Critica Flicker Frequency with High Speed Glass Elevators

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Elevator Geek

Critica Flicker Frequency with High Speed Glass Elevators

Post by Elevator Geek » 02 May 2014, 16:27

I'm researching the effects of Critical Flicker Frequency and Withdrawal Reflex in high speed glass elevators caused by dark gaps in a visual image as opposed to a bright flash. This would be similar in effect to the video display frame rate created when an elevator travelling vertically passes a horizontal structural beam or window mullion interrupts the field of vision of a person looking out the glass back of the elevator. The frequency of the modulation or band width of the gap, in this case the vertical height of the horizontal structural beam or window mullion, the color of the beam (light or dark), the proximity to the rear glass wall of the elevator to the horizontal beam, the speed of the elevator, and the vertical distance or frequency of the horizontal beams are each known to affect a person's spatial vision similarly as it affects their Withdrawal Reflex.

I would appreciate it if anyone has an idea of how to calculate the effects of distance of the beam from the rear of the elevator relative to the vertical frequency of the beams and the vertical height of the beams.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Critica Flicker Frequency with High Speed Glass Elevator

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2014, 14:19

Elevator Geek wrote:I'm researching the effects of Critical Flicker Frequency and Withdrawal Reflex
This quite an interesting question, that if it were display-related, would definitely belong in Area 51!

You may want to ask the question at www.sciforum.com and a few other places, since we are a computer/display forum, even though some display engineers visit from time to time!

There's a flickering effect when looking out the Toronto (where I live) CN tower elevator, due to the bars across the windows.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!