New Zowie Monitor 540Hz XL2586X

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
LordGurciullo

Re: New Zowie Monitor 540Hz XL2586X

Post by LordGurciullo » 08 Apr 2024, 21:09

Sup Guys, Zorz Gaming here. Yes I'm seeing the lack of ability to do any custom resolutions. Even with CRU it will not let me go past 240hz to even create one and the nvidia application wont let me click on customize. I plan to have a video about this, but I really need to know how to turn off DSC. I emailed zowie and will keep following up as much as possible. Any Ideas?

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 09 Apr 2024, 09:53

LordGurciullo wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 21:09
Sup Guys, Zorz Gaming here. Yes I'm seeing the lack of ability to do any custom resolutions. Even with CRU it will not let me go past 240hz to even create one and the nvidia application wont let me click on customize. I plan to have a video about this, but I really need to know how to turn off DSC. I emailed zowie and will keep following up as much as possible. Any Ideas?
whatup zorg. Love your videos.

Zowie Dmded me on my Twitter its not possible to disable DSC.
U can try to disable the overclock to get custom res to work in nividia ctrl panel. ( thats how it works on the asus)
to disable overclock on the zowie ( aka put max hz from 540hz to 500hz, this is something totally different then disabling DSC) u have to go enable EDID 500HZ in options. U can prob then alter the custom res then in nvidia ctrl panel like the asus can. ( not overlock the hz in cru, thats not possible on the asus)

I think the xl2586x is non overclockable in CRU like the pg248qp is. For all i know ASUS build in some save switch thats prevents people from breaking there monitor while overclocking. Example on the faq of the zowie monitor:

Q: "Why my monitor doesn't work after creating a custom resolution to overclock the hz of the monitor?"

A: Any custom resolution/Hz setting may damage your monitor due to out of the operation range different from what the monitor has been designed for, and it may make your monitor out of warranty accordingly.

On discord, on blurbusters and on reddit I have not met one single person who could create a overclock in CRU in the non DSC mode of the pg248qp and proof this with a screenshot.
Its even worse then overclocking 360hz GSYNC monitors where it is possible as long as your pixel clock remains within 10 mhz of the monitor's max and modulating the vertical total. This is also not possible on the pg248qp .
At least I have not met a single person who can prove otherwise.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 09 Apr 2024, 11:22

LordGurciullo wrote:
Also:

Just got a reply again from Zowie:
----------

Hello Zowie is it true its impossible to disable DSC on the new XL2586X?
Hope to hear from you!
za 11:24 a.m.
Or can u maybe provide a list of resolutions where DSC is not enabled?
On hdmi 2.1
za 11:45 a.m.
Hi, our monitor is a passive device, we don't have option or feature to turn ON/Off DSC by monitor itself.

We follow the HDMI certification and requirements to the design.
za 5:00 p.m.
Ty for replying Zowie! I don't understand what you mean with "passive device"!
On the asus pg248qp 540hz we can disable DSC. ******
I ask cause HDMI 2.1 has lots of potential for a DSC free signal on 1080p. I hope there will come a firmware update to disable it!
Or a trick somehow in CRU! Lots of people will buy it then (including me) cause DSC can cause stutters.
Hope to hear from u!
Gisteren, 3:48 p.m.
1 nieuw(e) bericht
Hi, sorry for late reply.
Actually the DSC to be on of off depends on the bandwidth of the signal cable.

So for DP1.4 with the same bandwidth, the DSC behavior between all brands are the same, no difference. So which means the DSC will be OFF when the content is within the bandwidth coverage of the cable; and the DSC will be ON when the content is over the bandwidth of the cable. And that is why there is no need to have a ON/Off option in the monitor menu, due to whether DSC to be On or Off is decided by the bandwidth of the cable.

And regarding the stutter impact, there is nothing related to the DSC On or Off theoretically or by the test result.
10:40 a.m.
kramerav.com
Bandwidth Calculator
Hello Zowie! Thank your replying! https://kramerav.com/bandwidth-calculator/ says HDMI 2.1 max bandwidth: 48 Gbps.
1920x1080, 480hz, 8-bit color: 29.86 Gbps
1920x1080, 540hz, 8-bit color should be 33.59 Gbps.
Then HDMI 2.1 does not use DSC? I hope to hear from you so I can share the info on blurbusters and discord! Lots of people want to know! It prevents them from buying the monitor. ( like me) kind regards

--------
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

forcedreg

Post by forcedreg » 10 Apr 2024, 04:52

DSC should never be on when using hdmi 2.1 at the resolutions possible with XL2586X no? Asus PG248QP has HDMI 2.0 with only 18 Gb/s bandwidth (and DP 1.4), so it needs to use DSC. Maybe this causes the confusion?

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 10 Apr 2024, 05:22

forcedreg wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 04:52
DSC should never be on when using hdmi 2.1 at the resolutions possible with XL2586X no? Asus PG248QP has HDMI 2.0 with only 18 Gb/s bandwidth (and DP 1.4), so it needs to use DSC. Maybe this causes the confusion?
U confused about the confusion I just mentioned? Makes me think u not really read what I posted. If u did: my bad cannot make it any clearer. Gl.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 12 Apr 2024, 03:51

LordGurciullo wrote:
I got a other reply from zowie:

________
Hi, sorry for late reply.
We care our product design in an overall experience in game. But we have no intention to communicate the engineering design differences which are not relevant to the competitive gaming.

---------

I just answered:
---------

Hello Zowie! Ty for replying!
I think you can sell more units if your monitor can get 500/540hz with DCS off on HDMI 2.1.

If DCS really does not matter why not just share the information?
The hesitation does not help me in buying the monitor or astablish of keep my trust in your company.
Not only will I not buy this round of monitors but you can potentially loose me for the next round too that way cause I lost my trust.

Your Acer and ASUS competitors only have DP 1.4. But they DO have a option to turn DSC off.

I thought Zowie is known to take there demographic seriously cause playing pc games competitively is not just a game.

That is your slogan!

Every little niche difference can make the difference in a win or not. Even if that difference is just information.

I hope you forward my question internally somewhere to someone that knows if HDMI 2.1. uses DCS or not. Please let them email me on *** or here on twitter.

Ty.

Kind regards,

David

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 13 Apr 2024, 01:02

I got a other reply from Zowie:

Hi David,
Thanks for your feedback. I will share your feedback to our team.

By the way, wondering if you already tried the DSC On and Off, and also you feel the difference?

That I answered with:

‐‐-------
Hello Zowie! Thank you for the reply and for for forwarding my message! I truly appreciate that!
I tried 360hz without DSC on the ASUS pg248qp it felt very responsive. I wish it had 480hz 8 bit without DSC DP 1.4 what should be technicaly possible. But they maxed it out 360hz unfortunately.
This is a other apportunity for Zowie to distinguish themselves in a positive matter. Aspecialy cause the xl2586x has HDMI2.1 that should manage 540hz withouth DSC easily.

Kind regards,

David

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 16 Apr 2024, 07:33

daviddave1 wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 01:02
I got a other reply from Zowie:

Hi David,
Thanks for your feedback. I will share your feedback to our team.

By the way, wondering if you already tried the DSC On and Off, and also you feel the difference?

That I answered with:

‐‐-------
Hello Zowie! Thank you for the reply and for for forwarding my message! I truly appreciate that!
I tried 360hz without DSC on the ASUS pg248qp it felt very responsive. I wish it had 480hz 8 bit without DSC DP 1.4 what should be technicaly possible. But they maxed it out 360hz unfortunately.
This is a other apportunity for Zowie to distinguish themselves in a positive matter. Aspecialy cause the xl2586x has HDMI2.1 that should manage 540hz withouth DSC easily.

Kind regards,

David
Got r a other reply:

Hi David, thanks for your sharing.
I know you tried DSC off, but not sure if you also tested with DSC on and if you can feel the difference?
------
zo 4:42 a.m.
Hello Zowie, yes I tried both. With DSC off 360 hz I broke some high scores. With DSC on I did not.
zo 8:56 a.m.
In addition. Please take a look at the topic on the Blurbustersforum called DSC Problems & Misinformation [DSC IS NOT A HOAX]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12730
zo 1:50 p.m.
Chief Blurbusters also says some things in this topic. ( its a new topic) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12730&p=99795#p99795 is his starting post in the topic
------
zo 1:55 p.m.
Hi, sorry for late reply and thanks for your sharing.
yeah, we also checked the comments there, and it has different opinions there, it is interesting to check.
3:41 a.m.
There are many factors impact the in game performance, it is a complicate issue than just a DSC. thanks for your sharing and support.
3:42 a.m.
------
tnx so much for looking at the comments with the team! This is highly apreciated! I wont forget his! Good Luck with everything Zowie!

Last comment about DSC. Cause DSC can make things complicated its more obvious to disable it when using HDMI 2.1. 540hz 1080P cause HDMI 2.1. does not need it. The question still remains: Is DSC enabled on the 540hz mode with HDMI 2.1? I hope someone can still answer it somehow. If not then not. I tried my best. Kind regards. David

olofsson_tom

Post by olofsson_tom » 17 Apr 2024, 08:50

I have the monitor, running on a supra hdmi 2.1 cable and can confirm DSC is indeed enabled. Integer scaling is missing in nvcp and custom resolutions are not possible.
Can not feel any lag however or anything bad, but i guess everything can always get better and since DSC is not needed anyway it would be nice if Zowie can offer a software update to shut off DSC whenever hdmi is used to connect and have it enabled on displayport.
Even if the only thing to come out of that is custom resolutions that would be really nice. Thank you for your persistence David!

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 17 Apr 2024, 13:09

olofsson_tom wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 08:50
I have the monitor, running on a supra hdmi 2.1 cable and can confirm DSC is indeed enabled. Integer scaling is missing in nvcp and custom resolutions are not possible.
Can not feel any lag however or anything bad, but i guess everything can always get better and since DSC is not needed anyway it would be nice if Zowie can offer a software update to shut off DSC whenever hdmi is used to connect and have it enabled on displayport.
Even if the only thing to come out of that is custom resolutions that would be really nice. Thank you for your persistence David!
From my understanding the lack of customising
resolutions on 540 hz has nothing to do with DSC. It's a NVIDIA driver issue. The Asus pg248qp can customize resolutions on 500hz 12 bit color DP. 1.4. This is the monitorsetting without the overclock but with DSC still on. ( if u disable DSC on the pg248qp monitor u can only have 360hz max)
Can u please check if its possible to do a custom res on the zowie with EDID on 500H ( there should be a option for this in the options. Like the Asus this will give the monitor a max of 500hz instead of 540hz.