Facebook to Acquire OculusVR

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Facebook to Acquire OculusVR

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2014, 13:47

Haste wrote:I usually use my computer in a dark environment and it doesn't seem to help with the flicker (at least for me).
The duty cycle of the flicker has a big impact, e.g. www.testufo.com/blackframes#count=4
Less motion blur but more flickery; or more motion blur but less flickery.

Meanwhile, I've dived into the low-persistence discussions in the Oculus Forums: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =26&t=6968
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 26 Mar 2014, 15:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Haste wrote:I usually use my computer in a dark environment and it doesn't seem to help with the flicker (at least for me).
The duty cycle of the flicker has a big impact, e.g. http://www.testufo.com/blackframes#count=4
f=26&t=6968
What does the "duty cycle" mean?
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 26 Mar 2014, 15:10

75hz is only for DK2. Everything I've heard points to at least 90hz on CV1. Or at least that's what they are shooting for if it is technically feasible. With the money from FB, that's a lot less of an "if"

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2014, 18:04

Haste wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
The duty cycle of the flicker has a big impact, e.g. http://www.testufo.com/blackframes#count=4
f=26&t=6968
Ratio of blackness versus visible light.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 27 Mar 2014, 02:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Haste wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
f=26&t=6968
Ratio of blackness versus visible light.
Thanks Chief.

The thread you linked had several posts that seem to indicate they're going for a low duty cycle. Hopefully that will be enough to compensate for the low refresh rate.
My worries are that they will test it internally and if they don't experience flicker, they might assume it's fine. While what is fine for the majority of people might not be for some people with higher flicker fusion thresholds.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X