Samsung's 2017 Scanning Back-Light Monitor Lineup

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Vega

Samsung's 2017 Scanning Back-Light Monitor Lineup

Post by Vega » 27 Mar 2017, 22:00

Some interesting news coming from Samsung. Late last year they introduced a 24" and 27" 1080p VA panel monitors that have 4-zone scanning back-lights at 144 Hz with an associated 1ms MPRT. The scanning back-light allows the removal of a lot of cross-talk. This is due to the back-light scan following the pixel transitions appropriately. ULMB flashes the back-light all at once, allowing cross-talk. Samsung was also able to accomplish this whilst keeping the monitor fairly bright. ~250 nits. Typically a pretty large detractor of ULMB, which is mainly only usable at night due to it's ~110 nit maximum brightness.

The good news is that Samsung will be releasing 2560x1440 versions of this monitor sometime this year. They are also adding HDR support.

CHG70:
1. 27 and 31.5" versions.
2. VA panel with 3000:1 contrast.
3. Curved.
4. 2560x1440
5. 144 Hz refresh rate.
6. HDR.
7. 1ms MPRT 4-zone scanning back-light.
8. 125% sRGB Quantum Dot color.
9. Both FreeSync and G-Sync models.
10. Brightness whilst strobing should be 250+ nits.

This ticks a LOT of boxes as the ultimate gaming display for motion clarity. The only screen that may eclipse it this year would be the announced 4K 144 Hz FALD G-Sync displays. Although, it will be seen if they do some crazy cool stuff with that FALD back-light or if they just full back-light strobe it in ULMB like every other G-Sync monitor. That would be a waste!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Samsung's 2017 Scanning Back-Light Monitor Lineup

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 22:18

I'm excited about what 2017 comes.

250 nits is much better for blur reduction!

I hope ULMB Pulse Width is adjustable, to permit lower MPRT's (e.g. 0.5ms).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2017, 05:12

That seems slightly counter-productive inventing a new scrolling light-boost with only a VA panel. VA panels are amazing but have such high response times that even though you won't get any crosstalk you will probably end up with a bunch of ghosting issues.

But maybe they figured it out.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Mar 2017, 05:34

lexlazootin wrote:VA panels are amazing but have such high response times that even though you won't get any crosstalk you will probably end up with a bunch of ghosting issues.
High response time is actually a major cause for crosstalk. So if you end up with ghosting, you should also see crosstalk.

So this new strobing method seems it's "all or nothing." Either no crosstalk and no ghosting, or you still got both of them.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2017, 06:34

I think of crosstalk as the issue of the monitor not displaying the whole image at the same time. It's the little part at the top and bottom of your screen because you set your persistance to 1ms, and the screen takes 2ms to scan for example. Even with 0ms response time, you can still get 'crosstalk'.

But i get what you're saying.

Vega

Post by Vega » 28 Mar 2017, 07:14

I get my 1080p test version today. I'll let you guys know about the cross-talk and ghosting.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2017, 09:13

Vega wrote:I get my 1080p test version today. I'll let you guys know about the cross-talk and ghosting.
"test version"?

igluk

Post by igluk » 28 Mar 2017, 11:16

Test have already been done for the CFG70 series, aside from some overshoot artifacts, they're not that bad.

(source: pcmonitors.info)

(source: limscave.de)

(source: rhyshan.com/480)

Vega

Post by Vega » 28 Mar 2017, 17:45

Well this test was a bust. Cross-talk is WAY worse on the Samsung's than ULMB. Funny thing is that the 4-zone scan makes the cross-talk uniform vertical across the panel. The problem is it's bad cross-talk. :x

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2017, 10:48

Vega wrote:Well this test was a bust. Cross-talk is WAY worse on the Samsung's than ULMB. Funny thing is that the 4-zone scan makes the cross-talk uniform vertical across the panel. The problem is it's bad cross-talk. :x
P.S. It's strobe crosstalk. I add strobe as a qualifier because the word "crosstalk" comes from the use of 3D Vision glasses.

I am surprised because a tester said one of the Samsungs did better than ULMB.
Perhaps it is something that varies a bit... So I'm curious if there's a variance somewhere.

Did you warm up the LCD for at least 30 minutes?

Cold LCD's ghost much more than warm. Especially VA panels.

EIZO FG2421 ghosting, when cold:

EIZO FG2421 ghosting, after warming up for 30 minutes:

So warming up (higher temperatures) makes a really huge difference on VA panels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!