LG demos 4K true 120Hz OLED TV

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
RealNC
Site Admin

LG demos 4K true 120Hz OLED TV

Post by RealNC » 17 May 2017, 02:39

"True 120Hz" meaning actual 120Hz input, not 60Hz double-strobed:

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/lg-and-s ... -oled.aspx

I assume since this is OLED, it can function very well as a gaming "monitor" if they have a low-latency function (many TVs do.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG demos 4K true 120Hz OLED TV

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 May 2017, 04:35

That's fantastic!

The recent 1080p LG HDTV display (on market) was confirmed recently by RTings to run 1080p @ 120Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 18 May 2017, 14:05

Really great news. Hopefully this can make it into 2018 OLED models with HDMI 2.1. (since TV manufactures except Panasonic never put Displayports on their TV's)

Basically a 55" 4K OLED at 120 Hz 4:4:4 is pretty much an end state display for me. ~8ms MPRT motion clarity with no trailing is good enough, combined with 120 Hz smooth/snappiness.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 May 2017, 08:26

Vega wrote:Basically a 55" 4K OLED at 120 Hz 4:4:4 is pretty much an end state display for me. ~8ms MPRT motion clarity with no trailing is good enough, combined with 120 Hz smooth/snappiness.
Don't forget OLED input lag. It's possible to do an OLED laglessly (instant scanout) but most HDTV-sized OLEDs need framebuffers and processing overhead (e.g. HDR, etc) so you might not have an end-state display.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 03 Jun 2017, 13:20

Ya it all depends on what electronics they package it with and how much processing they want to do. my 2017 C7 OLED is alredy down to 21ms input lag, which is quite noticeable even from the 2016 34ms.

Once you start getting down to 20ms and below, diminishing returns start to really kick in. 30-40 ms starts to become noticeable and over 40ms to me is unplayable.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 26 Jun 2017, 17:18

First and foremost, I want to congratulate Mark and RTINGS.com for all of their work leading up to this point in time that we have the first television set to support 1080p with a 120Hz input including the proper EDID to do so.

I purchased a C7 and I can vouch for the fact that it delivers simplicity for high speed 1080p including the low latency that you'll need for a good gaming display.

If they could scan the display to simulate a tube, they'd really have a unique offering for gamers in delivering correct temporal accuracy as well.

It's been almost a full ten years since I created the Wikipedia page for what is now called "display motion blur," and this is definitely a milestone in the story of doing displays correctly in the post-LCD-era.

http://ahightower.com

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jun 2017, 14:32

I'm pretty curious about what kind of OLED scanouts is currently going to be done with these LG displays.

To achieve HDR, and to avoid 60Hz flicker, most OLEDs have to use full-persistence scanouts. Which kind of limits motion blur.

That said, an optional rolling-scan mode hopefully can be included in 120Hz OLED monitors, since 120Hz flicker is tolerable.

Even 60Hz-scanout OLEDs, given sufficient simultaneous pixel-row-scanout channels, might be able to be repurposed to true 120Hz refresh. I've created a thread regarding Custom Low-Persistence OLED Scanouts. Hopefully some engineers can brainstorm on lowering persistence of an OLED screen, with fewer compromises.

BattleAxeVR

Post by BattleAxeVR » 26 Aug 2018, 11:26

120hz BFI flicker is barely visible to me too, but I can somewhat notice it and it's only OK. The motion clarity improvement is significant though, for sure. I'd still prefer 120 fps @ 240hz.