Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Feb 2016, 21:27

CharlieFlight wrote:Hey, I have tried to do this a few times. I however have never dabbled in linux before. I got pretty far but then got kind of confused. (some packages were not downloading)

Was wondering if there was anyway someone could post a youtube video or a picture tutorial? I just need something very detailed. (I know the guide is, I just keep getting stuck)

I want to go from v2 to v5 on my XL2720Z. I heard you can tell a pretty big difference just jumping to v3. I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Currently I have my Benq and a dell side by side. Can I do this with DVI off my Geforce 760 or do I need VGA off the motherboard?

Usually I am good with technically stuff, but this is almost beyond me. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
I had absolutely no problems flashing directly through the DVI port on my Radeon R9 290X with the monitor as the *active* display, however some people HAVE had problems with DVI flashing.
SOME People have even had the EDID get corrupted by flashing. I don't know why as I didn't make this flasher. I suspect it's an issue with i2c addressing and UEFI Bioses on some motherboards. The computers I used to flash were 1) desktop with Gigabyte P67 UD5 motherboard (Award Legacy Bios), and 2) MSI laptop with what I guess is a Phoenix or AMI legacy bios.

I just used the instructions right on page 23 of this thread here. with no problems at all. the hardest part was finding which bus the monitor was identified on. On my laptop it was bus 1, on the desktop with the R9 290X it was bus 5.

These instructions still work for me.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=220

For anyone who has a "Non PNP monitor" after a flash and the monitor locked to 60hz no matter what, this means something happened with EDID communication and a failed update of the DVI EDID. The mstar ISP device will always completely fix this as it's a hardware flasher. Such an error should never happen with the mstar device.

http://www.yoycart.com/Product/5278188206/

CharlieFlight

Post by CharlieFlight » 09 Feb 2016, 23:51

Code: Select all

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/flashrom$ tr '\000' '\377' < /dev/zero | dd of=firmware.bin bs=1k count=2k
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2097152 bytes (2.1 MB) copied, 0.0018789 s, 1.1 GB/s
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/flashrom$ dd if=XL2411Z_V2_20131209_8B72.BIN of=firmware.bin conv=notrunc
dd: failed to open ‘XL2720Z_V5.BIN’: No such file or directory
I alway have to become root to copy the file to the folder, yet for some reason even though it is in the folder it can not be found.

everything works perfect up to this point. (I am using onboard VGA on my motherboard and found my monitor easily)

Could someone just post their 2mb firmware.bin file for the XL2720Z so that I can skip this step?

(V5 is what I want)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Feb 2016, 01:14

Ah,
All you have to do is simple:

1) rename the XL2720Z V5 firmware you downloaded off this forum from the name with the hex (checksum) thing at the end to XL2720Z_V5.bin. That's very easy. The size is around 832k I think. Linux's USB boot drive can access files on your windows drive without a problem.

2) Copy the renamed file into the flashrom folder.

That's all I had to do.
The very first time (When I was doing my first ever flash to V4, using my laptop) I was panicking and having trouble with the instructions, since I was completely new to Linux and had no idea what I was doing. Plus not having the correct i2c packages install for some reason just made things even harder. And then the instructions on page 1 were outdated, you had to add the truck@18xx thing after flashrom, as the version of flashrom that was 'newer' didn't work properly for some reason. Someone helped me through it and then I realized just how easy it is to flash. The libusb or libpci (or whatever) packages I had to install manually was the bigger problem.

I also panicked because I had no idea that Linux could see the windows files and I could just copy the 800k (unzipped) firmware file over to the flashrom folder, after renaming it to XL2720Z_V4 or V5.bin.

CharlieFlight

Post by CharlieFlight » 10 Feb 2016, 10:12

Here is the problem. When I start Ubuntu none of my 3 hard drives mounted and had errors.

So to circumvent that, I just downloaded the v5 firmware from ubuntu and unzipped it to my documents and changed the name to something easier.

I have checked my spelling. I have also changed the file name once to "XL2720Z_V5.bin" and once to the old v2 name just so that it would be easier to copy and paste directly from this website, neither worked.

Later on I went to copy it to Flashrom. It said access was denied. So I used a command in the terminal to make me root after that I used this code after downloading Gksudo.

Code: Select all

gksudo nautilus
I used the new root gui to copy the file to Flashrom. Yet for some reason it doesn't see it in there.

Do you have a suggestion? I am stuck.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Feb 2016, 13:33

As I said I know NOTHING about Linux, but you should not be having any of these strange issues.

You did edit the sources.list file and turn yourself into a super user, right? It's the very first instruction I wrote on page 23.

by adding the universe multiverse line after the correct line? Most errors with permissions are from people adding it to the incorrect line (Which I did myself, once. Was stressful to figure out why I had permission errors).

CharlieFlight

Post by CharlieFlight » 10 Feb 2016, 13:34

I did it through the gui just to be safe.

I am stumped. The only thing I can figure might work is if someone just gives me a 2mb dump of v5 for XL2720Z. I am running V2 atm.

CharlieFlight

Post by CharlieFlight » 11 Feb 2016, 00:53

Just started fresh and got it working. Trying new AMA mode now. Not exactly sure on the difference.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Feb 2016, 01:21

You can't really test the AMA mode in games unless you are dealing with a lot of black to white surface transitions (or vice versa).
You usually don't want to use the new AMA mode (with blur reduction *ON*) in 3D shooting games, because while it removes INVERSE ghosting almost completely, it adds NORMAL ghosting, like you are using a too low AMA level. Normal ghosting is increased when contrast is increased, so you usually have to lower the contrast to less than 20 for the normal ghosting to get reduced enough. An example is if you were playing a game with a grey or light blue sky and there were black telephone wires in the air. With the "normal" AMA high with blur reduction on, you would see a faint 'inverse' copy of the wires, and an even fainter second inverse copy--which is often called the primary trail and the secondary trail (meaning, a glowing type white translucent copy), and you might not even notice it at all.

For blur reduction on, on the XL2720Z, the default AMA setting for blur reduction high is actually rather good. I think its worse on the 24" monitors, however. Masterotaku's photos with AMA high from his XL2411Z looked as bad as my AMA premium.

Back to my example about telephone wires being shown while looking at the sky in a FPS shooting game (CS:GO, Call of Duty, etc):
normal AMA high: main black wire, translucent inverse copy (white'ish), translucent secondary inverse copy (faint).

However if you used the new AMA with blur reduction, at a normal contrast of 40-50, you *would* see a normal ghost copy of the wires, just 1 ghost, but it would be the same color as the main black wire, just fainter. But it would be rather obvious on your screen and might stand out far more than the translucent copy would. However you would not see a secondary trail at all, just a really think primary normal ghost copy. it is quite nice to have the secondary trail not visible! If you reduced the contrast to 10, the primary trail (the normal ghost) would be very faint, and might look much better overall than the original AMA with contrast 45 and the translucent copy, but you pay a price for that--greatly reduced contrast.

HOWEVER in 2D side scrolling games, that are not 3D games and that have a lot of medium colors scrolling around, THEN *inverse ghosting* becomes a MASSIVE problem. In this case, you would gain a lot by doing the AMA low toggle, even if you don't reduce the contrast, simply because the inverse ghosting would be far more blatantly distracting than any normal ghosting

The Test UFO/ alien invasion test is a very prime example of this, and why you should test this in that test right here:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

When you test it, test the new AMA setting, and also test the effect of lowering contrast after doing the new AMA setting.
Remember that ANY change to strobe phase, strobe duty, Single Strobe on/off or the monitor Brightness setting (but not contrast or gamma) will instantly revert the AMA.

HOWEVER IS BLUR REDUCTION IS OFF, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS--Always---always--ALWAYS toggle the AMA. EVERY time, but remember you have to "combine" the blur reduction AMA low toggle with a blur reduction off profile switch (which I explained in full in the VT tweak thread I made). There is absolutely NO drawback to it. Why?

Because blur reduction's OFF's AMA high is FAR FAR FAR more excessive and horrible than blur reduction on's AMA high.
tl;dr: blur reduction off AMA high looks like blur reduction on's AMA premium. (probably worse actually!)

So applying the AMA low blur reduction "on" tweak to blur reduction off (which you do via a profile switch bug) makes a MUCH bigger and literally perfect difference. The reason you HAVE to toggle this through a gamer profile preset (although you "could" hold down the "enter" button on the S-switch for 10 seconds, to go directly into standard mode--this isn't listed in the Benq manual btw), is because NONE of the AMA toggles work with blur reduction off. They only work with blur reduction on. And disabling blur reduction on the OSD will instantly use the default AMA high value for MBR off. However--doing a profile change AVOIDS the AMA being recalibrated when going from MBR on preset to MBR off preset (bug!)

Heres an example to show you, at 144 hz (a refresh rate you shouldn't use blur reduction at anyway, due to crosstalk covering half the screen).

144hz: Blur reduction off, AMA high (default settings) XL2720Z

144hz, blur reduction off: AMA low "bug" toggled into a blur reduction off preset, after activating "AMA low" with blur reduction on first:

^^ This blur reduction off AMA improvement shows that you should ALWAYS ALWAYS toggle the AMA via the profile bug if you are not using blur reduction. the quality improvement is massive with NO drawbacks. It's even more massive at 100hz and at 60hz...it's like comparing a $50 monitor with a $1000 monitor (it's that improved).

roman

Post by roman » 14 Feb 2016, 22:15

So my MSTAR upgrader tool should arrive in the next couple days, but i already ran into another problem.. The upgrade software does not appear when opening. I can double click it and simply nothing happens. No program comes up.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Feb 2016, 22:21

Did you extract the zip with directory structure intact?
Did you install the driver in the (I think) i386 folder? I don't remember. Might be right before the i386 folder.
Did you run the tool from the right folder?
there's a copy of it in the wrong folder. that one doesn't work.
the one that runs is in the i386 folder.

Try using compatibility mode if in windows 10. I don't own windows 10, so I can't help with anything related to windows 10.
I also keep windows 7 in test mode at all times, although disabling UAC should work also.