Asus 240hz native new screen

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Trip

Re: Asus 240hz native new screen

Post by Trip » 07 Mar 2017, 13:54

gbmaster wrote:I don't have a 680 though!

I have a 760, I can sell this on ebay and get the 750 which is actually cheaper !(and presumably a lower spec)
just seems weird to me that the 750 is supported but not the '60!
I believe the 760 and 770 are based on the kepler gpu's from the previous generation. Meaning they have mostly the same functionality also related to the pixel clock. The 750TI and lower are newer architecture (maxwell) so they dont suffer from those limitations. Still seems a bit of a waste to get a 750 though if you have a stronger gpu I would first try and see if you can get 240hz working with either cru or nvidia's resolution utility thing in the control panel. Great naming from nvidia here not confusing at all for consumers...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2017, 16:28

Yes, try a lower resolution first (960x1024 or 1280x720).
It might even lower input lag a smidgen too (less rendertime).

Create this custom resolution first in a Custom Resolution Utility (NVIDIA's or ToastyX's) and then try it out.

Upgrade Advice
If you are an older-engine Quake or CS:GO competitive gamer...and you actually paid for a 240Hz LCD...and you are considering an older GTX 750 for full-resolution 1920x1080? So, you should be informed that you should consider jumping all the way to a midrange 1000-series (such as a 1060). You can get less lag at the same framerate. This is because 240fps capped on older GTX 700-series (e.g. 4ms rendertimes) have slightly more lag than 240fps capped on GTX 1060 thru GTX 1080 (e.g. 1ms rendertimes). The frametime consistency will be even better, and your lag (even at same framerate) will be lower due to shorter interval between input (mouse/keyboard) & and the refresh cycles appearing. You may actually get better competition scores (even at the same framerates) by jumping several generations ahead to smooth out those frametimes & make aiming even more predictable. Especially if you're a paid eSports player.

You got a 240Hz Ferrari of a monitor. Literally, you want to use the best performance oil & high octane gas in it. Using a GTX 750 on a 240Hz is cheap dino oil & regular unleaded gasoline -- even for older engines like Counterstrike:GO. GTX 1060 3GB have fallen sub-$200 USD. Spend the $50 extra and pamper your 240Hz monitor!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Trip

Post by Trip » 07 Mar 2017, 17:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You can get less lag at the same framerate. This is because 240fps capped on older GTX 700-series (e.g. 4ms rendertimes) have slightly more lag than 240fps capped on GTX 1060 thru GTX 1080 (e.g. 1ms rendertimes).
Huh unless the game uses a lot of buffering I dont think that will happen if frame times are exactly the same. Overwatch is a game where this happens because it uses a lot of buffering but I dont think quake 3 or cs 1.6 (maybe cs:go) falls under this category. If you turn the pre rendered frame queue to 1, turn off triple buffering and turn off vsync I dont think this behavior would happen in these games. If you run at capped 250 fps the bottleneck will be the frame cap and there is no way around that unless you unlock it to go higher. But yeah I agree going for a 1060 instead of a 750 seems like a good idea since you can at least play on 1080p I doubt the 750 will do that in cs:go if you want 300 fps or higher. In quake or cs 1.6 the 750 should be fine though.

You should also turn off gpu scaling btw in the control panel if you are going to try a lower resolution. Otherwise the signal send to the monitor will be a 1080p signal and therefore you cant go around the pixel clock limit.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2017, 18:19

Certainly not all games, but some games will -- capping frame rate in certain games (not all of them) will cause a late-input-read effect that reduces latency. Or you may play uncapped or extreme cap to get the lag reductions, too -- in some cases, 3x more framerate = less VSYNC OFF lag.

Also, you get fewer harmonic-frequency microstutter effects (easier aiming) if you use overkill framerate to compensate for VSYNC OFF jitteriness/microstutter. For example, 500fps @ 240Hz can add slight competitive advantage over just 250fps @ 240Hz during VSYNC OFF situations, and reduces the VSYNC OFF microstutter.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gbmaster

Post by gbmaster » 09 Mar 2017, 06:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Yes, try a lower resolution first (960x1024 or 1280x720).
It might even lower input lag a smidgen too (less rendertime).

Create this custom resolution first in a Custom Resolution Utility (NVIDIA's or ToastyX's) and then try it out.

Upgrade Advice
If you are an older-engine Quake or CS:GO competitive gamer...and you actually paid for a 240Hz LCD...and you are considering an older GTX 750 for full-resolution 1920x1080? So, you should be informed that you should consider jumping all the way to a midrange 1000-series (such as a 1060). You can get less lag at the same framerate. This is because 240fps capped on older GTX 700-series (e.g. 4ms rendertimes) have slightly more lag than 240fps capped on GTX 1060 thru GTX 1080 (e.g. 1ms rendertimes). The frametime consistency will be even better, and your lag (even at same framerate) will be lower due to shorter interval between input (mouse/keyboard) & and the refresh cycles appearing. You may actually get better competition scores (even at the same framerates) by jumping several generations ahead to smooth out those frametimes & make aiming even more predictable. Especially if you're a paid eSports player.

You got a 240Hz Ferrari of a monitor. Literally, you want to use the best performance oil & high octane gas in it. Using a GTX 750 on a 240Hz is cheap dino oil & regular unleaded gasoline -- even for older engines like Counterstrike:GO. GTX 1060 3GB have fallen sub-$200 USD. Spend the $50 extra and pamper your 240Hz monitor!
advice taken :P

Denial19

Post by Denial19 » 09 Mar 2017, 10:04

Hello,

Own this monitor recently. It's normal that the screen is not center? It's off bit like 1-2mm to leftside. It got black stuff(?) around.

I used own Benq xl2720z, control system is Windows 10 Pro. I have uninstall monitor driver in device manager before changing.

Mind you going unboxing, that lightcover clip break really easily. Just happen when removing that white stuff(?) out of box. I saw that small broked black plastic out too.

Mind my English language. I am currently not so good with writing.

Edit: The black stuff is not powered by backlight.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2017, 12:53

Denial19 wrote:Hello,

Own this monitor recently. It's normal that the screen is not center? It's off bit like 1-2mm to leftside. It got black stuff(?) around.
Which connection? I assume DisplayPort, since that's the only connection capable of pushing 1080p 240Hz (other than as an undocumented HDMI 2.0 mode)

It is possible that phase is a little off, but that is more common for VGA than for digital connections.

Are you able to see the entire 1920x1080 image? Or is a few pixels hidden off the left/right edge border?

Denial19

Post by Denial19 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Which connection? I assume DisplayPort, since that's the only connection capable of pushing 1080p 240Hz (other than as an undocumented HDMI 2.0 mode)

It is possible that phase is a little off, but that is more common for VGA than for digital connections.

Are you able to see the entire 1920x1080 image? Or is a few pixels hidden off the left/right edge border?
It's using displayport, I try to test if possibly to wig around on the back but it seems not to be possible.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Are you able to see the entire 1920x1080 image? Or is a few pixels hidden off the left/right edge border?
There like some unused(?) mm distant before plastic housing. Try my best with tablet camera.

irc much wider on right side and the looks from upper screen take more black as well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2017, 20:01

That is normal -- sometimes pixels on a glass substrate are shifted to allow circuitry embedded on the glass panel (behind the bezels).

I have the same thing on many of my monitors including an ASUS and a BENQ. It is a panel quirk that edges of a panel can be slightly asymmetric. (It used to be much worse in the old days -- years ago, one used to have gadgets with offset bezels to compensate for hidden LCD ribbons, substrate circuits, or edgelight assemblies etc) Every pixel is being displayed, except showing a little bit more (1mm or 2mm) of unused panel glass on one edge than the other. There are no LCD pixels in the black part of the glass.

Check an overscan pattern and put your browser in full screen mode (F11). If you can see the entire frame at left/right edge of 1920x1080p, you have no overscan cropping, no missing pixel space, and everything is normal. (For this particular test pattern at1080p, you should see a red line for bottom edge, on 1440p, you should see a multicolored line for bottom edge)

It's only abnormal if the resolution is cropped (e.g. incorrect phase) -- like an image cut-off at the left edge or the right-edge.

Denial19

Post by Denial19 » 11 Mar 2017, 20:07

I don't know much about productions. From what you saying my previous BenQ has a higher quality looks duo bezel cover.

Thanks.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Check an overscan pattern and put your browser in full screen mode (F11). If you can see the entire frame at left/right edge of 1920x1080p, you have no overscan cropping, no missing pixel space, and everything is normal.
Nothing abnormal.