Freesync better than gsync?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Freesync better than gsync?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 15:09

We are very interested in how Freesync works out. But despite the delays, GSYNC currently has a huge headstart. It will take a few years for a FreeSync flood to occur, while the GSYNC flood will begin occuring within the next few months.

Both technologies are subject to developmental delays (amongst other factors).

Then we'd need to do a head-to-head test of the pros/cons of the respective VRR technologies (Variable Refresh Rate).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Papagaj

Post by Papagaj » 10 Aug 2014, 15:56

Hello guys

As an ASUS SWIFT owner I can clearly say that G-SYNC is the game changer. I would never ever go back to a NON G -SYNC monitor.

Had to sacrifice 3 inches thought. I used to have 30" monitor ...

Today I tried GTA4 and i could not believe my eyes. 50-55 FPS was laggy on 30" and here even 40 FPS felt like 60 fps. I'm not kidding and it is up to you if u gonna believe me or not :) The games are running like Wolfenstein 1 used to on 486 DX2.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 17:48

You should also test ULMB strobing too -- especially with http://www.testufo.com/photo (verify it correctly detects refresh rate first).

ULMB can win out for high consistent framerate situations (85fps@85Hz, 100fps@100Hz or 120fps@120Hz). When playing at consistent framerates exactly matching refresh rates (e.g. powerful GPU + VSYNC ON + double buffering + gaming mouse) motion becomes ultra crystal clear.

That said, GSYNC is lower lag, and certainly is the game changer for variable frame rate situations!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Aug 2014, 15:18

Well, even with low framerates, ULMB is going to at least give you similar results to what a CRT would give you with the same low framerates. I was playing Doom 3 on an old ATI 9800Pro back in the day, averaging ~50FPS on my CRT that was running at 100Hz. It still looked good.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 12 Aug 2014, 03:05

RealNC wrote:Well, even with low framerates, ULMB is going to at least give you similar results to what a CRT would give you with the same low framerates. I was playing Doom 3 on an old ATI 9800Pro back in the day, averaging ~50FPS on my CRT that was running at 100Hz. It still looked good.
Dunno, i would never use ULMB instead of gsync... for anything. Thats not the reason i would buy a gsync monitor.

I guess for DOOM3 nowadays you can use ulmb. But i wouldnt even do that. Dont get me wrong, the blur reduction is nice and all... but the artifact free gameplay is worth lightyears more imo.
This reminds me of people who turn on all the eyecandy and play @ ~30fps...

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 05 Sep 2014, 16:53

Only Latest AMD Silicon Will Support FreeSync Technology – R9 285, R9 290 and R9 290X Included
http://wccftech.com/specific-radeon-gpu ... -monitors/