FreeSync with HDR -- LG 32UD99-W

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

FreeSync with HDR -- LG 32UD99-W

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Apr 2017, 15:29

There's now a FreeSync monitor with HDR support:

LG 32UD99-W Display -- 4K FreeSync with HDR10

It has 95% of the DCI-P3 color gamut -- much larger than sRGB color gamut -- which is very good for an LCD computer monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: FreeSync with HDR -- LG 32UD99-W

Post by RealNC » 10 Apr 2017, 15:51

The price doesn't bid well for the upcoming HDR 144HZ IPS G-Sync monitors. If this one costs $1000, I suspect the upcoming high-refresh g-sync ones will most probably go for upwards of $1500...
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2017, 10:17

Not surprised,

I was actually totally expecting a little higher based on what I know (HDR and local dimming is extremely complex -- they triple or quadruple the price in some certain cases for first-come displays). Hundreds of individually separately-modultable LEDs (with more complex optics) is much costlier than one single modulatable edgelight and a sheet-based lightguide.

Prices will probably will come down in time.

Then again, for some readers here, price is no object.

For the upcoming 4K144 locally dimmable displays, it is probably the first time in history that true local LED dimming comes to consumer gaming computer monitors. Finally!

Man, I remember when it cost $1250 in year 1993 for a high end 17" monitor when everyone was using 14".
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Apr 2017, 13:12

Well, Acer announced the X27. 4K, HDR10, local dimming, IPS, 144Hz, G-Sync, everything.

$2000 :P

I wonder how much time it will take before we see equivalent OLEDs. Because that's what we're REALLY hoping for, isn't it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.