Sony's rival to the Oculus Rift

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Black Octagon

Sony's rival to the Oculus Rift

Post by Black Octagon » 04 Mar 2015, 07:55

You guys heard of this? OLED screen running at 120fps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31723030

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Sony's rival to the Oculus Rift

Post by RealNC » 04 Mar 2015, 08:32

Occulus Rift, Sony Morpheus, AMD LiquidVR, HTC Vive, ...

Some major companies are singing up for the ride. Sony's stats look the best though, at this point.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Mar 2015, 10:22

I'm pretty sure Sony Morpheus is for only consoles and it's going to be a failure if it is. Running a ps4 game at 1080p 120fps with a fov of 100 is simply not going to be possible.

Are devs really going to want to lower their ingame settings so much to work with a unit a very small amount of people have, and people not buying it simply because there's no games for it? Do we know if they have sub millimeter motion detection and low 2-3ms persistence like the Oculus? I could see this easily going wrong, Even the sony team could be overestimated how precise the unit needs to work as a whole to make it be usable.

The best bet is someone hacks it to work for pc. :D

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 04 Mar 2015, 10:39

lexlazootin wrote:I'm pretty sure Sony Morpheus is for only consoles and it's going to be a failure if it is. Running a ps4 game at 1080p 120fps with a fov of 100 is simply not going to be possible.

Are devs really going to want to lower their ingame settings so much to work with a unit a very small amount of people have, and people not buying it simply because there's no games for it? Do we know if they have sub millimeter motion detection and low 2-3ms persistence like the Oculus? I could see this easily going wrong, Even the sony team could be overestimated how precise the unit needs to work as a whole to make it be usable.

The best bet is someone hacks it to work for pc. :D
Sure, the PS4's not going to render "The Division" in stereo with any kind of playability, but I could easily see it running stylized, VR-intended games at 120 fps in 1080p. Even at the highest quality settings on PC, games are still not realistic-looking enough at the kind of pixel densities we're talking about with current VR tech to warrant the effort of rendering them that at the highest possible level, so why not start small - with simple, compact scenes with not a lot of polygons but high color contrasts that play to the advantages of the low-latency, high-refresh OLED displays they're using with "presence" in a virtual world instead of trying to convince the user that he's in an otherwise real and physical location.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Mar 2015, 12:01

They could do that, but are you talking about a game that they are going to ship to store shelfs, or just a small Sony store downloadable. People are really not going to buy a $300+ unit if they can only run a few small indie games and not the big AAA games.

I just feel like it's going to be the neverending cycle of, I'm not buying it because there are no games for it and no one's going to develop for it because no one is buying it.

I could be wrong but I really do think Sony is crazy for even trying this.

Edit: it kinda reminds me of 3d tvs.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 05 Mar 2015, 18:36

1080p isn't high enough resolution for VR. Which is exactly why the occulus is going higher. Sony is at least starting to go the right direction with it though. Maybe it will at least be decent and not just another gimmick.

flood

Post by flood » 05 Mar 2015, 21:34

maybe it would be acceptable if they used microlenses to improve the fill factor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2015, 12:26

I've found that a lot of competing VR headsets other than Oculus, do not use persistence-lowering techniques. At least up to this date.

On this regards, Oculus is far, far ahead of all the competition, and it makes a huge difference in reducing nausea.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!