it have caused some other compromise? It seems like that would have been a no-brainer to implement....
I'm not sure. Possibly some NVIDIA patent, or something similar.

Either way, the Vertical Total tricks is a host-side method of accelerating the scanout.

P.S. There may be an unexpected side effect. The Vertical Total method may actually be superior in terms of reducing input lag, because the transfer of image data is actually accelerated (higher dot clock for the same refresh rate) between the computer and the display. Although possibly by only an average of a millisecond or two. This will need to be tested.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Apr 2014, 08:26

I see. Can you try to ask them about it? (since Lightboost itself is also implemented in the panel); there has to be an interesting reason for that type of crosstalk omission. You never know. Because that is definitely an issue if you aren't using the Vtweaks. And hell, maybe a V3 firmware might be possible with the accelerated scanout from lightboost implemented for Blur reduction also.0