New AUO 144Hz panels (VA & TN)

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Q83Ia7ta

New AUO 144Hz panels (VA & TN)

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 Aug 2015, 16:26

30" 21:9 2560x1080 144Hz VA curved & 23.8" 16:9 2560x1440 144Hz TN
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archiv ... #auo_144hz

Edmond

Re: New AUO 144Hz panels (VA & TN)

Post by Edmond » 24 Aug 2015, 01:16

This is fucking awesome indeed.

Hoping they make that 30" AFFORDABLE for the masses. More people should see how glorious 21:9 gaming is.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Aug 2015, 02:33

I've never had the chance to see VA in person, how does it compare to ips?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 24 Aug 2015, 09:49

Edmond wrote:This is fucking awesome indeed.

Hoping they make that 30" AFFORDABLE for the masses. More people should see how glorious 21:9 gaming is.
I doubt they will make this 23.8" TN 1440p for the masses :(

Vayra

Post by Vayra » 31 Aug 2015, 07:40

IPS cannot hold a candle to VA in my humble opinion.

VA = zero bleed zero glow and extreme static contrast ratio. My FG2421 has 5000:1 static, 8bit+FRC, 120hz with a universally applicable strobe utility (240turbo). IQ is unmatched, IPS cannot reach this contrast and recent IPS offerings all have this annoying IPS glow which makes using IPS in dark rooms or dark games incredibly annoying. I came from a Dell U2515H. The only real tangible drawback I see with VA is the slight contrast/gamma shift from left to right. If I look at monitor edges, contrast is slightly reduced. But it is nowhere near as visible as IPS glow is, even during the day. Where IPS 'feels' like an LCD, VA really does 'feel' like a CRT at 120hz.

VA only suffers from a slower black-dark grey transition, it shows only ever so slightly in very specific situations but honestly after a few days of use, it is easy to get used to and I hardly even notice it today. Input lag on VA can be low enough not to matter at all either, although I am sure the 0ms-knights will disagree. But in my book, if you think 3-6 ms is a life and death difference, you have lost the plot and are just looking at spreadsheets too much.

Note however that the only fast VA is the FG2421 until now, Acer and Iiyama have some VA's but they're not gaming panels and horribly slow on transition and input lag. VA when done right, is awesome and for me the best of panel tech until OLED.

Glide

Post by Glide » 31 Aug 2015, 08:36

Vayra wrote:IPS cannot hold a candle to VA in my humble opinion.

VA = zero bleed zero glow and extreme static contrast ratio. My FG2421 has 5000:1 static, 8bit+FRC, 120hz with a universally applicable strobe utility (240turbo). IQ is unmatched, IPS cannot reach this contrast and recent IPS offerings all have this annoying IPS glow which makes using IPS in dark rooms or dark games incredibly annoying. I came from a Dell U2515H. The only real tangible drawback I see with VA is the slight contrast/gamma shift from left to right. If I look at monitor edges, contrast is slightly reduced. But it is nowhere near as visible as IPS glow is, even during the day. Where IPS 'feels' like an LCD, VA really does 'feel' like a CRT at 120hz.

VA only suffers from a slower black-dark grey transition, it shows only ever so slightly in very specific situations but honestly after a few days of use, it is easy to get used to and I hardly even notice it today. Input lag on VA can be low enough not to matter at all either, although I am sure the 0ms-knights will disagree. But in my book, if you think 3-6 ms is a life and death difference, you have lost the plot and are just looking at spreadsheets too much.

Note however that the only fast VA is the FG2421 until now, Acer and Iiyama have some VA's but they're not gaming panels and horribly slow on transition and input lag. VA when done right, is awesome and for me the best of panel tech.
The problem is that you have to make such big compromises whether you go with IPS or VA. There's no "right" answer.
With IPS you compromise on contrast ratio, with VA you compromise on a lot of other things.

VA panels suffer from extremely bad gamma shifting and contrast "hot-spotting".
They often have mura or "clouding". (not the same as backlight bleeding)
They often - though not always - have pixel structures which don't make them very suitable for use as a monitor.

Contrast hot-spotting on the FG2421:

The source image seems to have disappeared, but I made a similar one to test: http://abload.de/img/stripes0lkay.png

If I had to buy a new screen today, I really don't know what I would choose.
Apparently the 5000:1 contrast panels from Sharp that Eizo were using in the FG2421 are out of production now, so any new VA monitor will have a 3000:1 AMVA+ panel that is not nearly as good.
Given the choice between that and a really nice 1400:1 IPS panel, I think I would choose the latter.

The screen that I currently use is a 46" TV with one of those 5000:1 Sharp VA panels, and as time goes on, the problems of VA really start to bother me a lot more, compared to how nice some of the new IPS panels are. Of course I haven't spent much time with those IPS panels in a dark room trying to watch a movie or play a dark game...

Vayra

Post by Vayra » 31 Aug 2015, 09:27

That contrast picture of the FG2421 is very similar to my panel, but in reality it IS a whole lot less noticeable than what it shows there. Then again that's the point of the picture of course :) My upper right corner is definitely a little lower in contrast/a little washed out. It was the first thing I noticed when I turned it on. Then after a couple of days and calibration, I stopped noticing it. Tweaking black levels and lowering brightness helps alot there (mine is set on 40/100 and it still keeps the darkest grays)

prdp

Post by prdp » 13 Nov 2015, 14:48

Glide wrote:Apparently the 5000:1 contrast panels from Sharp that Eizo were using in the FG2421 are out of production now, so any new VA monitor will have a 3000:1 AMVA+ panel that is not nearly as good.
Hi,

Do you have any way to confirm this information ?

I just received my 2nd FG2421 (1st one was defective) and I'm seeing some washed-out colors on the edges of the screen... And I think there is some cross-hatching too. Like someone left a fingerprint on the screen.

So I don't know if I'm going to keep it. The thing is there nothing else in 1080p not TN high refreshrate.

Thank you for your help.

prdp

Post by prdp » 13 Nov 2015, 15:53

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I just checked, both are manufactured after 06.2015 :(

Is there any way to know what panel they use now and what they're worth ?