Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
urut

Re: Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Post by urut » 14 Jun 2016, 11:24

Hmm, i can't find any XL2411T firmware download link :/

"with partially working features assuming a Mstar ISP unit is used to avoid DVI EDID corruption"

So when i will found xl2411t firmware and want to install it on my xl2411Z with linux method can it brick my monitor?
Cuz i already upgraded 2 times with linux method, V1 -> V2 and V2 -> V4.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Jun 2016, 13:49

Please don't do this!! I was giving an example.

urut

Post by urut » 14 Jun 2016, 16:01

Ah, okey :D. Thanks for the answer.

Haphat95

Post by Haphat95 » 21 Jun 2016, 14:52

Hi fankentyle, after i finish all your steps , my monitor has no signal now , Im using benq xl2720z and v5 firmware. What should i do bro ? I didnt restart yet till i finish final step

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 21 Jun 2016, 17:26

Are you using Linux or the Mstar ISP device?
Did you use the VGA or DVI connector?
Were you using the monitor itself as the primary display while flashing or was it in standby mode (plugged in but powered off?).

Before the monitor shut off, did you have text saying something like "flashrom will reset the device at the end?"

Try unplugging the monitor from the wall for 10 minutes (press the power button once while its unplugged to make sure all power is removed), and then boot Linux and try again . The monitor should still be identified.

if you remember, it is SUGGESTED that you use a laptop or a computer with another monitor as the primary monitor while flashing, and the Benq powered off but plugged in in passive mode (the firmware chip is still accessible and readable even without being powered on, as long as it's plugged in and plugged into AC power).

It's suggested to not use the monitor as the primary device so that any errors or problems can be easily seen. While it can work (and it has worked for people) when using it as the primary device, even on the main computer's DVI port (I've done this myself, but I do have a Mstar ISP device in case anything goes wrong), that's purely on your own.

kEEEix

Post by kEEEix » 26 Jul 2016, 07:25

First of all I really wanted to thank Falkentyne for the step by step guide.

I did flash my xl2411z yesterday from V1 to V4 with my GTX970 through the DVI port. I did it while i had my TV connected to the second DVI port. I only faced one problem while trying to find the I2C identifier name. At first i had my TV connected to DVI port 1 and the only name that appeared was at bus 0 (tried from 0-7) and it was the Samsung TV name. So I thought that I could just switch the 2 cables and et voila, the monitor name appeared in the same line as the TV before.

What I also wanted to add is that I used an AMI bios, otherwhise i wouldnt have taken the risk to brick the monitor that could be caused by the UEFI bios.

best regards

NGC_2359

Post by NGC_2359 » 09 Aug 2016, 11:42

I know the XL2430T isn't popular choice around here, but I had to send it back for RMA due to the backlight always being on. I got the same monitor back, same serial stamp on the plastic, but no serial number via the service menu. Also note, Old panel was V3 firmware, now I have V6. Is the V6 needed to dump? I have Fedora 23 running along my Windows install and I can do a quick dump for it.

http://imgur.com/a/2iR2i

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Aug 2016, 12:37

Thanks, but it's already been dumped.
I have it on my onedrive for awhile now (as of around 3 months ago).
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkQqWXPLNfg-gVFgbSqQ9RqLAZ2A

It's a shame that it took so long for these monitor firmwares to get dumped by someone though. Now everyone is hopping on the Freesync, Gsync and 4k bandwagon. Very few people seem to really be interested in the Z series Benq monitors, and the XL2730Z has other problems (good freesync support, better picture quality, but mediocre blur reduction, AND some users with the XL2730Z are getting horrible overdrive artifacts over displayport on a GTX 1000+ series, while it looks fine on an AMD r9 290X also over displayport). But if people want to buy the Mstar ISP device, or take their chances with Linux (my instructions over on page 21 of this Linux thread), they can upgrade themselves.

the official device (along with the software for it on the main blurbusters page under DIY V2 or something):
http://www.yoycart.com/Product/52781882 ... ment_tool/

NGC_2359

Post by NGC_2359 » 09 Aug 2016, 13:03

Ah damn alright. Hell I'm personally fine at 1080p, then again I'm saying that without ever seeing any other high res monitor, or any other features besodes the Acer,Benq features for Blur Reduction.

Firmware dumps seem to take a while due to this community is so small, and every user I see for the most part plug in the monitor, set to 144Hz and thinks it's totally tuned when there are so many more features/tuning in the menu literally or free which can reduce blur drastically.

Orphican

Post by Orphican » 15 Sep 2016, 16:19

Hey all. Im new here and I could use some help. Im trying to flash my xl2720z firmware using the method on pg 5. The issue im running into is finding and version of the firmware greater than v2. All the links in previous posts seem to be dead. Anyone know where I can download xl2720z firmware v3 or better?