Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
roman

Re: Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Post by roman » 14 Feb 2016, 22:31

Yep i got it to run. I had to move the 2 files from the MSTAR_ISP_TOOL folder into the i386 folder and also installed the driver before.
Man the instructions on this site seem way outdated and not precise enough.. but ok, waiting for my tool to arrive at last. Thanks again Falkentyne.

Edit: Since im already posting here. Could you tell me which firmware i should upgrade to right away? I've seen something about a V5 firmware but didnt find a thread or info on where to get it.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Feb 2016, 23:43

Go directly to V5.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2461

I flashed multiple times with my Mstar ISP device.

You just run it, click on connect, if you want to back up the current firmware, you click on "load", press load again to enter the file name you will save the current firmware to, then click on run (I did this to back up the Asus VG248QE firmware), otherwise you click on "read", select the firmware, click on auto then click "Reconnect" (I think), erase device (all chip) and click run.

I flashed using DVI port on it. VGA also works. To flash with the DVI port, you need to have a different monitor hooked up the computer as your main display. I believe it's possible to flash with DVI as the monitor hooked up as the main display however (I believe I did this also through Linux).

Once the firmware is flashed and it says "ready" or something in "green" under the status, you click disconnect and the monitor OSD will respond.

After flashing, you should enter the burn-in service menu and choose "Recall all" at the top left, under the burn-in option. Also turn burn-in to off.

roman

Post by roman » 15 Feb 2016, 06:29

I flashed the V4 now since the V5 says its for XL2720Z V5 and i got a xl2411z. And it was a success, my monitor works again :D. Thanks for all the help

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Feb 2016, 14:50

Glad it worked and the EDID got recovered!

And there's someone making another thread spreading doom and gloom that the mstar ISP device will void a warranty...

Jesus...we'd still be in the stone age rising horses and sailboats with this amount of fear...

X-Leg1on

Post by X-Leg1on » 23 May 2016, 09:39

Thinking about doing this upgrade to V5 from Falkentyne. If I do not have the USB switch (1234 enter) is it still possible to complete this task? Also is there a new or simplified version of these instructions?
Thank you very much.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 30 May 2016, 08:14

Is it possible to do it through a virtual machine running under windows, I wonder...?

I did do a firmware upgrade V2 back when I got my XL2720Z but it was booted through with a USB device and over VGA using a 2nd monitor.

ninya

Post by ninya » 30 May 2016, 12:19

so wanted to ask whether flashing using an uefi motherboard but boot the ubuntu usb in legacy bios mode would work?

One guy mentioned flashing using AMD graphics over DVI worked but that was with a legacy bios.

I have windows installed in uefi, but no idea if booting the ubuntu usb in legacy mode and flashing over DVI would work. I have a P67 motherboard so no onboard graphics ports and my laptop only has a HDMI port.

Would prefer to do a clean flash and not corrupt my DVI EDID, might just purchase the MSTAR device. Gonna follow the instructions to backup firmware step anyway and might see if i want to test my luck.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 May 2016, 16:17

As long as you are WILLING to buy the mstar device, you can use the Linux utility anyway.

One person bricked his DVI EDID using Linux, and when he bought the Mstar, everything worked perfectly and it got restored (you can look at the above posts to see).
I did NOT make this utility. I can NOT help with UEFI issues, nor do I know the reason for corruption of the DVI EDID. My post was a guess based on what I read in older posts, and what would seem "Logical" to explain it, as, after all, hardware is hardware. Ubuntu is Ubuntu and that's a standard. It isn't subject to failure like a bloated windows OS is if everything is done by the book. And Linux accesses hardware on a rather low level (like MS DOS used to do), and I even flashed my XL2720Z with the DVI port and a 290X through Linux successfully. So it stands to reason that the ONLY possible reason anything could fail *MUST* be BIOS on something onboard related, whether that's iGPU, Video card Bios or System Bios, I assume UEFI would be the biggest culprit.

urut

Post by urut » 13 Jun 2016, 08:18

I've got a question guys. I've got xl2411z v4 firmware, and i saw there https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... CB73592A44
is a xl2430t v6 firmware, its any chance it will be working on my xl2411z?

If i upgrade xl2411z monitor with x2430t firmware? :p Cuz i want newest firmware i can got :p

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Jun 2016, 03:50

No, it will brick it.
An XL240Z firmware will not work in an XL2411Z, so why would a XL2430T firmware work? A XL2411Z does not have a displayport connector.

Only monitors with the same base features are cross flashable, with partially working features assuming a Mstar ISP unit is used to avoid DVI EDID corruption

E.g. XL2411T (144hz version) can be flashed with XL2411Z firmware but blur reduction will not work and monitor brightness will be reduced if not using the PWM free version. XL2420TE (144hz) can be flashed with XL2420Z except MBR will not work. XL2720T might not be flashable with XL2720Z firmware as the panels are different (CMI vs AUO, unless someone can correct me, and this was a 120hz part, like the VG278H).