BenQ XL2420Z Settings and Firmware Upgrade help!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Logix

BenQ XL2420Z Settings and Firmware Upgrade help!

Post by Logix » 05 Jun 2014, 09:16

Hey guys!

This is my first topic on BlurBusters so be nice to me :D

Well, So I bought a BenQ XL2420Z 1 month ago, not knowing that there is a difference between older and newer models ( Firmware v1 v2 ) but I'll talk about that later.

First of all, what are good settings for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Blur Reduction is a no since I have Firmware v1 ATM.
But when I have all the default settings on I feel like my gamma is way too high, anyone can share some nice settings? ( doesnt matter what game U play ^^ )

So... I got the v1 Firmware, So I can't use the Blur Busters Utility.
But I want to use Blur Reduction and maybe Lightboost ( what does Lightboost do? :D ) but I dont want to spent 40 Euros for the upgrade, so I saw that you could upgrade with Linux but sadly enough I have 0 experience with Linux so are there some people that could help me step by step?

PS. I saw that Blur Reduction and Lightboost will make the Response time 4ms, isnt this bad?

thanks,
Bram Breugelmans

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ XL2420Z Settings and Firmware Upgrade help!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2014, 17:20

Coincidentially, someone asked a similar question as you, so I am posting a follow up:
Mark Rejhon wrote:Firstly, welcome to Blur Busters Forums! Great place for talking about 120Hz+ Monitors.
Your GTX 670 should be able to keep up in CS:GO at the full refresh rate of your monitor even in the middle of heavy action if you're not too heavy on AA, so:

Configuring for minimum input lag, competitively
144Hz, VSYNC OFF, 2X AA, Blur Reduction OFF
Optional: Use fps_max 143 at the console to smooth things out a little, for GTX 600 series can stutter during heavy action if framerate is uncapped, and heavily fluctuating framerates creates input lag variances that can throw off aiming.

Configuring for better motion clarity (CRT clarity), still low lag compared to majority of monitors
120Hz, VSYNC OFF, 2X AA, Blur Reduction ON, Install Blur Busters Strobe Utility, install the VT1350 tweak (described in Strobe Utility page), set "Crosstalk" to 0, set "Persistence" to preference.
Optional: Use fps_max 119 at the console to smooth things out a little, same reason as above

It depends on your gameplay habits, which of the two benefits you. Some prefer it with blur reduction, some prefer it without the blur reduction (which adds a minor lag, average ~3-4ms lag, but improves certain specific gameplay tactics).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Logix

Post by Logix » 06 Jun 2014, 03:39

Thank you for your reply Chief!

But I don't know if you know about this but it looks like my monitor is way too bright, and the gamma is way too high.
If I change this in my Nvidia settings then it wont affect the game, and I can't change the gamma via my monitor.

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2014, 15:27

The BENQ has extra picture adjustments if you scroll down the onscreen BENQ menus (some picture adjustments are hidden offscreen below the bottom of the BENQ menu), as there are some gamma-affecting adjustments in there.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!