help screen adjustment xl2720z with blur reduction on

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
davidd59

Re: help screen adjustment xl2720z with blur reduction on

Post by davidd59 » 21 May 2014, 17:19

ah ok so it's cool.

in response to my questions :

is it normal when I pass the Vertical Total 1350 the screen is brighter?

and at the Color Settings? because white does not really. settings you have for me?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2014, 18:38

davidd59 wrote:is it normal when I pass the Vertical Total 1350 the screen is brighter?

and at the Color Settings? because white does not really. settings you have for me?
-- Yes, it's normal for the picture to be brighter during VT1350. It is using longer strobes.
-- For colors, you can calibrate colors via your monitor while using Lagom test patterns (www.lagom.nl/lcd-test), or a calibration utility such as Windows calibration (e.g. Windows 8 Calibration), or via NVIDIA Control Panel.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MaximilianKohler

Post by MaximilianKohler » 30 May 2014, 18:18

I was having this same problem, then I set it to 1320 instead of 1350. The extra brightness is there and the UFO test detects it correctly as 120hz 120fps. But the ghosting is significantly worse than when I set it to 1350. Is there really supposed to be that big of a difference between 1320 and 1350? Like it's almost hard to tell that it's not at the default.

I'm on a 290x so the pixel clock patcher should work fine, but I'm hesitant to install it because of the known issues that are listed there: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... ck-Patcher

Also, I'm wondering what settings for horizontal and vertical total to use for 800x600 resolution ("maintain aspect ratio" would be used), and how would I force the game I play at that resolution to use the setting?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2014, 19:14

MaximilianKohler wrote:But the ghosting is significantly worse than when I set it to 1350. Is there really supposed to be that big of a difference between 1320 and 1350? Like it's almost hard to tell that it's not at the default.
There should not be that dramatic a difference. Did you readjust the "Crosstalk" setting in Strobe Utility?

You can also try the 1350 tweak again, but with a smaller Horizontal Total (e.g. 2024 or 2040).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MaximilianKohler

Post by MaximilianKohler » 01 Jun 2014, 00:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
MaximilianKohler wrote:But the ghosting is significantly worse than when I set it to 1350. Is there really supposed to be that big of a difference between 1320 and 1350? Like it's almost hard to tell that it's not at the default.
There should not be that dramatic a difference. Did you readjust the "Crosstalk" setting in Strobe Utility?

You can also try the 1350 tweak again, but with a smaller Horizontal Total (e.g. 2024 or 2040).
It won't let me put the horizontal total down that low :/

Any idea what settings for horizontal and vertical total to use for 800x600 resolution (with "maintain aspect ratio"), and how I would force the game I play at that resolution to use the setting?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2014, 01:00

To use low horizontal totals, you need to make sure (resolution + sync pixels + front porch + back porch) is low enough. For example, 1920 horizontal resolution plus 400 horizontal front porch means you can't do horizontal total less than (1920 + 400). So to get lower horizontal totals, you need to decrease the other numbers (sync, porches) in order to fit a smaller horizontal total.

That said, not all displays can support very short horizontal totals...

As for 800x600, try adding 100 lines at a time, until it goes out of sync. e.g. Vertical Total 700, 800, 900... Also, the scanout behavior of non-native resolutions are untested, but you will know it is working when the strobe crosstalk (ghosting) becomes progressively fainter and fainter during larger and larger vertical totals.