Low latency Keyboards

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Low latency Keyboards

Post by RealNC » 08 Jan 2014, 02:57

When I went from an Amiga 500 to a 486 PC, all I could buy were mechanical keyboards. I don't even remember rubber ones for sale back then. Were there any? Mechanical switches were taken for granted. And they weren't expensive.

Now you need to pay a hefty premium for mechanical keys? They're like three times more expensive (or even more) compared to the early 90's. Can someone explain to me why?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 08 Jan 2014, 03:49

RealNC wrote:When I went from an Amiga 500 to a 486 PC, all I could buy were mechanical keyboards. I don't even remember rubber ones for sale back then. Were there any? Mechanical switches were taken for granted. And they weren't expensive.

Now you need to pay a hefty premium for mechanical keys? They're like three times more expensive (or even more) compared to the early 90's. Can someone explain to me why?
Back in the 486 days most if not all keyboards were buckling spring boards, which is what the newer mechanical switches aim to emulate. You can actually still buy them here. Rubber dome keyboards with created specifically to reduce costs since buckling springs weren't cheap. I think you'll find that if you adjust for inflation, they weren't as cheap as you remember.

The other reason of course is that mechanical keyboards are still a niche product so they don't have the advantage of a large market to drive costs down like membrane boards do. Even so, you can pick up a Cooler Master or Rosewill mechanical keyboard for as low as $50 if you keep an eye on deals.

And if you want something really expensive, look at Topre Realforce (capacitive switch) keyboards which are difficult to find for less than $200.

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 13 Apr 2014, 01:32

I didn't know what I was missing until a Gigaparts opened up in my town and I tried their high-end KBs. Some were definitely too retro for my liking though. They can have very different feels. Some are practically as clacky-sounding and loud as typewriters.

DICKTracy

Post by DICKTracy » 13 Apr 2014, 07:04

Excuse my ignorance, but if I take my Thermaltake MEKA G1 and put a ps2 adapter on it, will it function without any latency? Or does the keyboard need to be natively ps2?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 13 Apr 2014, 14:29

same here, and I think the the ps2 allows n-key rollover.

I tried a few different cherries, and I found brown to be the best for me. I'm using a Das Keyboard, and love the feel. I also tried the cooler master quickfire cherry brown but preferred the feel of the das keyboard switches.

peleh

Post by peleh » 13 Apr 2014, 18:30

I use the Leopold, sold on elitekeyboards, with brown switches. Its similar to filco.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 13 Apr 2014, 18:43

I also use MX Brown switches on a Rosewill keyboard. It works well though I have had a few issues with keys double-activating which I understand is not uncommon with Cherry MX switches.

flood

Post by flood » 13 Apr 2014, 21:27

higher quality mech kb's benefit from a higher actuation point and nkro.
even if usb is polled at 125 hz, i am sure the lag is not noticeable for typing.. unless there's some weird buffering

disregard the following for if you use lightboost:

do you notice any input lag difference with your mouse pointer in the windows desktop at the top vs the bottom of your screen? because there is a difference and that difference is greater than a 8ms polling interval

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 14 Apr 2014, 20:48

Isn't low-profile keyboard better than mechanical for games? Like Logitech Ultra-Flat, the only problem such keyboard is not anymore produced and clones aren't that good.

boniek

Post by boniek » 22 Apr 2014, 13:44

Corsair k95 polls 1000 times a second (1000Hz USB).
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
GTX 670 2GB
ROG SWIFT PG278Q