XL2720Z panel fault ?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Buchette

XL2720Z panel fault ?

Post by Buchette » 26 May 2020, 11:45

Hi, after 6 years of Duty a clear line of pixels appeared on the top of the screen. It's not that much visible on pure colors (pure Red, pure
Green, or pure Blue) but you can't miss it on shades. The issue is very visible on the left side, but almost not visible on the right side of the panel.

I opened it and checked for any loose connector, applied slight pressure on ribbons but not change on the display, seems OK.

So now, i just wonder if the panel is faulty at 100% or this issue can be caused by a logic board failure.

Apart this clear pixels line, everything works perfectly.

I'm almost sure it's the panel but since i'm not an expert, i have doubts. What is your guess ?

I just love this screen with the firmware updated and fine tuned, so i'm minding about getting a new AUO M270HTN01.0 panel but they are very expensive and hard to find.

Sorry if i am offtopic. Thank you :)

I tried to take a photo :

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2720Z panel fault ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 13:30

Defect.

Yep, panel is faulty when these kinds of horizontal lines appears -- it's a pixel-row addressor equivalent of a dead pixel now.

Unfortunately, it's time to replace the monitor.

<Advanced Detail>
Since this is out of warranty -- a faint hope is to de-bezel and massage the panel edges to try to cover a bad ribbon-cable solder connection, or weakened connection inside the panel glass), but that can make things worse rather than better. But this is something you may only want to do after buying a new monitor. Just like massaging dead pixels, the success rate of massaging a defective pixel row is extremely low.

There are many causes, such as missing bit(s) in the addressing lines (the multiwire ribbon going from monitor motherboard to the panel), and rarely, sometimes a very gentle massage or very gentle edge-tapping, causes this problem to fix itself. It can also be thermal; e.g. hotter temps may fix it (thermal expansion) -- especially if you are in the southern hemisphere and it's cold (since cold weather in a cold room for a powered-off monitor, makes this type of defect more likely to appear after years, due to the thermal contraction-expansion fatigue stresses).
</Advanced Detail>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Buchette

Post by Buchette » 26 May 2020, 14:26

Thank you Chief, the side ribbons are enclosed, i tried, but what i just achieved is inserting a bit of dust between layers :lol:

Just found one panel for cheap, maybe it's worth a try.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001068 ... hweb201603_

I'm still satisfied of this monitor i bought 6 years ago following blurbusters advices, and you guys were right about it.

Of course there are better models for sure but is the XL2720Z completely obsolete i terms of anti motion blur ? I do not have any occasion to test other monitors.

One sure thing : my eyes are black frame insertion addicts.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 26 May 2020, 16:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 May 2020, 13:30
Defect.

Yep, panel is faulty when these kinds of horizontal lines appears -- it's a pixel-row addressor equivalent of a dead pixel now.

Unfortunately, it's time to replace the monitor.

<Advanced Detail>
Since this is out of warranty -- a faint hope is to de-bezel and massage the panel edges to try to cover a bad ribbon-cable solder connection, or weakened connection inside the panel glass), but that can make things worse rather than better. But this is something you may only want to do after buying a new monitor. Just like massaging dead pixels, the success rate of massaging a defective pixel row is extremely low.

There are many causes, such as missing bit(s) in the addressing lines (the multiwire ribbon going from monitor motherboard to the panel), and rarely, sometimes a very gentle massage or very gentle edge-tapping, causes this problem to fix itself. It can also be thermal; e.g. hotter temps may fix it (thermal expansion) -- especially if you are in the southern hemisphere and it's cold (since cold weather in a cold room for a powered-off monitor, makes this type of defect more likely to appear after years, due to the thermal contraction-expansion fatigue stresses).
</Advanced Detail>
Chief, that line isn't a defect. It's from leaving a browser window open for a long time (especially with a Vertical Total tweak active and even more so with blur reduction on). It only happens on monitors that are older. I get it on mine now too. I make it go away by just turning it off for a long time, or turning off blur reduction and having a blank background up for a long time.
It's the good old fashioned "burn-in".

It's FAR More likely to happen with a VT Tweak + Blur reduction active.

Buchette

Post by Buchette » 26 May 2020, 17:03

Interesting,

The more i push the refresh rate, the more the white line is visible.

This line does not align with my browser UI, but i will give a try.

By blank, you mean full white or full black ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 19:12

Falkentyne wrote:
26 May 2020, 16:50
Chief, that line isn't a defect.
Hmmm, given line position -- it is possible, but not definite. Usually when this happens, there is evidence of other burn-in as well (e.g. window text and other lines).

But when it's just a single row (with no other burn-in evidence), it's a panel gone bad too. I've seen this happen on other brands, and it can be any random horizontal line position, independent of window -- it looks exactly like this.
Falkentyne wrote:
It's from leaving a browser window open for a long time (especially with a Vertical Total tweak active and even more so with blur reduction on). It only happens on monitors that are older. I get it on mine now too. I make it go away by just turning it off for a long time, or turning off blur reduction and having a blank background up for a long time.

I'll acknowledge both possibilities, only because of the interestingly specific horizontal line position -- but the lack of other burn-in evidence makes me doubt this is the cause, because I've seen this from a bad panel before.

You can also reduce refresh rate (disable VT, disable strobing) and play video for a long time.

Give this a try, and see if the line fades/disappears.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 27 May 2020, 09:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 May 2020, 19:12
Falkentyne wrote:
Chief, that line isn't a defect.
Hmmm, given line position -- it is possible, but not definite. Usually when this happens, there is evidence of other burn-in as well (e.g. window text and other lines).

But when it's just a single row (with no other burn-in evidence), it's a panel gone bad too. I've seen this happen on other brands, and it can be any random horizontal line position, independent of window -- it looks exactly like this.
Falkentyne wrote:
It's from leaving a browser window open for a long time (especially with a Vertical Total tweak active and even more so with blur reduction on). It only happens on monitors that are older. I get it on mine now too. I make it go away by just turning it off for a long time, or turning off blur reduction and having a blank background up for a long time.

I'll acknowledge both possibilities, only because of the interestingly specific horizontal line position -- but the lack of other burn-in evidence makes me doubt this is the cause, because I've seen this from a bad panel before.

You can also reduce refresh rate (disable VT, disable strobing) and play video for a long time.

Give this a try, and see if the line fades/disappears.
Ah what you say makes sense. On my sample the burn in is more than just a single line. It starts off as a single line but eventually you can see other remnants of the browser window itself/panes. When I turn the screen off, or if just disable blur reduction and simultaneously leave it on a normal windows wallpaper background, it goes away within a day.

Buchette

Post by Buchette » 29 May 2020, 06:37

48 hours running anti burn-in videos made absolutely no difference. Magnifying confirms it is just a single line of pixels with absolutely no evidence of burn in.

The monitor has more than 8600 hours of usage, things dies. Just ordered a replacement panel.

Thank you guys!

redbull2k

Post by redbull2k » 08 Jun 2020, 19:15

i have 16714 hr 10mins of monitor on time
and 16643 hr 40mins backlight on time. its a shame yours has failed you.

Buchette

Post by Buchette » 24 Jun 2020, 13:30

Just replaced the faulty panel, it's a 10 minutes job, no tool needed but your hands :lol: