Asus 240hz native new screen

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
lexlazootin

Re: Asus 240hz native new screen

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Jan 2017, 19:43

Whats the math for vertical total and how long it takes to draw the frame?

When i got my Zisworks monitor i could overclock the VT to 2200~ and Zis said he wasn't able to get his above 1400 and that's why he never FreeSync a shot. He later game me a updated firmware for strobing to work.

How fast is 2200 and how would it compare to 240hz draw times?

Screenshot i sent him at the time since my phone wasn't working: http://i.imgur.com/gqaK1gP.png

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 22 Jan 2017, 20:30

Wait a second.
What monitor is this?
How are you getting firmwares?
I can't even get Benq to release a firmware to enable single strobing on their XL2735 or XL2540....so how are you getting firmwares?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2017, 20:34

lexlazootin wrote:Whats the math for vertical total and how long it takes to draw the frame?

When i got my Zisworks monitor i could overclock the VT to 2200~ and Zis said he wasn't able to get his above 1400 and that's why he never FreeSync a shot. He later game me a updated firmware for strobing to work.

How fast is 2200 and how would it compare to 240hz draw times?

Screenshot i sent him at the time since my phone wasn't working: http://i.imgur.com/gqaK1gP.png
1080p embedded in a 2200p vertical total video signal means the visible image part of the video signal is 1080/2200ths of 1/121th of a second at 121Hz. Mathematically this boils down to a ~1/246th of a second. That's 1080 visible, 1120 blanking -- calculated from (vertical total minus visible equals blanking).

Formula in seconds:

Time spent in LCD scan = (vertical visible resolution / vertical total) x (length of refresh cycle)
Time spent in blanking interval = ((vertical total - vertical visible resolution) / vertical total) x (length of refresh cycle)

length of refresh cycle = 1 / refresh rate in Hz

In this case, you result in approx 0.0042 second (4.2ms) for this situation, for both numbers. Both numbers can be identical (or nearly so) if vertical total is exactly (or nearly) twice the vertical resolution. This means the LCD is spending half of the time scanning, and spending half of the time idling between refresh cycles.

Assuming instant mode operation (darn near directly scan from video signal). LCD scan, meaning "initiating the beginnings of the GtG transition". In most TN LCDs, this is done one pixel row at a time. The GtG completions lag approximately 1ms behind, so in high-speed videos, it looks like a vertical wipe. (Good example is high speed video of LightBoost). In your situation, if we pointed a high speed camera at this screen, the "vertical wipe" effect of the LCD scan -- would run top-to-bottom twice as fast, and add a much longer pause between refresh cycles.

So basically, for LCDs that are scanned directly from the video signal (instant mode operation) -- then VT2200 means a 121Hz refresh cycle is being scanned top-to-bottom-edge in 1/246th of a second. Basically, twice as fast as a regular 120Hz refresh cycle. You'll be needing the 240Hz LCD overdrive lookup table, for such a fast scanrate, as regular overdrive (tuned for 120Hz) won't necessarily look proper at this scanrate (closer scanrate used for 240Hz).

This produces a vertical blanking interval big enough to drive a truck through -- approx 4 milliseconds (A 120hz refresh cycle is 8.3ms, so that fast scan rate is half that). Assuming a 1ms of LCD GtG for a common TN gaming monitor -- then with with well-tuned overdrive (currently, I'm not 100% sure if zis tunes all G-to-G combinations equally for all scanrates), you could have 2-3ms strobe lengths for a much brighter strobed screen. Or ~0.5ms-1ms for a much-more-strobe-crosstalk-free screen given generous GtG grace period.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2017, 20:34

Falkentyne wrote:Wait a second.
What monitor is this?
I can't even get Benq to release a firmware to enable single strobing on their XL2735 or XL2540....so how are you getting firmwares?
zisworks is a monitor motherboard replacement -- at least that's what I understand it.
Firmwares are probably non applicable, since the motherboard is being replaced.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 Jan 2017, 02:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Falkentyne wrote:Wait a second.
What monitor is this?
zisworks is a monitor motherboard replacement -- at least that's what I understand it.
Firmwares are probably non applicable, since the motherboard is being replaced.
It's ZisWorks DVI board shipped with panel. Exclusive product :)
Firmware is easy applicable. http://www.zisworks.com/

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 23 Jan 2017, 07:06

Yea, Zis sent me a little 'mini usb serial header' thing that i plugged into the board and did some putty stuff to update it.

Friendly bloke, answers all my annoying questions every time i have one :)

He's working on a 4k 120hz here if you want some updates on what he's upto https://hardforum.com/threads/seiki-se5 ... 71/page-51

Edit: Oh, and from my understanding he doesn't really control the overdrive at all (From my understanding)

And the strobe times (persistence) were supposed to be tied to your VT but mine was much darker then it was saying, making it a bit to dark on my panel. Since he can't really replicate the same performance and because he's working on other things i don't want to bothering him to much to try and fix it.

RPGWiZaRD

Post by RPGWiZaRD » 01 Feb 2017, 08:00

Why do we have 2 threads for this display? Hard to tell which one to post in. :p

Anyway it seems at least to me personally, it will be priced slightly bit better than I had guessed:

http://geizhals.eu/asus-rog-swift-pg258 ... 51609.html

Several german sites already listing it for 619 EUR, personally I had expected 649 EUR, so there's even chances of $599 list pricing on newegg and alike with the current eu<->usd pricing going on comparing other displays. I was guessing 50€/$50 USD higher personally.

While it's high cost for a 24.5" TN 1080p panel, considering it's a rather special one at 240Hz and GSYNC and 240Hz ULMB capability, it's still fairly "ok"'ish price.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 02 Feb 2017, 08:54

So does it work with ULMB at 240Hz or not? It would be great to have G-Sync+ULMB at that maximum refresh rate.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

RPGWiZaRD

Post by RPGWiZaRD » 02 Feb 2017, 13:17

masterotaku wrote:So does it work with ULMB at 240Hz or not? It would be great to have G-Sync+ULMB at that maximum refresh rate.
Yes that has been confirmed.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2017, 14:02

How does strobe crosstalk look at 240Hz?

Full screen of TestUFO Alien Invasion is a good test pattern for verifying strobe crosstalk. It will probably be very bad at top/bottom edges and relatively clear (faint ghosts) in middle. Generally, the higher the refresh rate, the worse the strobe crosstalk is, depending on how the monitor has been optimized.