Acer XF270HA

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
value

Acer XF270HA

Post by value » 23 Sep 2017, 15:26

Hi guys,

I'm looking on any infos on said display other than the tech specs found here: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8367dd8

It seems to be only available at amazon.de right now, and at 450€ for a 240hz 27" it's very interesting to me.

In particular, I'm looking to upgrade from an ASUS VG248QE which I use with 120hz+lightboost for Overwatch and am really questioning if the perceived tearing will be any better on this 240hz display without any lightboost vs 120hz+LB.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer XF270HA

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Sep 2017, 23:26

value wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking on any infos on said display other than the tech specs found here: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8367dd8

It seems to be only available at amazon.de right now, and at 450€ for a 240hz 27" it's very interesting to me.

In particular, I'm looking to upgrade from an ASUS VG248QE which I use with 120hz+lightboost for Overwatch and am really questioning if the perceived tearing will be any better on this 240hz display without any lightboost vs 120hz+LB.
For tearing -- Tearing is less visible on 240Hz monitors than 120Hz monitors, but is still available. Momentary tearlines flicker for only 1/240sec instead of 1/120sec. However, they are still visible.

For motion blur -- 240fps@240Hz non-strobed is great and low-lag, and is the lowest motion blur you can get on a non-strobed LCD (4ms). It will still have about twice as much motion blur as LightBoost100% and about four times as much motion blur as LightBoost10%, but it's still half the motion blur of 120fps@120Hz.

If you want to keep optional strobing -- why not use a modern strobed monitor (superior LightBoost clones)? There are now brighter, more colorful versions of LightBoost today, with a little less lag too. Approximately 300 nits on the ASUS PG258Q and Acer XB252Q, as well as on Benq's LightBoost clone (DyAc in XL2546). Generally, 240Hz monitors have much brighter/better strobing than older ULMB monitors (which were generally better than LightBoost monitors), so you'd now be upgrading about a couple generations ahead in the strobe-backlight department. They are listed in Official List of Best Gaming Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

value

Post by value » 24 Sep 2017, 07:26

Thank you very much for your input, helps a lot.

As I'd like to go for 27", the Acer XB272 seems to have all the qualities you've described in the size I'd like.

Seems like the XF270HA is some budget version of the XB272 panel without ULMB anyhow or am I jumping to conclusions here?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Sep 2017, 15:25

value wrote:Thank you very much for your input, helps a lot.

As I'd like to go for 27", the Acer XB272 seems to have all the qualities you've described in the size I'd like.

Seems like the XF270HA is some budget version of the XB272 panel without ULMB anyhow or am I jumping to conclusions here?
I currently have little information about how bright the XB272 panel is during strobed mode -- but it should be brighter than the XB272 LightBoost.

A monitor can use the same version of a panel, but use a much improved backlight controller capable of boost-pulses during strobing. So the same panel can often be strobed brighter with a better backlight controller.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!