Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working [now working!]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
mditsch

Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working [now working!]

Post by mditsch » 03 May 2014, 06:59

Hi,

need help. try to upgrade the firmware of my BENQ XL270Z but it is not working.
Do the upgrading with MSTAR ISP and everything is going fine (always PASS in the tool).
But monitor starts never with the " Burning-In-Test", described in the HowTo and when I then check with the service-menu i have always v1.
Tried all the hints from the forum here (nothing else plugged in, other port, programming in "standby-" or "switched off-mode") but always the same:
no "Burning-In-Test" and still v1.

help, help, help..
Last edited by mditsch on 03 May 2014, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Upgrading BenQ 2720Z wil not work

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2014, 09:15

mditsch wrote:need help. try to upgrade the firmware of my BENQ XL270Z but it will not work.
Do the upgrading with MSTAR ISP and everything is going fine (always PASS in the tool).
Are you using VGA or DVI to upgrade?
When you upgrade,

Try these tips:
(1) Make sure the monitor is not already in service menu mode. Exit service menu mode by power cycling your monitor.
(2) Upgrade the monitor in standby mode with only the MSTAR connected. (use a different monitor to view computer screen)

Let me know if this works.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mditsch

Re: Firmware Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working

Post by mditsch » 03 May 2014, 09:19

Hi,

i tried all that things before and also tested with different ports (VGA & DVI), doesn't matter. always the same..
not starting the "Burn-In-Test" and then always in v1

tried it again for the Moment in the way you described, but no success:
"PASS" message in the tool and still v1 für the monitor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2014, 10:04

Try this:

First, reset the monitor back to factory default settings (via the menu). Make sure DDC/CI is turned on (I don't think this matters, but just in case). Next:
1. Completely unplug the monitor (power removed)
2. Plug in the monitor again.
3. Make sure the screen looks completely off/black with only the power button illuminating
4. Connect MSTAR via VGA and repeat the upgrade process with instructions.

Let me know if this "clean do-over" works. If you are still having problems, I'll ask an engineer at BENQ to see what might be happening (a response may take a few days).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mditsch

Re: Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working [still V1 after PASS]

Post by mditsch » 03 May 2014, 10:40

Hi,

I tried this before, too and now again. Really exact as you have descriped it. But still v1.. :x

mditsch

Re: Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working [now it worked!!]

Post by mditsch » 03 May 2014, 13:02

:D :D :D
Now it worked!! But don't ask what was making it really possible: i don't surely know.
I downloaded the Firmware a forth time (I do not think, that something was wrong with the .bin, because the checksum was always fine). I have connected the monitor to the PC, that means no second Monitor, have worked, played nearly 90 minutes and then tried agan but started the tool "as admin" and with win7 compatibility.

now I have the 2720Z with FW 2.0

:D :D

Thanks a lot chief for your support and not leaving me alone.. :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading BenQ 2720Z isn't working [now working!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2014, 13:57

Wonder why this happened -- you might have rebooted the computer (complete poweroff), or have done something along the way (e.g. a specific combination of factory reset to defaults & Standby Mode) that got the monitor to accept the V2 upgrade.

Either way, it works now -- glad it worked!