Acer announces 144hz IPS 1440p G-SYNC! [XB270HU, XG270HU]

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
gamma

Acer announces 144hz IPS 1440p G-SYNC! [XB270HU, XG270HU]

Post by gamma » 03 Jan 2015, 13:30

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/01/prweb12421775.htm
Las Vegas, NV (PRWEB) January 03, 2015

-Acer XB270HU is the world’s first NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ enabled gaming monitor with an IPS display that offers consistent, clear images from 178-degree wide viewing angles

-Acer XG270HU is the world’s first gaming monitor with an edge-to-edge frameless display for seamless viewing and quick 1ms response time

-Both monitors sport a 27-inch display with WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution and fast 144Hz refresh rate

Acer announces two new gaming monitors with some world first designs. The Acer XB270HU is the world’s first NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ gaming monitor equipped with IPS technology, and the Acer XG270HU is the world’s first gaming monitor with an edge-to-edge frameless display. Both of these 27-inch displays come with WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution and a fast 144Hz refresh rate to enhance in-gaming performance.

The XB270HU is the first NVIDIA® G-SYNC™-enabled gaming monitor to feature IPS technology, which provides consistently clear images from up to 178 degree wide viewing angles. NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology ensures every frame rendered by the GPU is perfectly portrayed by synchronizing the monitor’s refresh rates to the GPU in a GeForce® GTX-powered PC. This breakthrough technology eliminates screen tearing and minimizes display stutter and input lag to deliver a smooth, fast and dynamic gaming experience for all the latest PC game titles. Scenes appear instantly, objects are visually sharp, and gameplay is more responsive to provide faster reaction times, giving gamers an advantage. Even in multi-monitor setups, the Acer XB270HU delivers crisp images from wide viewing angles to provide an excellent in-game experience. Furthermore, its multi-functional ErgoStand allows users to tilt, swivel and adjust the height to the most comfortable viewing position.

The XG270HU is the world’s first gaming monitor with an edge-to-edge frameless display which maximizes viewing area and provides a more seamless viewing experience for multi-monitor setups. A quick 1ms response time assures that actions or dramatic transitions will be rendered smoothly without smearing or ghosting effects. Built with post-consumer recycled ABS plastic, this monitor adorns the characteristic Acer gaming identity with a bold orange strip along the bottom horizontal frame and also outlines the base stand. For easy connectivity, the XG270HU includes HDMI 2.0, DVI, and DisplayPort 1.2.

To reduce eye strain and potential long-term damage to eye health by heavy users such as gamers and programmers, the XG270HU is built with Acer EyeProtect technologies. This includes flicker-less technology that eliminates screen flicker through a stable supply of power; ComfyView which reduces reflection from light sources on the non-glare panel, low-dimming technology that adjusts screen brightness when working in non-optimal lighting conditions, and a blue light filter to reduce blue light exposure.

Acer has the most comprehensive lineup of gaming monitors on the market with 24-, 27- and 28-inch sizes and across FHD, WQHD and 4K2K UHD resolution displays.

Availability
The Acer XB270HU and XG270HU monitors will be available globally and begin shipping in March 2015. To learn more about availability, product specifications and prices in specific markets, please contact your nearest Acer office via http://www.acer.com.
XB270HU

XG270HU

Falkentyne

Re: Acer announces first 144hz IPS 1440p display with G-Sync

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Jan 2015, 13:45

So this monitor doesn't have ULMB, then?
I assume it doesn't have a strobed backlight and gsync and ULMB are supposed to be integrated together, but I guess ULMB got removed because an IPS can't do strobing yet, I'm guessing? (we already saw a VA panel with a strobing backlight and the input lag left something to be desired for FPS games....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer announces 144hz IPS 1440p G-SYNC! [XB270HU, XG270HU

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2015, 14:52

Thanks for the heads up!
Blogged at http://www.blurbusters.com/breaking-new ... hz-coming/

Sources tell me it won't have LightBoost/ULMB. IPS just ain't fast enough yet, alas (for artifacts-free strobing at 120Hz). The other monitor, on the other hand, should have it but the specific strobe technology is still TBA (LightBoost, Turbo240, MOTION240, ULMB, BENQ Blur Reduction, etc.)

Also created a new "News & Rumors" forums for Blur Busters Forums in anticipation of the flood of CES 2015 announcements.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 03 Jan 2015, 17:27

It's too bad there isn't a 1080p model as well. I'll take a higher framerate over a higher resolution any day.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 03 Jan 2015, 20:34

I'm still waiting for the perfect monitor.

The OLED 4k true 240hz With GSync and ULMB built in.

With that said, I'm actually waiting for a decent 144hz 1440p screen.

Right now, we just have the Swift, and it's not so good. I like the idea of the 1440p 144hz IPS, but it would be a downgrade in terms of response time, for me.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jan 2015, 05:29

I would imagine that this monitor would look like shit because of the GTG times right :?:
PoWn3d_0704 wrote: The OLED 4k true 240hz With GSync and ULMB built in.
OLED pixels emit their own light and are superquick, making them not need "ULMB" technology. :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2015, 06:01

lexlazootin wrote:OLED pixels emit their own light and are superquick, making them not need "ULMB" technology. :D
Unfortunately, OLED still needs strobing to eliminate motion blur.

Even 0ms instant pixel response has motion blur, because of something called "persistence" (sample-and-hold)

- Motion Test: Animation Of Motion Blur Caused By Persistence (motion blur unrelated to pixel response!!!)
- Article: Why Do Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?

GtG and persistence are two totally different things. GtG is pixel transition (movement from one color to another), while persistence is pixel static time (continuous shine, sample-and-hold). All non-flickering displays, including OLED, still has a sample-and-hold effect that creates motion blur. When you track moving eyes on the screen, your eyes are at a different position at the beginning of a refresh cycle than at the end of a refresh cycle. Your eyes are continuously moving, while the static refreshes are stepping forward at 60 or 120 images per second. The static frames gets retinally blurred across your vision. This persistence blur (seen in this animation) is NOT caused by GtG pixel transition. Another good article explaining this, is written by Michael Abrash, at http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/d ... ng-judder/

Most 1ms LCDs have 16.7ms of persistence. Most 60Hz OLED TVs have 16.7ms of persistence, unless black frame insertion is enabled, or rolling scan is enabled.

Even C|Net agrees that OLED has motion blur -- Black Frame Insertion Busting Blur From Oculus To LCD TVs -- they even credited the OLED article that I wrote.

Now, regular OLED has less motion blur than regular LCD. However, strobed LCD has less motion blur than non-strobed OLED. Oculus added strobing to their Oculus Development Kit VR goggles, in the form of an OLED rolling scan.

So, yes, OLED needs strobing to eliminate motion blur!
Unless you come up with a true 1000fps @ true 1000Hz OLED to achieve 1/1000sec persistence (1ms) without strobing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 04 Jan 2015, 08:39

Tom's and Guru3D are quoting a 1ms response time for this'IPS' screen, but that's gotta be a mistake...

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jan 2015, 11:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Most 1ms LCDs have 16.7ms of persistence. Most 60Hz OLED TVs have 16.7ms of persistence, unless black frame insertion is enabled, or rolling scan is enabled.
I thought all OLED screens flickerd or were rolling scan because this was the only video i could find of one slowed down.
http://youtu.be/jTfvwOGu4EI

I don't understand how there is 16.7ms of presistance, at 60hz thats a full frame with no transition time... wouldn't that mean that mean pixels transition is instantaneous? what makes a TN pannel better then a IPS pannel then? so confused. :?

going to re-read some of your articals...

EDIT: Holy shit, so many errors.
Last edited by lexlazootin on 04 Jan 2015, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2015, 13:03

lexlazootin wrote:I thought all OLED screens flickerd or were rolling scan because this was the only video i could find of one slowed down.
Not all of them. Your Samsung Galaxy and PlayStation Vita doesn't use rolling black periods.

lexlazootin wrote:Also, because i don't understand how there is 16.7ms of presistance, at 60hz thats a full frame with not transition time...
OLED pixel transitions are really fast (a millisecond or less) so most of the motion blur seen is specifically persistence-related. Also, GtG time adds to persistence time. There were LCDs that were so slow that GtG was longer than a refresh cycle (e.g. 33ms LCDs). 16.7ms is always a minimum persistence for any flicker-free 60Hz display, the longer the GtG is, it can actually cause persistence to exceed a refresh cycle. But persistence can never be less than a refresh cycle unless there's black period (strobing, rolling scan, black frame, etc). Lowering persistence is via higher Hz, or via adding blackness between Hz.
lexlazootin wrote: wouldn't that mean that mean pixels transition is instantaneous? what makes a TN pannel better then a IPS pannel then? so confused. :?
The faster pixel response is still noticeable, but persistence, of course, is the motion blur bottleneck when we're comparing 1ms versus 2ms versus 4ms GtG -- the difference is very subtle when that's a smaller cause of motion blur than the sample-and-hold effect itself (full refresh cycle).