Could FreeSync use LMB at the same time?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Krocket

Could FreeSync use LMB at the same time?

Post by Krocket » 19 Nov 2014, 13:43

Couldn't find a thread about this but I know you can't use G-Sync with LMB because of the engineering challenges but because of how FreeSync works could you use LMB with it? I don't know as much about FreeSync as I do G-Sync because it's still not being talked about all that much. Ty :D

Edmond

Re: Could FreeSync use LMB at the same time?

Post by Edmond » 19 Nov 2014, 16:51

I am pretty sure that any type of variable refresh rate require the panel to be flicker free.

And any form of motion blur reducing strobing is flicker by its nature. No one has a clue how to combine LMB and Variable Refresh Rates of any kind.

But check out this thread about laser projectors:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1156

I havent heard much about this tech but apparently it has no motion blur even at 60hz and thats achieved without flickering, just a sideeffect of the tech.

It MIGHT just be that laser projectors is the FIRST (and maybe even the only in our lifetime or next 20 years or so) way to combine LMB with VRR.

Krocket

Post by Krocket » 19 Nov 2014, 17:42

If the computer knows how long to wait before it strobes it could do it though right? Isn't LMB just strobing between the transition of frames? (layman's terms) If the monitor and GPU are pushing out the same FPS and Hz then the LMB would just have to know how fast that is and strobe accordingly. I might be terribly off but have only recently started reading up on all this.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 19 Nov 2014, 17:57

Edmond wrote:I am pretty sure that any type of variable refresh rate require the panel to be flicker free.

And any form of motion blur reducing strobing is flicker by its nature. No one has a clue how to combine LMB and Variable Refresh Rates of any kind.

But check out this thread about laser projectors:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1156

I havent heard much about this tech but apparently it has no motion blur even at 60hz and thats achieved without flickering, just a sideeffect of the tech.

It MIGHT just be that laser projectors is the FIRST (and maybe even the only in our lifetime or next 20 years or so) way to combine LMB with VRR.

There are actually plenty of theories people have on how to combine variable refresh rates with strobing. It is just no one has done them yet.

I would definitely mess around with it if I had the hardware to build it.

I would adjust the strobe length based on how long ago the last frame was. Just figure out how long you need to strobe to maintain consistent brightness. I think that would work very well without introducing any additional input lag.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 19 Nov 2014, 18:05

Strobing needs a constant refresh rate, cuz the strobes are for an equal interval every time. No way around it.

And if FPS doesnt match = all kinds of shit artifacts incoming. Which makes it a toy for those who can afford quad titan setups or only play several year old games.

Btw, i head that motion is something else entirely on OLED. Like looks really good and shit, even with the pixel persistence attached to static refresh rate. High hz gsync OLEDs probably are a more realistic solution to get VERY close to that goal of combining those two techs.

And, as i recently found out - laser projectors might get this done even at lower max refresh rates.

Both of these display technologies exist already. And i would rather pick one of those two instead of any strobing... because i prefer flicker free displays,... they are more eye-friendly.

Krocket

Post by Krocket » 19 Nov 2014, 18:19

Edmond wrote:Strobing needs a constant refresh rate, cuz the strobes are for an equal interval every time. No way around it.

And if FPS doesnt match = all kinds of shit artifacts incoming. Which makes it a toy for those who can afford quad titan setups or only play several year old games.

Btw, i head that motion is something else entirely on OLED. Like looks really good and shit, even with the pixel persistence attached to static refresh rate. High hz gsync OLEDs probably are a more realistic solution to get VERY close to that goal of combining those two techs.

And, as i recently found out - laser projectors might get this done even at lower max refresh rates.

Both of these display technologies exist already. And i would rather pick one of those two instead of any strobing... because i prefer flicker free displays,... they are more eye-friendly.
I thought OLEDs would never be cheap/popular because there's no real way to cheapen the manufacturing cost? If not then they sound amazing. Even the 1080p one I saw a while back was beautiful sitting next to 4K displays because of how good the colors and motion was.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 20 Nov 2014, 04:34

Krocket wrote:I thought OLEDs would never be cheap/popular because there's no real way to cheapen the manufacturing cost? If not then they sound amazing. Even the 1080p one I saw a while back was beautiful sitting next to 4K displays because of how good the colors and motion was.
LG opens a new factory in December and will quadruple their OLED panel manufacturing.

Also, the the thing that made OLED so expensive was that many pixels died at manufacturing, effectively needing to throw out half the panels. A few months back LG developed a way to bring back dead pixels in OLEDs during that process. This will greatly increase yields.

Dont know about other companies like Sony and Samsung (the only other two manufacturers that make big OLEDs in mass).