Blur Busters goes to CES 2015

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Blur Busters goes to CES 2015

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2015, 14:25

Yesterday, I booked an ultra-last-minute 2-day trip to CES, due to the large number of 120Hz announcements, to cover as a blog reporter.

I, myself, am going to be roaming CES 2015 on Thursday January 8th, and Friday January 9th. CES is the world's biggest convention with exploring surface area is an order of magnitude larger than a football field -- and I will try to explore as much as possible in this short 2-day time span. Post your suggestions on which booths to visit!

...I will also be visiting exhibits held by both AMD and NVIDIA
...I will also be visiting "Better Than 60Hz" display makers such as ASUS/BENQ/ACER/Samsung/ViewSonic/etc.
...I'll be posting photographs and comments, during breaks and end of the day.
...Vendors, who wants to invite me (as the Chief Blur Busters blog journalist) can email my phone below:

Mark Rejhon
Chief Blur Buster
mark[at]blurbusters.com
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

DICKTracy

Re: Blur Busters goes to CES 2015

Post by DICKTracy » 07 Jan 2015, 15:22

I'm so happy for the whole forum!! Make sure to do some PR and get your name out there and what you do here to vendors that you don't deal with currently. More people will take notice of the work you do here!

Have a great time!

Boothbabes! :D haha

Haste

Post by Haste » 07 Jan 2015, 15:39

Looking forward to it!

Enjoy your trip Mark :)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 07 Jan 2015, 16:46

Nice! Hopefully you can get some first hand experience with FreeSync and see if it works as well as GSYNC.

Boildown

Post by Boildown » 07 Jan 2015, 21:17

I'm interested in "better than 60Hz" displays with a 21:9 aspect ratio. To date I don't know of any. Have you found any like that?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 07 Jan 2015, 23:33

I'm interested in getting information about AMD's freesync drivers, and the adaptive sync displays(though I'm aware much of this will need to wait until you can sit down and do a full review, unless you find an engineer that can actually talk about stuff):

AMD's drivers:
Do they use triple buffering while scanning out repeated frames? (necessary to keep a forced refresh from stalling the GPU)
Do they use double buffering when running at max refresh rate? (necessary for lowest latency v-sync fallback case)
Do they repeat frames earlier than necessary, if they predict a frame will finish during a forced refresh? (increases chance of a frame being displayed exactly when it finishes rendering, though practically limited to displays with a maximum refresh rate more than double the minimum refresh rate.)
Plans to address any of the above for which the answer is 'no'?
Any weirdness, where games that work well with g-sync don't work with freesync, or vice versa?

Adaptive sync displays:
Is there any noticeable input lag or flicker, over the specified refresh rate range?
Any plans to combine variable refresh with backlight pulsing?
Which of the freesync monitors implement backlight pulsing in fixed refresh mode?
How good do they look? (contrast ratio, viewing angles, color accuracy, etc.)
Minimum refresh rate for each of the (7?) announced displays?
Last edited by Sparky on 08 Jan 2015, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 07 Jan 2015, 23:43

Boildown wrote:I'm interested in "better than 60Hz" displays with a 21:9 aspect ratio. To date I don't know of any. Have you found any like that?
LG has a couple 2560x1080 panels coming out with freesync and a max refresh of 75hz.

Boildown

Post by Boildown » 08 Jan 2015, 01:46

Sparky wrote:
Boildown wrote:I'm interested in "better than 60Hz" displays with a 21:9 aspect ratio. To date I don't know of any. Have you found any like that?
LG has a couple 2560x1080 panels coming out with freesync and a max refresh of 75hz.
Saw that after I posted, but I think its a poor candidate for a monitor replacement for myself. I've got a GTX 980, so until Nvidia adds Freesync that would be wasted. And 75Hz isn't that much better than 60Hz anyways. And we don't know how well Freesync actually even works yet.

Still, at least there's something that will eventually be reviewed and get most of these questions answered, so its a good thing.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 08 Jan 2015, 02:17

Great stuff Mark. Please visit LG and AU Optronics and ask them whether they are honestly counting on performance improvements to IPS or VA panel tech

hanfpartei

Post by hanfpartei » 09 Jan 2015, 10:00

And could you ask Eizo for a 27'' VA 1440p?