Acer Predator x27 - $2000 4K, 144Hz, G-Sync, RGB lighting

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
KevOW

Acer Predator x27 - $2000 4K, 144Hz, G-Sync, RGB lighting

Post by KevOW » 04 May 2017, 22:04

27 inch IPS panel supporting HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.4

4 ms response time, Quantum Dot technology, and G-Sync HDR

99%+ Adobe RGB color space

All black look with RGB lighting on the bottom!!

Comes out Q3 for anyone interested ;P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx-pujAWTbc
No input lag pls

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer Predator x27 - $2000 4K, 144Hz, G-Sync, RGB lightin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2017, 22:18

It's certainly a very pricey monitor!

But what I like about this is its local dimming. That's an expensive elite luxury feature.

Local dimming accomplishes CRT/plasma quality blacks on an LCD, and it also makes a scanning-backlight possible which can decrease strobe lag & reduce strobe crosstalk (to an extent). The Asus/Acer local dimming 4K 144Hz monitors are also going to be the first ULMB scanning-backlights monitors -- past ULMB was a full-screen-flashed strobe backlight.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 05 May 2017, 20:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It's certainly a very pricey monitor!

But what I like about this is its local dimming. That's an expensive elite luxury feature.

Local dimming accomplishes CRT/plasma quality blacks on an LCD, and it also makes a scanning-backlight possible which can decrease strobe lag & reduce strobe crosstalk (to an extent). The Asus/Acer local dimming 4K 144Hz monitors are also going to be the first ULMB scanning-backlights monitors -- past ULMB was a full-screen-flashed strobe backlight.
Too bad I don't think NVIDIA's ULMB+G-Sync simultaneous technology will make it into this model.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 May 2017, 10:57

My comment still stands...

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 353#p25869
jorimt wrote:*Drools.* Sees (eventual) price *dies.*

...Worth it 8-)
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 May 2017, 12:05

Chief Blur Buster wrote:But what I like about this is its local dimming. That's an expensive elite luxury feature.
I'm a sucker for local dimming myself.

The irony is that HDR support necessitates it on an LCD/non-self-emitting display; the 1000 nits required for the wider HDR range would mean extremely poor native contrast ratio without local dimming, and extremely high black levels.

In other words, if the display didn't support HDR, there is no way they'd bother with local dimming. The remaining benefits of local dimming are fortunate, but likely unintended by the manufacturer. I will be interested to see how well it avoids blooming.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 May 2017, 13:12

It's too early for that stuff. These monitors are barely out the door, and HDR10 has already been deprecated...

I'll just wait.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 May 2017, 13:47

@RealNC, Wise choice.

That said, some must buy in early in order to fund the given technology to a point that it has the opportunity to progress, mature, and ultimately become affordable/viable enough for the average buyer.

There are loads of people who whine about the latest release of an "overpriced" Titan upon its release, for instance, but the revenue gained by those willing to shell out for it is what makes it possible for them to release a card a year later for nearly half the price, and with more overall power.

Guinea Pigs are inevitable, I just try to avoid being one myself if it can be helped ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 May 2017, 17:00

RealNC wrote:It's too early for that stuff. These monitors are barely out the door, and HDR10 has
already been deprecated...
There is no HDR format war.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?s ... 1490619712

HDR10 isn't necessarily being deprecated but being supplemented by more HDR enhancements. That said, LCD can barely take asvantage of HDR10 as it is -- the future HDR standard is like an "8K120Hz" of HDR - that will really need new display tech to really milk properly - so it is stupidly silly to do the HDR equivalent deprecate 4K just cuz 8K is coming.

No need for that "skip" silliness in Blur Busters, ha. ;) HDR10 is a great addition, even if it is not the ultimate (like wanting 8K120Hz). In fact, the difference between the two HDR standards will end up being bottlenecked even by the 4K144Hz display. HDR standard would not be a big enough reason to skip this display, based on my HDR experience. The new HDR standards is a smaller difference than 4K and 8K due to the LCD bottleneck, so stop that silliness on Blur Busters before the "nah, skip" bug spreads like wildfire -- HDR10 doesn't even push LCD limits. Let's not put the figurative HDR equivalent of the 8K cart before the 4K horse. Have you seen real display-based HDR in action? (I have, and it's plainly clear LCD tech is bottlenecking it). There are difficulties pushing LCDs to even milk even the limits of HDR10. Not yet, anyway. Improvements of the best HDR10 LCDs are sufficiently impressively far beyond the contrast/gamut of today, yet still bottlenecked by LCD limits. 4K is still impressive, even in the era of 8K.

The local dimming part is the much, much bigger improvement to LCD -- but scarily expensive for many.

Cost is well worth the understandable legit nitpick by those who cannot afford.
The refresh rate of 96Hz during 4K HDR10 is more of the nitpick target.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 May 2017, 18:21

I didn't mean Dolby Vision, actually. I meant HDR10 Plus. Which means HDR 10 is the "old" one now. Even though the monitors are barely out :mrgreen:

So we have HDR10 which now is old tech. Then we have Dolby Vision, and then we have HDR10+ which is the answer to Dolby Vision.

I'm telling you, man. It's too soon to invest in that right now. You buy a brand-new $2000 screen, and it's "old and outdated" on arrival. It's like buying a very expensive DVD player while a month later BluRay and HD DVD come out. The "war" (if there is one), is now between Dolby and HDR10+. Plain old HDR10... who cares anymore. Get with the times ;-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2017, 11:32

HDR10+ is nice, but I bought a 4K model. It's sooooo outdated because 8K ;)

Seriously, 4K 144Hz is going to be sweet stuff for any dual-Titan rig! Even sans HDR.